What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
put it this way, based on the precedent SBW has set -

Cam Smith can retire this year, Storm get to spend 1m odd dollars elseware, and retain B Smith and Grant

They only spend 800k of it, then come finals time next year we resign him for 150k for 4 games

Cam can just play finals for us every year

Obviously that isn't going to happen, and I don't think it would be fair if it did, but it would legally be allowed to happen

sounds like a very good plan, send it to Bellamy now! If good enough for roosters no reason why this couldn’t happen.

Pommy

Coach

Cam Smith can retire this year, Storm get to spend 1m odd dollars elseware, and retain B Smith and Grant

They only spend 800k of it, then come finals time next year we resign him for 150k for 4 games

Obviously that isn't going to happen, and I don't think it would be fair if it did, but it would legally be allowed to happen

I think we’ve got to look at the situation we’re in it’s very unusual times, this situation wouldn’t ever arrive normally.
I’ve no real issue with Roosters getting him and I think it’s good exposure for the NRL to have him back here. Plus I watched him for Toronto and I don’t think Roosters are getting an advantage out of this.

Legends

Juniors
which raises its own concerns with the rules, If SBW played a whole year on that money the roosters shouldn't be able to afford him, yet since he is only playing four games, they get to have him for the finals, essentially when looking at their squad and applying a "full year" perspective to it they are over the cap for the games that matter most

not saying they should pay him $750k, but when looking at cap compliancy it should be based on yearly salaries, hence SBW should count $750k towards their cap

Players have always been able to join clubs mid-season, its just that the cut off date is extended this year for obvious reasons.
By your logic, should Blake Green's full year salary be included in both the Warriors and the Knight's salary cap?

Legends

Juniors

No they can't. Assuming next season isn't impacted by Covid, the cut off date for registering players will revert to the usual 30 June.

This Year?

Immortal

It might if Grant and B Smith get injured. Based on the SBW precident it's OK. Then with the other 50k, bring back Cronk to replace Riley Jacks for the Grand Final. It's legal as long as Vlandys says it's OK. After all, its #forthegoodofthegame

Danish

Referee

Couldn’t they just sign cam on their second set of books for freee?

blue bags

First Grade
'It's fake, but he’s genuine': How SBW captured a billionaire's heart

Back in 2013, during Sonny Bill Williams' first stint at the club, the Sydney Roosters received a thank you note from a family of a sick child in Wollongong, praising the dual international for putting a smile on their kid's face following his visit.

The Roosters, trying to work out who sent the letter, knew nothing about it.

33c0725509c4fb628128b56ec472fa55bd30ee05

Sonny Bill Williams and Roosters boss Nick Politis reunite after the Wolfpack's loss to Warrington earlier this year.

"He got in his car and drove all the way to Wollongong on his own to visit the kid," Roosters supremo Nick Politis remembers.

"He didn’t tell anyone. He just did it because he wanted to help. When you hear that, how do you not love the guy? He wins you over. How many people do that? We didn’t even know he was in Wollongong. We found out after the event.

"Some stars do stuff like that every now and then, but they make sure it gets in the papers because they want to make out like their goody goodies.

"It’s fake, but he’s genuine. He genuinely wants to help people. For Sonny Bill, to drive all the way down to Wollongong to do that, to me it sums up the sort of guy he is. He’s just a genuine, humble person."
Why every entitled NRL player should aspire to be Sonny Bill Williams
"What I have been credited with at the Roosters is Nick, Robbo [coach Trent Robinson] and my fellow teammates being very nice," Williams says.
There are few players who have captured Politis' heart like Williams. Brad Fittler, Luke Ricketson, Cooper Cronk. They are the chairman's golden boys.

They are also some of the best to have ever donned the Roosters jersey.
"It's not that," Politis’ close friend and former Nine boss David Gyngell says.

"He doesn't love them because they’re the best players, mate. It’s because they work harder than the rest. Nick’s a winner and Nick loves winners, of course. But what he respects more is how hard they work to win."

Politis, one of the country's most successful businessmen, backs up Gyngell's views.

"That’s exactly right," Politis said. "Above all else. That’s what I believe in."

The plan to ignite the star's rugby league second coming in 2013 was hatched at a Circular Quay cafe the previous year when Gyngell, a former Roosters board member and Nine chief executive at the time, joined Politis, Williams and his agent Khoder Nasser for coffee.

"If it wasn't for Nick Politis there was no way he was coming back to league," Nasser said.

"It could have all been much different. I think he would have never have been back in rugby league. Sonny admired the level of integrity he stood for and the care and concern he showed for him for years after he left the Bulldogs. They're very comfortable in each other's company. There's a respect there that has evolved from the initial care he showed him.

1854ba78796ce09b1576842744d52b2215fb15ca

Top end of town: Roosters chairman Nick Politis and former Nine boss David Gyngell meet Sonny Bill Williams and manager Khoder Nasser to lure the star back to rugby league almost a decade ago.CREDIT:JAMES ALCOCK

"To the point where Sonny can be on holiday and Nick calls asking if he wants to have one more crack and Sonny feels obliged to come back. Others, like myself, are telling him you won't ever get the chance to have a European holiday like this again, but it shows you how much he respects Nick. Whenever you're around Nick, he's always the one who takes care of the bill. Let's just say Sonny enjoys beating him to the punch every now and then."

Williams, who has played for 13 different club and national teams throughout his 17-year professional career, has met a lot of passionate people along the way. Few compare to the Roosters' most devoted supporter.

"The first time I met Nick I found him to be very caring and concerned about my wellbeing," Williams told the Herald.

"He always said he wanted me back in rugby league. I guess I saw him as a chairman who cares about the wellbeing of his players, so I thought it would be good to play for a team like that. How many chairmans of rugby league teams go watch the team train?"

Like a proud father, given the 40-odd years that separates two of rugby league's most powerful and influential figures, Politis is chuffed when informed of Williams' appreciation.

f41b714bbb48a4f79caf8fa531c04c1b97b484e9

Sonny Bill Williams poses for a photo at the Sydney Cricket Ground before his first game back at the Roosters.
"I go to training anyway, even when Sonny's not there," a humbled Politis admits.

"I go once or twice a week. It's important for the guys to see the interest in them from the top, not just turn up for the hot dogs."

It's the same mentality, where no one is above anything or anyone else, which Williams exudes.

"The other day watching the news I noticed him walking at training next to young Sam Verrills," Politis said.

"He’s there talking to him and looking at him in the eyes. He probably didn’t know the kid before he arrived, but that’s the kind of guy he is. You get other guys who are superstars who don’t give some people the time of the day. Sonny isn’t one of those people."

"Winning the comp in 2013 was a great accomplishment. We came from towards the bottom of the ladder. We were not expected to win, especially with a first time coach in Robbo. To win was a very good feeling with a good bunch of blokes."

Such is Politis' protective nature, especially when it comes to Williams, a part of him hesitated at the idea of bringing Williams back in fear the ageing forward may have been past his use-by date.

But the 35-year-old holds no such fears.

"I cannot tarnish my legacy if it doesn’t go to plan," Williams said. "To me it’s all about getting out there and doing your best and you don’t quit because it is not going your way. I've had losses and wins on the sporting field, but what’s important is playing to my limit and God willing all goes well."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...ed-a-billionaire-s-heart-20200904-p55sfc.html

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That was a disgrace last night. A puke-inducing disgrace. I like SBW and he sure as shit didn't entice it, but the carry on with the amount of discussion of him, the constant camera time, the overshadowing of the game and J Moz's 300th, the constant narrative around a guy who played 13 minutes was just the most pathetic thing I've seen.

Then you open up NRL.com now and the main story is 'every touch from SBW's return' and 'Robinson likes what he saw in SBW's 13 minutes'.

Why don't they just go ahead and do the full click bait headline - YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT SBW LOOKS LIKE NOW

So lame.

Grapple

Bench
That was a disgrace last night. A puke-inducing disgrace. I like SBW and he sure as shit didn't entice it, but the carry on with the amount of discussion of him, the constant camera time, the overshadowing of the game and J Moz's 300th, the constant narrative around a guy who played 13 minutes was just the most pathetic thing I've seen.

Then you open up NRL.com now and the main story is 'every touch from SBW's return' and 'Robinson likes what he saw in SBW's 13 minutes'.

Why don't they just go ahead and do the full click bait headline - YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT SBW LOOKS LIKE NOW

So lame.

now nrl fans don't even need to watch the game, just whenever sbw touched the ball

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/05/every-touch-from-sbws-return-to-the-nrl/

Maroon4life

Juniors
After all the rooster fans circle jerk about this has been he delivers 13 minutes of 4 runs for 23m and a poor offload?