What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench
Future Sydney NRL club venues: (capacity just a guess)

SFS 42,500: Roosters, Souths, Anzac game
Liverpool 32,000: Bulldogs, 7 Wests Tigers
Bankwest 30,000: Eels
Penrith 22,500: Panthers
Kogarah 22,500: Dragons
Brookvale 20,000: Manly
Shark Park 19,500: Sharks
Leichhardt Oval 19,000: 4 Wests Tigers

I think that sorts Sydney NRL club venues into the future.

What's happening with the upgrade to Campbelltown for the A-League team going there?

Surely the Tigers split would have to be Campbelltown/Leichhardt, if the Campbelltown ground is upgraded? Leave Liverpool to the Bulldogs.

unforgiven

Bench
What's happening with the upgrade to Campbelltown for the A-League team going there?

Surely the Tigers split would have to be Campbelltown/Leichhardt, if the Campbelltown ground is upgraded? Leave Liverpool to the Bulldogs.

The Tigers split isn't currently CSS and LO

flippikat

Bench
The Tigers split isn't currently CSS and LO

The current split isn't relevant - it's all about how the Tigers position themselves looking ahead.

Under the plan, the Roosters, Eels, Panthers, Sea-Eagles, Bulldogs (Liverpool), Rabbitohs would all be fulltime in modern builds or recent refurbishments/upgrades.

The Dragons would be clearly split between a refurbished Sydney ground of their own, and the 'Gong.

The Sharks wouldn't have any government funded redevelopment of Shark Park, BUT if they can parlay all that development money they talk about into a decent facility, they're set for a reasonable home.

The Tigers stand out like a sore thumb. Where exactly is their place in this?

With no money to upgrade Leichhardt, and a kinda lukewarm attitude towards Campbelltown.. the Tigers risk becoming a club that just plays out of "other clubs stadiums", nomads with no sense of a "home".

Actually, they're kinda heading down that path already...

unforgiven

Bench
The current split isn't relevant - it's all about how the Tigers position themselves looking ahead.

Under the plan, the Roosters, Eels, Panthers, Sea-Eagles, Bulldogs (Liverpool), Rabbitohs would all be fulltime in modern builds or recent refurbishments/upgrades.

The Dragons would be clearly split between a refurbished Sydney ground of their own, and the 'Gong.

The Sharks wouldn't have any government funded redevelopment of Shark Park, BUT if they can parlay all that development money they talk about into a decent facility, they're set for a reasonable home.

The Tigers stand out like a sore thumb. Where exactly is their place in this?

With no money to upgrade Leichhardt, and a kinda lukewarm attitude towards Campbelltown.. the Tigers risk becoming a club that just plays out of "other clubs stadiums", nomads with no sense of a "home".

Actually, they're kinda heading down that path already...

I think they should move all games to the new Liverpool stadium.

ash the bash

Juniors
WT's will never fully leave the inner west thats where the dollars are. A reason they have their incoming COE in inner west, to make it more attractive to players too. Not to mention Wests Ashfield's location.

Chairman Mr Lee talks about setting up Liverpool as their main stadium and still retaining games at "traditional" Wests Tigers grounds when they see fit. By the sounds of that it could be potentially 8 Liverpool, 2 Campbelltown, 2 Leichhardt Oval.

Personally don't see the point of games in Campbelltown if they are playing at Liverpool but thats what the chairman suggested.

My only concern for the Liverpool stadium is that it has a capacity for more than 30K. When WT's and Bulldogs do have a good run having a stadium at 20K is going to limit them.

Have seen plans for Brookvale and at 19K is perfect for Manly. Once the novelty wears off crowds of 12k - 14k will look pretty full and generate a good atmosphere at the ground. 3,000 seats at North/South end with 5,000 on east/west stands along with second tier on east/west with 3,000 seats each. Waratahs would play a couple of games there with potential for soccer.

According to some on Twitter its going to be Kogarah first, then Manly, Liverpool and last Penrith in time lines for construction.

If you asked me a few years ago what my preference for Sydney NRL stadiums would be. Feel this is a better option than spending on ANZ while reducing its capacity to 72K. ANZ should only be for prelim finals, Origin and the Grand final. Strongly against any NRL club games to continue there especially now its not going to be upgraded. Maybe a blessing in disguise with ANZ not going ahead.

unforgiven

Bench
WT's will never fully leave the inner west thats where the dollars are. A reason they have their incoming COE in inner west, to make it more attractive to players too. Not to mention Wests Ashfield's location.

Chairman Mr Lee talks about setting up Liverpool as their main stadium and still retaining games at "traditional" Wests Tigers grounds when they see fit. By the sounds of that it could be potentially 8 Liverpool, 2 Campbelltown, 2 Leichhardt Oval.

Personally don't see the point of games in Campbelltown if they are playing at Liverpool but thats what the chairman suggested.

My only concern for the Liverpool stadium is that it has a capacity for more than 30K. When WT's and Bulldogs do have a good run having a stadium at 20K is going to limit them.

Have seen plans for Brookvale and at 19K is perfect for Manly. Once the novelty wears off crowds of 12k - 14k will look pretty full and generate a good atmosphere at the ground. 3,000 seats at North/South end with 5,000 on east/west stands along with second tier on east/west with 3,000 seats each. Waratahs would play a couple of games there with potential for soccer.

According to some on Twitter its going to be Kogarah first, then Manly, Liverpool and last Penrith in time lines for construction.

If you asked me a few years ago what my preference for Sydney NRL stadiums would be. Feel this is a better option than spending on ANZ while reducing its capacity to 72K. ANZ should only be for prelim finals, Origin and the Grand final. Strongly against any NRL club games to continue there especially now its not going to be upgraded. Maybe a blessing in disguise with ANZ not going ahead.

Mate this is a very good post, I think its important that both the bulldogs and Tigers come out and commit to Liverpool but push for it to be 30k. I think this is important in regards to this stadium. There are already Wests Tigers fans stating that they will not accept Liverpool.

flippikat

Bench
The Tigers problem is they haven’t evolved from the 1999 teams of Balmain and Western Suburbs. Instead of being a new super-Sydney team, they’ve kept looking to the past instead of the future.

Precisely THIS - and word that some fans won't "buy in" to a Liverpool venue for the Tigers just backs that up.

Liverpool looks like a good geographical midpoint between the Campbelltown supporter base and the Ashfield/Balmain base.. so if a great joint-tenant solution for the Bulldogs & Tigers can be built there, surely that's a decent solution to the nomad issue?

ash the bash

Juniors
WT's are going to need to be brave and realise they can't be everything for everyone. No matter what they decide some elements of the hardcore are not going to be happy.

The key is finding a way to harness the potential large base of Liverpool/Campbelltown without loosing the white collar supporters from Balmain/Ryde etc... They need to always retain the "mystic" with playing some games at Leichhardt oval.

I disagree with the Chairman that they need to still play games at Campbelltown while playing at Liverpool. Certainly not a local so cannot really say this confidently, but I can't imagine travelling from Campbelltown to Liverpool is that far ? Happy to be corrected.

Therefore if I was WT's I would look at 9 Liverpool & 3 Leichhardt Oval. Gives them their permanent home along with 3 big event days at Leichhardt.

Tiger Shark

Bench
As much as I like to see Leichardt get upgraded I can't see them doing it just for the Tigers. There needs to be other teams playing out of it. Who else would play out of Leichardt ?

I also don't see the Sharks willingly move to Kogarah unless there's some real incentive for them.

Can the NRL "force" you to play at a certain ground ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
As much as I like to see Leichardt get upgraded I can't see them doing it just for the Tigers. There needs to be other teams playing out of it. Who else would play out of Leichardt ?

I also don't see the Sharks willingly move to Kogarah unless there's some real incentive for them.

Can the NRL "force" you to play at a certain ground ?

No, not as long as it meets standards, and those standards are pretty low.

RedVee

First Grade
As a Macarthur resident pretty disappointed that Campbelltown Stadium misses out, especially with the Bulls starting up in A League.

As a St George Illawarra & Sydney FC fan I’m happy that Jubilee is getting another improvement. Though underwhelmed that they are looking to go to 20,000 capacity. Not much of a stretch from 18k.
The last re do took the ground to 22000 and a bit until the first game and the police made the call to reduce numbers on the hill, and the number went backwards to 18 and a bit.
Not sure what the master plan is but am keen to see it.

flippikat

Bench
West Coast Tigers solve the Wests Tigers and the Perth problem ;)

I think that's not an unreasonable proposition.

If the Tigers move to Perth, the Bulldogs play at Liverpool, and get the South-West.. then that would be a HUGE step towards a less-saturated & clearly delineated Sydney NRL map.

Plus it means we could have Brisbane 2, Perth AND either Adelaide or NZ2 with 18 clubs.

unforgiven

Bench
I think that's not an unreasonable proposition.

If the Tigers move to Perth, the Bulldogs play at Liverpool, and get the South-West.. then that would be a HUGE step towards a less-saturated & clearly delineated Sydney NRL map.

Plus it means we could have Brisbane 2, Perth AND either Adelaide or NZ2 with 18 clubs.

I think Wests Tigers fans have done enough for the game. Maybe should be someone else's turn to sacrifice for the good of the game.

flippikat

Bench
I think Wests Tigers fans have done enough for the game. Maybe should be someone else's turn to sacrifice for the good of the game.

Admittedly the fans have done well to accept & support the JV so far, but I get the feeling that they've been let down by pretty poor management of the club.

The whole concept of the JV was sold as "two very week, yet proud foundation clubs uniting to be stronger than the sum of it's parts", which apart from a fluke of a 2005 season just HASN'T DELIVERED on that promise. (Side note, as a Warriors fan, I know all about not delivering on promise).

You can't say that an underperforming club, with no clear home, located in an over-saturated market that could be clearly geographically restructured without them should be safe JUST BECAUSE they're a product of a merger.

Anyway, if not Tigers then who? Souths? Bulldogs? Parra? That's the only other 3 clubs in that "inner west" pile-up we have right now...

unforgiven

Bench
Admittedly the fans have done well to accept & support the JV so far, but I get the feeling that they've been let down by pretty poor management of the club.

The whole concept of the JV was sold as "two very week, yet proud foundation clubs uniting to be stronger than the sum of it's parts", which apart from a fluke of a 2005 season just HASN'T DELIVERED on that promise. (Side note, as a Warriors fan, I know all about not delivering on promise).

You can't say that an underperforming club, with no clear home, located in an over-saturated market that could be clearly geographically restructured without them should be safe JUST BECAUSE they're a product of a merger.

I can say a well supported club that's fans have already been through what they have, have ever right to say leave my club alone. Piss off one of the other clubs that even when we haven't made the finals in 10 years struggle to match our crowds and membership. How about that?