What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Dragons drama as Tristan Sailor looks for exit

Yeah he’s a smart bloke and not the stereotype meathead footy player that is for sure. He’s arty, loves books and seems pretty balanced. While I think he could still make a great 5/8 it isn’t the end of the world and as you say it’s a great career he’s looking to get into.

Yeah there’s a surprising number of geeks in the game and thick heads like Mary who somehow make it in the business world.

When I think about it, there is a strain of good intellect running through sgi in the playing group.

You’d probably prefer they were a bit thicker and winning mo

Yeah he’s a smart bloke and not the stereotype meathead footy player that is for sure. He’s arty, loves books and seems pretty balanced. While I think he could still make a great 5/8 it isn’t the end of the world and as you say it’s a great career he’s looking to get into.

It’s that old saying that top flight rugby league has to choose you, it’s not really something you can do ...just because you want to.

You have to be tough, healthy, game smart, strong, have stamina, be good socially and have enormous reserves of will-power and drive and many other attributes. Especially the horrific pre-seasons.

Long term players like Chris Lawrence and Gal, both mentioned the gruelling pre season as a deterrence to going around again.

And for some players, there’s a bit of luck being noticed in the first place.

Our players are elite and even if they can’t string a proper sentence together, or failed yr 9 maths, that doesn’t reflect poorly on them as players or people. That’s just life!

I listened to Darius last night in his goodbye press conference and I had some time for him. I wasn’t in tears, but he spoke well and he said many things that made sense. Good luck to Darius.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It’s that old saying that top flight rugby league has to choose you, it’s not really something you can do ...just because you want to.

You have to be tough, healthy, game smart, strong, have stamina, be good socially and have enormous reserves of will-power and drive and many other attributes. Especially the horrific pre-seasons.

Long term players like Chris Lawrence and Gal, both mentioned the gruelling pre season as a deterrence to going around again.

Our players are elite and even if they can’t string a proper sentence together, or failed yr 9 maths, that doesn’t reflect poorly on them as players or people. That’s just life!

I listened to Darius last night in his goodbye press conference and I had some time for him. I wasn’t in tears, but he spoke well and he said many things that made sense. Good luck to Darius.
Yeah he obviously still retains some class from his stint in the red v.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’m pretty sure some of the First XV at school smashed me in the exams (not being satisfied with just smashing me in games or in the playground).
Yeah the world is like that, I had a mate that was a hit with the girls, dux of the school and is now an engineer at the ANU, I played hooker he was 5/8 and fly half in rugby plus the captain. I thought at least I could smash him in a fight. Then realised he was a black belt in karate..and a good bloke to boot. There was literally nothing I was better at than this mofo. But his success doesn’t have any adverse effect on my life or happiness I soon realised.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
If Sailor goes and Norman stays, to me that's the final confirmation that this club is deliberately being torn down from within from a mix of in-compotence and skull-dugury.

Don't think I could support another team, might just follow individual players from now on. I don't mind a period of loosing if it means planned long term change. Buying a team will never do that so even if we sign a big name or two I wont be holding my breath that things will get better. In fact if Corey Norman plays this week I will probably not watch, Tristan Sailor should start at 6, bringing good local juniors and topping up week spots from name players is what makes the dragons great, seems that got flipped on its head and Mary is not the only one to blame for that.

Also, just copying what everyone else does will never make you the best team, it will at best allow you to be competitive some of the time with most teams. I hope Griffin has a plan and balls of steal. It should be built around local juniors and the likes of T Sims and the one guy who with the right supporting cast (on and off field) who can bring us a title, Ben Hunt. Don't care about perceived minuses, in 2018 when we had a good pack, even with all those injuries, only a failure for K Mann to tip the ball on to a wide open Jai Field stopped us from a preliminary final at least. He is down on confidence and only 3 rounds prior to finals it was only Jai Field taking control that saved us but when the finals came up, Hunt stepped up big time. So the secret is man management, however Norman is past his best time to go

Mjab

Juniors

Darius was a great player
CCM winner for us 2010
We would not have won that year without him

had a sad childhood and battled his mental demons but came thru it and should be incredibly proud of himself

I hope he has a great future still ahead of him

also pretty clear Sailor inst going to QLD then
A sydney club or academic life for him

dragon thomo

Juniors
I dont know all the fuss abour Sailor. He may have talent and could go on to become a very good player, but we have better prospects coming through. The Norman situation is a difficult one as if no other club is willing to take him.
I believe Grithen is sheding players to sign some forwards. He is big on defence and Sailor is not strong in that apartment

possm

Coach
If Sailor goes and Norman stays, to me that's the final confirmation that this club is deliberately being torn down from within from a mix of in-compotence and skull-dugury.

Don't think I could support another team, might just follow individual players from now on. I don't mind a period of loosing if it means planned long term change. Buying a team will never do that so even if we sign a big name or two I wont be holding my breath that things will get better. In fact if Corey Norman plays this week I will probably not watch, Tristan Sailor should start at 6, bringing good local juniors and topping up week spots from name players is what makes the dragons great, seems that got flipped on its head and Mary is not the only one to blame for that.

Also, just copying what everyone else does will never make you the best team, it will at best allow you to be competitive some of the time with most teams. I hope Griffin has a plan and balls of steal. It should be built around local juniors and the likes of T Sims and the one guy who with the right supporting cast (on and off field) who can bring us a title, Ben Hunt. Don't care about perceived minuses, in 2018 when we had a good pack, even with all those injuries, only a failure for K Mann to tip the ball on to a wide open Jai Field stopped us from a preliminary final at least. He is down on confidence and only 3 rounds prior to finals it was only Jai Field taking control that saved us but when the finals came up, Hunt stepped up big time. So the secret is man management, however Norman is past his best time to go
Sailors contract is up this season and Normans is up next season. So unless we can unload Norman, we are stuck with him for one season more. Griffin will simply pick him on form and on effort. I'd be happy if we can arrange a swap between Norman and Maloney for next season.

Gareth67

First Grade
Actually I am surprised that Wendell thinks that way . I honestly thought that he would had suggested to his young bloke that the pastures would be much greener elsewhere - anywhere but at the Dragons .

With all the turmoil the Joint Venture has gone through in the last 7 years and the absolute fact that the previous coach simply did not wish to blood the Dragon youth , that alone would be enough to look elsewhere - more so to a club that had an astute coach .

Last edited:

Latest posts