What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd18: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY thread (11/9/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was absolutely livid when we took the 2 - we had no ball, all game, and we finally get some ball, in their end of the field...and we go for 2?

The only way to even up possession was to take the 6, and either score a try, or force a repeat set.

Instead, we went for a stupid decision - and it seemed that Moses was pushing for the 2 quite vigorously.
Scoreboard pressure would have compounded Penrith's frustration, which was evident by that point. If we hadn't kept giving them opportunities we mightve gone into half time with a lead for their young blokes to stew on.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Scoreboard pressure would have compounded Penrith's frustration, which was evident by that point. If we hadn't kept giving them opportunities we mightve gone into half time with a lead for their young blokes to stew on.

Yeah, that's fair.

I certainly see the value in the 2.

But I felt then, as I do now, that we should have pushed for the try, or extra set; it would have been the only way to try and even up the possession, and get Penrith working harder on defence.

It turns out a howler of a missed knock on call meant we went into the break down 6-2, instead of up 2-nil.

blue bags

First Grade
Match Overview
Parramatta remain undefeated in 2020 after they laid on three successive tries in a matter of minutes to record a stunning come from behind win over the Panthers at Bankwest Stadium tonight.

With the Panthers leading 10-0 in the 64th minute, it was former Panther Waqa Blake who came back to haunt his former side, when he produced a devastating fend on opposite Stephen Crichton to score the Eels first try. Blake didn't stop there, stepping past Crichton minutes later and then finding his skipper Clint Gutherson who raced away to tie the game up late in the second half.

Parramatta then kicked clear when Eels half Mitch Moses kicked ahead with the Panthers on the backfoot. The kick produced a horror bounce for Panthers fullback Caleb Aekins and into the arms of Ryan Matterson who slid over to score and secure a superb win for Parramatta over their local rivals.

It was a disappointing loss for the Panthers who looked in control after the hour mark and then saw their 10-0 lead evaporate in a matter of minutes. The loss was further compounded by the loss of backrower Kurt Capewell who left the field in the first set of six with a suspected medial ligament injury.

With both sides looking to take the lead on the NRL ladder, the Battle of the West was a huge clash for both sides and as expected the game then turned into a see-sawing affair, with both number seven's in Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses launching some monstrous high kicks early which were keeping each sides respective back three on their toes.

After both sides were denied tries due to interference on defenders from attacking kicks, which saw both the Eels' Ryan Matterson and Panthers' Dean Whare denied early tries. It was the visitors who struck first, when newly re-signed Panther winger Brian To'o collected a wayward Caleb Aekins pass off his bootlaces to step past his opposite Maika Sivo and carry three more Eels defenders over the line to score the first try of the match. Cleary missed his first conversion of the year from out wide and Penrith led 4-0.

Off the back of a penalty against Moses for a high shot on Panthers' rookie Crichton, Penrith scored on the left-hand side after Jerome Luai and Cleary combined to allow the rookie centre to exact some revenge by putting his muscle-bound winger Josh Mansour over to score. Cleary converted to give his side a 10-0 lead at halftime.

The arm wrestle continued after the break, as the Eels did their best to power their way through the Panthers middle. A penalty from Panthers prop James Fisher-Harris then sparked the Eels, when the firebrand prop took Eels lock Nathan Brown off the ball when chasing a kick. Off the ensuing play former Panther Blake, managed to produce a huge fend on his opposite Crichton to open the scoring. This sparked two more Eels tries, with both Blake and Nathan Brown featuring with some decisive runs and from seemingly out of nowhere the Eels were in control.

The Eels had a chance to ice the game when Moses had a golden opportunity missing a late field goal to give his side the win, however Parramatta defended a late Panthers onslaught to secure their best start to a season since they last won the competition in 1986.

Next week the Eels have the ultimate challenge when they face the defending premiers, the Roosters at Bankwest Stadium next Saturday night in what will no doubt be the game of the round. Penrith also face a tough match up when they play the Melbourne Storm at Campbelltown Sports Ground next Friday night.

3. Waqa Blake
Grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck sparking his side with a try and then an assist for his skipper Gutherson to give his side the momentum to go on and win the game.

2. Nathan Brown
Worked his backside off all night and along with Blake sparked his side in attack with some direct running. Made a huge difference to the Eels tonight.

1. Isaah Yeo
Absolutely relentless in both attack and defence in the middle for the Panthers, Has proved a revelation for his side since switching to lock.

https://leagueunlimited.com/live-update/show/2384/17326

Kornstar

Coach
Thought the 6 again was officiated diabolically biased towards Penrith

Other than a couple of obvious indiscretions, we were no different to what Penrith were doing

Yet 8-3 to Penrith, and most , if not all theirs called after the 3rd tackle.

We had 3, im pretty sure two were on the first tackle, and the other on the 2nd - so hardly any advantage

I believe the referees look at the effort of the ball carrier, Panthers run with such enthusiasm and fight every step of the way where we kind go with the tackle and hope they get off us so we can get to our feet.

So while it frustrates the shit out of me that we don't get a restart when it is identical to the opposition, I get why. The only one that confuses me is Sivo cause he often puts up a fight in a tackle and they hardly give him a restart, where other teams get those restarts because of the same thing.

Ultimately we have a few areas where we just need to up our effort and one is coming out of our own end and the way in which we fight, support play and kick chase. Those 3 areas alone will put pressure on the opposition.......we are fit enough, so either the coaching staff don't see it as a problem OR the team just aren't responding due to laziness.

Noise

Coach
I believe the referees look at the effort of the ball carrier, Panthers run with such enthusiasm and fight every step of the way where we kind go with the tackle and hope they get off us so we can get to our feet.

So while it frustrates the shit out of me that we don't get a restart when it is identical to the opposition, I get why. The only one that confuses me is Sivo cause he often puts up a fight in a tackle and they hardly give him a restart, where other teams get those restarts because of the same thing.

Ultimately we have a few areas where we just need to up our effort and one is coming out of our own end and the way in which we fight, support play and kick chase. Those 3 areas alone will put pressure on the opposition.......we are fit enough, so either the coaching staff don't see it as a problem OR the team just aren't responding due to laziness.
I reckon the reason why Sivo doesn't get many is because he often gets dominated in the tackle. I think the refs interpret it that you have to win the ruck to earn a quick one. Sivo has been get smashed and losing the ruck lately.

Kornstar

Coach
I reckon the reason why Sivo doesn't get many is because he often gets dominated in the tackle. I think the refs interpret it that you have to win the ruck to earn a quick one. Sivo has been get smashed and losing the ruck lately.

I agree with you however it just means it is pre determined right? Cause I have seen a few the last few games (even the abysmal Souths game) where he won a rare battle and was flailing around (like other teams who seem to get the restart do) and nothing, even though they are holding on unnecessarily.

I don't want to make this all about Parra either because you see it every weekend where you are puzzled why one tackle is rewarded (generally to a better team) and the opposite for the lower ranked teams.

Is it the biggest issue in the world? Not really, just more annoying as a viewer.

golfer

Juniors
I agree with you however it just means it is pre determined right? Cause I have seen a few the last few games (even the abysmal Souths game) where he won a rare battle and was flailing around (like other teams who seem to get the restart do) and nothing, even though they are holding on unnecessarily.

I don't want to make this all about Parra either because you see it every weekend where you are puzzled why one tackle is rewarded (generally to a better team) and the opposite for the lower ranked teams.

Is it the biggest issue in the world? Not really, just more annoying as a viewer.
The 6 again restarts are a mystery. I see identical situations where a team will get a restart for one but not the other. You then see a restart given for something that is nothing, it is very confusing.

lingard

Coach
I do not think we are done. So we can't score tries easily. Aslong as we can get down the other end we have aeiral threats. Why it's time to bring Taka in for Sivo. You then have Taka,Blake,Fergo as aerial threats.
Whenever we are 15meters out we just put up a bomb and load that side with these guys..... If we scored 2 tries this way and another a conventional way then it maybe enough to win.
W.Smith on bench also will add so much spark. 20mins from him and Mahoney at end of game running dual threats from dummy half.

Ideally we can rest Jnr,Lane and RCG. Then come finals they play big minutes with Niakuore off bench also getting decent minutes. I wouldn't give to many to KE or Kafusi.

That sounds like the Parra sides of 1976/77.

lingard

Coach
I believe it's good enough in the sense that it can sneak into the top four (which it probably will) and then is a non-trivial chance of winning three successive finals matches. But I don't think we should be favorites or even close to it. Better tactics would require smarter/more experienced playmakers, and we don't have them. This is the team we have. IMO they're playing as well (as a team) as they can. Some individuals are noticeably worse than last year. Is that the coach's fault? The answer is we don't know. They might be injured, they might be distracted by off field issues. The coach has no control over either of these. And replacing an out of form player with a less talented/experienced option is just shuffling deck chairs. Might as well leave the more talented/experienced player in the team and avoid making things worser.

OR: better tactics could involve making better use of the playmakers we already have.

lingard

Coach
Good teams wouldn't put themselves in this position to start with. It's one thing to defend courageously, it's another to be able to counter-attack effectively.

Our scrambling defence was very commendable - but it was made necessary a lot of the time by ineptitude in our front-line defensive structure. If we didn't scramble so well, we would have been flogged. Waqa Blake was out of position so many times it was just unbelievable. The reality is that our defence was not good at all; just our scrambling - which is no way to enter a finals series.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Another annoyance is that there's rarely a 6 again called in the 2nd half of matches.

hindy111

Post Whore

The issue is half the time they could call a 6 again on every tackle just about.
Some should be penalties and not 6 agains.

Status
Not open for further replies.