What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
A Seven contra 60m or 10 p/a over six years and Foxtel must have been 140m ( 23.3 m p/a ) non cash contra to get to the 200m contra amount proved to be the case before.

Total AFL contra was 16 million in each of 2018 and 2019. Its written in their annual report (pg 166).
Total NRL contra was 24.450 million in 2019. (NRL 2019 Annual Report pg 138)
What percentage is contra, because that figure will be loaded with it

For the AFL Broadcasting & AFL Media including contra delivered 413m in 2019 (contra was 3.8%)
For the NRL Broadcasting & Digital Revenue including contra delivered 373m in 2019 (contra was 6.5%)

colly

Juniors
Total AFL contra was 16 million in each of 2018 and 2019. Its written in their annual report (pg 166).
Total NRL contra was 24.450 million in 2019. (NRL 2019 Annual Report pg 138)

For the AFL Broadcasting & AFL Media including contra delivered 413m in 2019 (contra was 3.8%)
For the NRL Broadcasting & Digital Revenue including contra delivered 373m in 2019 (contra was 6.5%)
I looked up page 166 and it mentions adverting contra, however when the deal was made a quote from AFL CEO was that 200 million was included in the 2.5B SIX year deal.

News
Fox Sports and Seven tie up AFL rights in $2.5bn deal with Telstra retaining digital rights
August 18, 2015 5:48
by Alex Hayes

AFL.png
News Corp owned Fox Sports and Seven Network have tied up the rights for the AFL for six years for a record breaking $2.508bn, double the previous amount.

The agreement takes them from 2017 to the end of 2022 with Telstra to remain as the digital rights holders for the sport which is seen as crucial for networks to dominate in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

It follows the NRL tying up a five-year $950m deal with the Nine Network last week. There is “around $200m of contra” included in the deal according to AFL CEO Gill McLachlan, who said “the AFL’s challenge is to stay Australia’s game”.

The rights should also see matches made available on Telstra’s new streaming service Telstra TV from 2018.
https://mumbrella.com.au/foxtel-and-seven-telstra-tie-up-afl-rights-in-2-5bn-deal-313048
Revenue from operating activities
Broadcasting and AFL media 397,439 391,504 Why the difference 8 million between years. Maybe some non adversting contra in their
Commercial operations 290,338 279,375
Football operations 17,337 18,708
Game development 38,367 38,327
Other revenue 34,458 34,682
Contra advertising revenue 16,000 16,000
793,939 778,596

Perth Red

Post Whore
As i said you have no idea on the AL TV deals. Your own source 'ausleisure' says the current deal 2017-2022 was for 840 million cash ( 60m contra ) over SIX years which works out as 140 million P/a cash.
(840m / divided by 6 years )
So you should say they got a 6 million dollar yearly increase (in thier current contract) from Channel Seven. Yeah sure. Seven goes into meeting wanting to decrease the 2017-2022 contract due to worldwide Corona Virus and negotiate a increase on THEIR CURRENT CONTRACT. Ha Ha. No such thing happened. .

The $146mill a year includes contra. How much we dont know. A lot of the savings for Seven and Nine are in reduced production spending.
The fact is the AFL has a 5 year deal of $146mill inc contra for FTA compared to the $150mill inc contra annual deal they had pre covid.
Unless of course the CEO has gone on public record with a lie but that is highly unlikely!

As wookie has shown all tv deals have contra as part of them, some more than others.

The $146mill a year includes contra. How much we dont know. A lot of the savings for Seven and Nine are in reduced production spending.
The fact is the AFL has a 5 year deal of $146mill inc contra for FTA compared to the $150mill inc contra annual deal they had pre covid.
Unless of course the CEO has gone on public record with a lie but that is highly unlikely!

As wookie has shown all tv deals have contra as part of them, some more than others.
Of course you'd believe anything the afl boss says .
You worship at the abortionball alter .
The afl have a long long history of lying on & off record ..
But you don't see that.All you see is
BAD PVL
BAD PVL
BAD PVL .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course you'd believe anything the afl boss says .
You worship at the abortionball alter .
The afl have a long long history of lying on & off record ..
But you don't see that.All you see is
BAD PVL
BAD PVL
BAD PVL .

oh Phil has gone all tin foil hat lol. Yeh of course a ceo of a major sport is going to come out and lie about a tv deal, not like the tv partner may have something to say about it :)

oh Phil has gone all tin foil hat lol. Yeh of course a ceo of a major sport is going to come out and lie about a tv deal, not like the tv partner may have something to say about it :)
Lied about no 1 in Qld
Lied about 30k registered fumble players in NZ .
Afl house which he is now boss but was Second in charge lied to a senate committee about player numbers in WS.
Lied about player numbers at birchgrove .
Want me to go on .
Lol your love for anything AFl is on show again

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lied about no 1 in Qld
Lied about 30k registered fumble players in NZ .
Afl house which he is now boss but was Second in charge lied to a senate committee about player numbers in WS.
Lied about player numbers at birchgrove .
Want me to go on .
Lol your love for anything AFl is on show again

So let me get this right, you genuinely believe the recently publicly announced $146mill a year ch7 deal is a lie? Seriously? :)

Fumbleball combines the amount of kids involved in Auskick and school clinics with actual registered players, then compares it to the amount of registered RL players to claim they're number 1 in Queensland.

When you trawl through QRL and QAFL's annual reports to compare registered players for both games, there are three times as many people playing in organised RL competitions. It doesn't stop the media and AwFuL from pretending they've got more players.

Oh Dear.
I highlighted where they've been caught out lying .
How surprising that the resident AFl lover ignores that.

I don't believe anyfigures .any numbers that are released by the afl due to theresson above . .
They lie ...lie some more then keep lying.
They are never pulled up or questioned about it by a very compliant media.
So why should I believe anything they say.

colly

Juniors
So let me get this right, you genuinely believe the recently publicly announced $146mill a year ch7 deal is a lie? Seriously? :)

Yes it is a lie. Seven were only paying (average) 140 million per year in the old contract which was widely reported for over 4 years since it was signed. So it's your position that the deal 2017- 2022 in regards to seven was NOT reported correctly at 900 million overall made up with 840 cash and 60 conta over six years.
Lets talk cash only. So it works out seven pays 140 million per year.. 140 * 6 years = 840 m Cash Contract .
So where it's widely reported that broadcaster renegotiated the current contract with a know savings over 70m cash / or 23.3m per year over the three years left. ie 2020,-21-2022 would mean Seven pays 117 m per year until the end of the contract. These figures are from numerous sources.

"Under the terms of the revised contract, the company is anticipating a saving of approximately $84 million, which is largely driven by reductions to media rights and production savings."

https://themarketherald.com.au/seven-west-media-asxswm-signs-revised-contract-with-afl-2020-06-12/

Just another story backing the Seven reduced the remaining three years of the contract by 84 Cash/rights by 70/ production 14 ( or reported elsewhere 87m overall 70 cash, 17 production HOWEVER if want to fantasist that this reduction didn't happen then thats tells me more about you that you state a falsehood with regards to reported facts. Sure Gillion ( the sniveler) was weak and put out a meaningless figure which you ready excepted However to Market, ASX he Legally reported these savings.

I just found the legal notification from Seven/AFL notice to market. So Seven has reduced the amount by 87m , ( cash 70-- production/and contra by 17m
Revised Contract and Extension with the AFL - ASX
www.asx.com.au › asxpdf › 20200611 › pdf

PDF
Jun 11, 2020 — Seven West Media (ASX: SWM) has today announced a revised contract with ... SWM expects to derive $87m in net benefits over the existing ... media rights reduction, production savings and other benefits. ... The 2020 AFL season will recommence tonight, Thursday, June 11, when ... For personal use only.

Now Mr Red show me how you get your figures

Last edited:
Yes it is a lie. Seven were only paying (average) 140 million per year in the old contract which was widely reported for over 4 years since it was signed. So it's your position that the deal 2017- 2022 in regards to seven was NOT reported correctly at 900 million overall made up with 840 cash and 60 conta over six years.
Lets talk cash only. So it works out seven pays 140 million per year.. 140 * 6 years = 840 m Cash Contract .
So where it's widely reported that broadcaster renegotiated the current contract with a know savings over 70m cash / or 23.3m per year over the three years left. ie 2020,-21-2022 would mean Seven pays 117 m per year until the end of the contract. These figures are from numerous sources.

"Under the terms of the revised contract, the company is anticipating a saving of approximately $84 million, which is largely driven by reductions to media rights and production savings."

https://themarketherald.com.au/seven-west-media-asxswm-signs-revised-contract-with-afl-2020-06-12/

Just another story backing the Seven reduced the remaining three years of the contract by 84 Cash/rights by 70/ production 14 ( or reported elsewhere 87m overall 70 cash, 17 production HOWEVER if want to fantasist that this reduction didn't happen then thats tells me more about you that you state a falsehood with regards to reported facts. Sure Gillion ( the sniveler) was weak and put out a meaningless figure which you ready excepted However to Market, ASX he Legally reported these savings.

I just found the legal notification from Seven/AFL notice to market. So Seven has reduced the amount by 87m , ( cash 70-- production/and contra by 17m

PDF
Jun 11, 2020 — Seven West Media (ASX: SWM) has today announced a revised contract with ... SWM expects to derive $87m in net benefits over the existing ... media rights reduction, production savings and other benefits. ... The 2020 AFL season will recommence tonight, Thursday, June 11, when ... For personal use only.

Good job exposing Perth Red's lies. He is clearly biased and has an agenda. All of his rants about PVL and RL are based around him wanting an NRL team in Perth, no matter what it costs and regardless of whether it's good for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh Dear.
I highlighted where they've been caught out lying .
How surprising that the resident AFl lover ignores that.

I don't believe anyfigures .any numbers that are released by the afl due to theresson above . .
They lie ...lie some more then keep lying.
They are never pulled up or questioned about it by a very compliant media.
So why should I believe anything they say.

bless

Perth Red

Post Whore

PDF

sigh, it’s been shown they were paying $150mill inc contra. In previous deal. It was widely reported as such and clearly was. They are now paying $146mill inc contra. according to the afl ceo. All we don’t know is how much of the $146mill is contra. WooKie has shown you how much the contra was for previous deal.

ive added links previously to the media announcements that specify amounts for both deals. Look no skin off my nose if you don’t want to believe the media releases. End of day things for both codes will be much clearer when we see the annual reports in feb/mar next year. Vlandys refuses to divulge what he has signed up nrl to so we wont know what we look like for some time yet.

colly

Juniors
sigh, it’s been shown they were paying $150mill inc contra. In previous deal. It was widely reported as such and clearly was. They are now paying $146mill inc contra. according to the afl ceo. All we don’t know is how much of the $146mill is contra. WooKie has shown you how much the contra was for previous deal.

ive added links previously to the media announcements that specify amounts for both deals. Look no skin off my nose if you don’t want to believe the media releases. End of day things for both codes will be much clearer when we see the annual reports in feb/mar next year. Vlandys refuses to divulge what he has signed up nrl to so we wont know what we look like for some time yet.

Yes and Fox or the AFL refuse to tell us whats the problem that a new deal between the AFL and Fox has not been reached. Also the AFL have not told us what the AFL is loosing in the corona virus deal with Fox, it has been hinted at 90m over the remaining years and in other report as much as it's 120m, any idea's Mr Red.
Quote-

According Seven’s statement, the broadcaster estimates the new deal will allow it to save a whopping $87 million across the 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons.

The Australian reports an agreement with Foxtel is expected to be secured in coming days.

The report claims Seven and Foxtel are expected to receive a combined reduction of around $200 million over the next three AFL seasons.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...4/news-story/5c4b49be6c99afee8087c1849178ed6a

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes and Fox or the AFL refuse to tell us whats the problem that a new deal between the AFL and Fox has not been reached. Also the AFL have not told us what the AFL is loosing in the corona virus deal with Fox, it has been hinted at 90m over the remaining years and in other report as much as it's 120m, any idea's Mr Red.
Quote-

According Seven’s statement, the broadcaster estimates the new deal will allow it to save a whopping $87 million across the 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons.

The Australian reports an agreement with Foxtel is expected to be secured in coming days.

The report claims Seven and Foxtel are expected to receive a combined reduction of around $200 million over the next three AFL seasons.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...4/news-story/5c4b49be6c99afee8087c1849178ed6a

AFL ceo allegedly told clubs it is a 12-13% reduction on the remaining 3 years with Fox. Telstra remain paying full amount. We have had no indication at all from Abdo on the NRL deal with Nine or Fox or Telstra.

re seven either the savings that were put out are way off, or they've slashed massively in production and other areas or the $146mill is stacked with contra. The $150mill to $146 mill is widely reported and a direct quote from the CEO. Unless your Phil, I think we can take that as a fairly reliable source.

Piecing together all the articles it looks like for AFL:
Telstra $50 mill a year - staying same (20-22)
Fox $216mill a year reducing to $188mill a year (20-22) (13% reduction)
Seven $150mill a year reducing to $146mill a year (20-24) (approx 3% reduction)

Overall a reduction from $416mill (inc contra) a year to $384mill a year (inc contra) (approx 8% reduction) up to end of 2022.

The pre covid NRL Australian media deal was apporx $360mill a year (inc contra)

Last edited:

Gill The Dill is stupid enough to think a fumbleball team can work in Auckland within the next 30 years.

WTF?

He even said, "after rugby union there is no clearly dominant second sport". I'm sure there are plenty of cricket and RL fans who wouldn't piss on fumbleball, let alone watch a team fumble a ball around an oval and fist a behind. This bloke is a loony.

The lying piece of shit said there are 30,000 people playing fumbleball around Auckland. Like f**k there are. There's no way in this world that 30,000 people are registered to play 18-a-side fumbleball games in organised competitions around Auckland. If there were then that would mean the entire state of Queensland has fewer fumbleballers than Auckland.

This is the bloke Perth Red gets his info from. Let that sink in.

Last edited:
The 2019 Annual Report for AFL NZ makes a mockery of Gil The Dill's claim that 30,000 people are playing the game.

https://issuu.com/hurstcreative/docs/aflnz_annual_report_2019_final_issuu

Just by searching for "participants" I was able to find the 30,000 figure he cited.

"Through the support of The Regional Sports Trusts, Kiwisport and Foundation North, AFL New Zealand provided 31,644 personal experiences to Primary and Intermediate School children across 58 schools through the AFL KiwiKick Programme within the Northland, Auckland, Wellington and Canterbury Regions."​
FumbleballNZBS01.png

So they're not registered players, which is what the media cites when referring to RL player numbers. It's just a bunch of kids who went through the NZ version of AusKick, with some playing 9-a-side fumbleball on a rugby union/league field.
FumbleballNZBS03.png

The real number of "participants" around Auckland is 125 from 62 schools.
FumbleballNZBS04.png

Last edited:

Latest posts