What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Viewing may be up . But I think Advertisers were the big worry here. Most of the tv stations were barely hanging on.What would be the point in sending them broke? And if we did who would pay the NRL/
AFL hundreds of millions each year?
It would be short-sighted for the NRL to take more from the broadcasters than they can afford to give just so they can match AwFuL in a silly dick measuring contest. That's like a farmer draining water from a dam at twice the rate it can refill itself just because he wants a bumper crop every season to send some other farmer broke. He will make a bucket load in the short-term, but will eventually be up shit creek without a paddle and the one going broke when there's no water to irrigate his crops.

Anyone remember the "Monday Night Wrestling War" from the 90s?

Eric Bischoff used Ted Turner's money to lure WWF wrestlers over to WCW so that WWF fans would watch WCW Nitro instead of WWF Raw. Bischoff told his wrestlers he wanted to put WWF out of business. It worked for a couple of years, but eventually WCW's ratings nose-dived and Ted Turner lost control of TNT when AOL/Time Warner merged. WCW was losing hundreds of millions in 2000 because they had well over 100 wrestlers on their payroll, just to prevent them from wrestling for Vince McMahon's WWF. They were on inflated contracts, too. Ex-WWF guys like Hogan, Hall and Nash were getting millions per year and given all the cosy roles while loyal WCW guys were paid less and never given a chance, so they signed with WWF. The WCW product sucked and the new owners of TNT didn't like wrestling, especially now that it was no longer the most watched program on their network and was costing them a fortune. They sold it to Vince for a pittance in April 2001.

I see similarities between WCW's reckless spending on talent to hurt their main competitor, with the AFL's expansion in Queensland and NSW. Folau and Hunt were an expensive mess that caused more harm than good for AwFuL. Instead of convincing Polynesians to play fumbleball, it proved the grass is greener playing RL. It also pissed off a lot of Queenslanders and New South Welshmen.

Ch7 is not in good health and its fumbleball loving owner won't be around forever. It's very likely an American company will replace Stokes as the owner at some stage. They're not going to have any love for fumbleball. Murdoch is a dinosaur and his empire is crumbling. When he goes the massive cheques for AwFuL will dry up. Just like WCW when Ted Turner was ousted from power within his own network by AOL/Time Warner.

It's alright to fund extravagant projects that bring small returns when times are good, as they were for WCW between 1996 and 1998, but when a few lean seasons set in it can backfire spectacularly.

NRL would be wise to learn from WCW's and AwFuL's mistakes.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if Kayo are only able to stream five games a round from 2023, with the other three on 9Now/Stan. If all 8 are on Kayo then the value for 9Now diminishes significantly.
You are right in so much if Kayo has exclusory all 8 games games including what Nine show in conjunction with Foxtel. So what the NRL done was cut out Telstra which then allows Nine to have all eight games if they pay the right price. It's childish to think like (Perth red) that the NRL gave the exclusive games online to only Foxtel. It's well within the NRL's power to sub/license or grant Nine (Old Telstra online ) games, which they could show on Nine Now or Stan. Foxtel would like Nine to put their games on Stan, for financial reasons. Perth red say this is not possible but with Telstra not in the deal Nine can have all games online with 3/4 games on TV.

You are right in so much if Kayo has exclusory all 8 games games including what Nine show in conjunction with Foxtel. So what the NRL done was cut out Telstra which then allows Nine to have all eight games if they pay the right price. It's childish to think like (Perth red) that the NRL gave the exclusive games online to only Foxtel. It's well within the NRL's power to sub/license or grant Nine (Old Telstra online ) games, which they could show on Nine Now or Stan. Foxtel would like Nine to put their games on Stan, for financial reasons. Perth red say this is not possible but with Telstra not in the deal Nine can have all games online with 3/4 games on TV.
If Foxtel have to bid for the steaming rights just to show them on Kayo then PVL outsmarted them. Foxtel will be keeping an eye on many people watch RL on Kayo over the next 3 years to determine how much they need to spend just to screen RL on Kayo, or more importantly, which non-RL services they will have to cut to afford it.

colly

Juniors
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nrl-telstra-live-pass-streaming-rights-nine-foxtel
In black and white, Nine can (OTT) stream on either Nine now OR Stan when the price is right! ie $170-to $200 million p/a which would equal a billion dollars over five years.

The Foxtel extension allows subscription service Kayo to stream all eight matches for the remainder of the 2020 season. Should Nine also agree to an extension until 2027, all games will be available through its television channel and the 9Now over-the-top (OTT) streaming app.

Telstra customers can currently access games for free through the NRL app and Telstra Live Pass, but the league hopes that removing Telstra’s capacity to stream games will add value to future FTA broadcast deals.

colly

Juniors
NRL blocks Telstra streams from 2023
League seeks to mark up OTT rights value ahead of new Nine negotiations.

• Posted: June 3 2020
  • By: Ed Dixon
NRLStormRaiders_630_354_80_s_c1.jpg

Getty Images

Telstra has confirmed that Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) will prevent the telecommunications firm from streaming games from 2023, with organisers instead attempting to strike a five-year broadcast extension with the Nine Network.

The decision comes days after the NRL agreed a broadcast extension with Foxtel, for which Telstra owns 35 per cent, through to 2027. The deal stipulates that Foxtel is prohibited from selling on the digital rights for the new cycle, having previously been entitled to as part of a five-year, AUD$100 million (US$69 million) agreement.

“We are ... disappointed to learn the NRL, through their agreement with Foxtel, has decided not to make those digital rights on mobile available beyond 2022,” a Telstra spokesperson told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“We have not been a party to those discussions and will obviously need to engage with the NRL to understand what the implications are for our partnership in the long term.”

Though the decision will surely irk Telstra, the NRL’s title sponsor, the league’s rationale is reportedly that protecting its streaming rights will mark up its value ahead of fresh negotiations with Nine, which could reportedly take place as early as next month.

Foxtel and Nine only recently agreed a new domestic broadcast rights deal with the NRL reportedly worth as much as AUD$2 billion (US$1.38 billion), although other outlets have estimated it closer to AUD$1 billion (US$690 million). The deals will see pay-TV network Foxtel continue to air NRL matches until the end of the 2027 season, while Nine has committed to free-to-air (FTA) coverage until the end of the current rights cycle in 2022.

The Foxtel extension allows subscription service Kayo to stream all eight matches for the remainder of the 2020 season. Should Nine also agree to an extension until 2027, all games will be available through its television channel and the 9Now over-the-top (OTT) streaming app.

Telstra customers can currently access games for free through the NRL app and Telstra Live Pass, but the league hopes that removing Telstra’s capacity to stream games will add value to future FTA broadcast deals.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Nine has been frustrated with the NRL in recent weeks due to its belief Telstra should be forced to charge an additional fee as stipulated. Currently, the league is not requiring Telstra to charge its customers for access as part of its current deal.

Telstra initially secured the digital rights in 2015 as part of the deal signed by the NRL with Foxtel and Nine. The telecommunications provider is also in broadcast discussions with the Australian Football League (AFL), though has thus far declined to comment on the future of AFL content on Telstra Live Pass past 2022.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Olds news. If we get all games streamed by FTA I'll be staggered. It would kill KAYO.
If Vlandys manages to sell same streaming rights to two rival pay for view streaming companies then I will doth my cap to him.

Olds news. If we get all games streamed by FTA I'll be staggered. It would kill KAYO.
If Vlandys manages to sell same streaming rights to two rival pay for view streaming companies then I will doth my cap to him.
Bullshit you will
Your hate for anything PVL does ...says..or even how he dresses is well known on here .
You won't be able to help yourself .
You'll find something to bitch & be negative about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bullshit you will
Your hate for anything PVL does ...says..or even how he dresses is well known on here .
You won't be able to help yourself .
You'll find something to bitch & be negative about.

Nope, if Vlandys sells the rights to stream all 8 games to two different pay streaming services (or to FTA AND KAYO) then I will take most of it back, presuming the $ figure matches expectations. (His stupidity around pssing off some states just to score meaningless NSW points deserves the contempt it receives from me.)

Nope, if Vlandys sells the rights to stream all 8 games to two different pay streaming services (or to FTA AND KAYO) then I will take most of it back, presuming the $ figure matches expectations. (His stupidity around pssing off some states just to score meaningless NSW points deserves the contempt it receives from me.)
How is what he said about non-RL states any different to what you say about NSW and QLD?

tri_colours

Juniors

I don't think he was trying piss off any one, merely pointing out facts . The East Coast is of far more importance than the West Coast!

Perth Red

Post Whore
What!! Don't they know of all the uncertainty that is ahead or do they know the value of their game to the broadcasters..

They've done what we should have done.

their new 5 year fta deal ended up very little reduction, $146mill compared to $150mill originally. I wonder what our three year renegotiate with nine is and what the 7 year deal with fox is? Hopefully no more than the 2.5% reduction they achieved!

taipan

Referee
What!! Don't they know of all the uncertainty that is ahead or do they know the value of their game to the broadcasters..

They've done what we should have done.

So the AFL are certain of the financial position of Fox in this country ,a few years down the line so they hold off a deal?
Apparently ignoring the fact Pay for view is losing money and has had money tipped in by Rupert & Co.

Ch9 are unsure ,the Govts and businesses seem to know the next few years are going to be tough, with mounting debt and continuing high unemployment.
The AFL and the NRL have each negotiated deals with different mediums, ensuring at least monetary certainty in part.

Latest posts