What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Dragons drama as Tristan Sailor looks for exit

Old Timer

Coach
And none of them are in FG and 3 of them might not be at the club next year.
Truly amazing that we can lose so many young players without actually really finding out if they 'had what it takes or if in fact they didn't" all on the basis of what Mc Fookknuckle thought, yet those that he did think "had it" offered SFA ias it turned out anyway.

So in the end if the prospects go elsewhere and rip it up good luck to them and meanwhile we can buy a few more commodes to put in the locker rooms for most of those that he kept faith in.

mickeylane

Bench
Same here ! Mine extends to that they want the extra time to get their new 2021 coach appointment put to bed !
I think your right but I'm pretty certain they're looking for a fulltime coach to step in straight away and no interim coach as it would be the same shit different day... I think they will try and land Fitzgibbon on a come now and take over and you won't be judged on this year's debacle and if that fails I think Griffith or Shane Wane are real options for the board...

Bench
If Saab and Sailor want out then let them go, they know they won’t get a run in first grade now, at this stage McIdiot is solely responsible for our younger players wanting out.
I always thought Sailor would move north, that’s where his dad hails from and there is a Bronco connection and thats were he will end up.

slippery5

Juniors
What you are saying is true but I think Sailor was always going to go at the end of this year once he completed his uni degree at Wollongong. Probably always was going to head North. What I am disappointed about is his attempt to leave immediately when the club is at its lowest. Mind you it’s a good move from his manager because the Broncos are desperate and they may be prepared to pay overs for a young player seen by some Brisbane fans as coming ‘home’. But it cannot be denied that our gutless Board’s move with Mary has probably made it impossible to keep Sailor.
Well maybe if there was a CC comp & he was able to play his way into a team, he would stay, but there isn't, so why not leave now if he can.

slippery5

Juniors
Truly amazing that we can lose so many young players without actually really finding out if they 'had what it takes or if in fact they didn't" all on the basis of what Mc Fookknuckle thought, yet those that he did think "had it" offered SFA ias it turned out anyway.

So in the end if the prospects go elsewhere and rip it up good luck to them and meanwhile we can buy a few more commodes to put in the locker rooms for most of those that he kept faith in.
Garrick, Herbert, Timm to mention a few.....

boardlumps62

Juniors

While we endure this shit and lose our juniors remember once we get rid of all the dickheads we can rebuild. This will be fun we can then be like Manly and Chooks buy us some juniors. But we need either Bennett or Gould or someone extremely smart to over look the process.

getsmarty

Immortal

Garrick has what it takes...coach didn't rate him....pretty much says it all.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Can we start to think like ..... who was trying to create a pure arian race.
I'm not thinking white dark or coffee coloured just thinking tall and athletic can run fast, tackle, jump high and can pass both sides weighs in at 100kg plus clock under 10 seconds for 100 metre dash. He will be our fullback or wingers and centres.
Tristan Sailor is only 1.7m is well built not 100kg but is fast and elusive he will be my 6 or 7. In addition he is no fool educated so could be a future captain.

blue bags

First Grade
So a swap with Darius returning, Uncle Wayne must be in the frame again.
CC
bunnies.jpg

blue bags

First Grade
Probably Blue Bags as I got them mixed up. Really by 31 July 2020 we may not be able to field a full squad if McDud is still at the helm of the titanic.
It would be less painful for the fans if the Dragons forfeited the season.
yes forfeit the rest of season, loan all players out to the other NRL teams, players get a new experience for next year ;)

getsmarty

Immortal
St. George Illawarra Dragons prodigy Tristan Sailor told to look elsewhere for 2021

Ed Chisholm
1 hour ago

Exciting young utility back Tristan Sailor has been informed by the Dragons he'll be surplus to requirements under new coach Anthony Griffin in 2021.

The electric 21-year-old, who has proven handy at fullback and five-eight was reportedly pushing for a release under Paul McGregor after growing frustrated with his lack of playing opportunities, which the club denied earlier this year.

Sailor has been reduced to three appearances this season from the interchange bench, after making his debut last year in round 23, despite the loud calls from a strong faction of the Red V faithful for him to replace under-performing five-eighth Corey Norman throughout the year.

A two-time Queensland under-20's representative, Sailor is one of five Dragons players still un-signed for next season.

And in a move that will undoubtedly unsettle a number of Dragons fans, Channel Nine's Danny Weidler reports the club told Sailor on Wednesday he wouldn't be offered a new contract beyond this year.

"Tristan Sailor told officially today he is not part of the Dragons plans for next year. He will be an excellent pick up for another club. Excellent young bloke," Weidler tweeted.

Sailor becomes the first player to be made a casualty of new coach Griffin's overhaul, after the incoming boss also informed assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and James Shepard they wouldn't be part of his staff in 2021.

St. George Illawarra are intent on strengthening their roster after another disappointing campaign, with the club reportedly in advance talks with Broncos and Maroons middle forward Joe Ofahengaue.

Despite the Dragons' denial, Sailor reportedly pushed for a mid-season exit in the pursuit of more game time, which came as fellow prodigy Jason Saab also requested a release.

It was revealed later by his father and retired NRL great Wendell Sailor that the Tigers were on the verge of securing the young gun on a loan deal.

The move fell apart at the 11th hour however, with the Tigers signing winger Asu Kepaoa from the Roosters as part of their roster re-arrangements to accommodate Sonny Bill-Williams.

Capable at both five-eighth and fullback, opportunities have been sparce with Norman and Matt Dufty in the side, while Sailor has also seemingly fallen behind fellow young guns Jayden Sullivan and Cody Ramsey in the pecking order.

It was widely reported earlier in the year the Dragons were looking to offload Norman at season's end, which could've opened the door for Sailor, however those talks have gradually subsided.

Having worked with him at the Broncos, Griffin has been vocal in his support of Norman and Ben Hunt and outlined his mission to reinvigorate their partnership in the halves next year.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...r-told-to-look-elsewhere-for-2021/ar-BB19m3Dw

mightydragon

Juniors

Add Young and Flanagan to that list. They have had 6 weeks to give the young blokes a decent run without McGregor so they are as much to blame as he is. 6 wins all year is laughable and it sits squarely on all of their heads. Flanagan was in charge of defence but have you seen a Dragons team defend worse than this year? I'm happy that the club has gone away from the McGregor era. Just need Milward to be pushed now.

Young Kepoa is showing a lot of promise.

Tristan has that conundrum where it’s difficult to prove he can become a full fledged nrl player without more game time and he can’t get a game because people think he’s not ready.

Then his best option seems to be a chance with a weaker roster.

But there’s some merit in the view that the sgi “ best roster” has been very ordinary especially in those positions Tristan could have applied himself to.

Hook is under a lot of pressure for a quick turn about in outcomes. So he’s looking for experience and the top youngsters. He just may not have the space to develop Tristan properly.

I hope Sailor can find a club with the time for him. We’ve already written off next year as serious contenders, but expectations will be a lot higher for 2022 when we can shop until we drop.

He’s a good young kid and under the right care could make an impact. I’d be fine if we reached out to him in a couple of years.

He’s been unlucky to some extent. The kid must think that the day the dogs have some interest in him, bloody Munster wants to move to Bankstown to spend time with his third cousin at a discount.

Probably right here and now, in my f**ked understanding of the game, Munster in the goat of this mutant era.

Last edited: