What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
Look how close that rail line is. If only they’d gone with that Allianz over Central Railway idea. I’m never gonna let that go.

It would have been great with food and bars all the way from the CBD to the ground. The best bet is to try to make Parramatta like that now.

The problem with the SFS/Moore Park and the city is the NRL don't work those areas very hard and have in some cases (Toes & Bears etc) given up.
All the RL fans seem to live at least a couple suburbs away from the city. They should have tried to get Parra stadium to 50k.

The Central idea could’ve pulled Thursday/Friday night office crowds, though where as Moore Park is a bit outa site-outa mind kinda thing. Also Central is an ‘all roads lead to Rome‘ in that people don’t need to swap trains to get there, so you’d think more away fans would turn up? I did mention that I can’t let it go.

TheRam

Coach
The Central idea could’ve pulled Thursday/Friday night office crowds, though where as Moore Park is a bit outa site-outa mind kinda thing. Also Central is an ‘all roads lead to Rome‘ in that people don’t need to swap trains to get there, so you’d think more away fans would turn up? I did mention that I can’t let it go.

If it ever happened I would suggest that it would never have less then 25k at any game. Probably closer to 30-40k average every year. It would have been a game changer fir Sydney stadium crowds. Tourist companies would put it in their brochures for overseas travelers visiting our great city. That alone would boost the crowds by anything from 2-5k depending on the event.

The positives are endless, but alas it isn't to be, you dirty rotten mongrels politicians. No vision and no gumption arse wipes they are.

If it ever happened I would suggest that it would never have less then 25k at any game. Probably closer to 30-40k average every year. It would have been a game changer fir Sydney stadium crowds. Tourist companies would put it in their brochures for overseas travelers visiting our great city. That alone would boost the crowds by anything from 2-5k depending on the event.

The positives are endless, but alas it isn't to be, you dirty rotten mongrels politicians. No vision and no gumption arse wipes they are.

You can’t let go of it either, eh?

TheRam

Coach
You can’t let go of it either, eh?

No...and for good reason. It is a terrible decision not to do it. The Moore Park Stadium will do well enough for crowds in the first couple of seasons while it is still new and a novelty draw card for most Sydney sports fans to go and visit. But once that wears off and Heaven forbid the Roosters have a couple of lean seasons, it will drop way down on attendances. Probably still decent, but I doubt anything like say the Broncos get most seasons.

But what a Central Station Stadium would have done is create rusted on patrons no matter who is playing or what their relative position on the table is. People that just want a night out in the city and something to do and see before heading home type of stuff. That then becomes a routine for many and you aren't necessarily getting only people that want to see their team play but many others that want to be there for the entertainment aspect with fellow worker e.t.c. and be part of the atmosphere and watch an event.

I live in the city and I can tell you if it were built I would have gone along no matter who is playing just for the entertainment and watching a game live that is so easy to get to and back home again. There are tens of thousands of us now that live in the city that would love a world class stadium in our backyard that isn't a hassle to get in and out of. That has great eateries and drinking establishments all around and by its sheer proximity to the city you can actually hear the roar of the crowd every week to entice everyone around to want to come and visit. Moore Park will still have its limitations and is out of sight and out of mind due to its location.

Like I said, it would have become a must go to destination for millions when visiting Sydney over its lifetime. It would have turned into an iconic landmark and included in any and every ad campaign for Sydney and Australia as a whole. In no time at all it would of been shown in images promoting Sydney as much as we see images of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

I just am so annoyed at how useless our politicians are. Real pissed off actually. They rarely if ever get anything right.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No...and for good reason. It is a terrible decision not to do it. The Moore Park Stadium will do well enough for crowds in the first couple of seasons while it is still new and a novelty draw card for most Sydney sports fans to go and visit. But once that wears off and Heaven forbid the Roosters have a couple of lean seasons, it will drop way down on attendances. Probably still decent, but I doubt anything like say the Broncos get most seasons.

But what a Central Station Stadium would have done is create rusted on patrons no matter who is playing or what their relative position on the table is. People that just want a night out in the city and something to do and see before heading home type of stuff. That then becomes a routine for many and you aren't necessarily getting only people that want to see their team play but many others that want to be there for the entertainment aspect with fellow worker e.t.c. and be part of the atmosphere and watch an event.

I live in the city and I can tell you if it were built I would have gone along no matter who is playing just for the entertainment and watching a game live that is so easy to get to and back home again. There are tens of thousands of us now that live in the city that would love a world class stadium in our backyard that isn't a hassle to get in and out of. That has great eateries and drinking establishments all around and by its sheer proximity to the city you can actually hear the roar of the crowd every week to entice everyone around to want to come and visit. Moore Park will still have its limitations and is out of sight and out of mind due to its location.

Like I said, it would have become a must go to destination for millions when visiting Sydney over its lifetime. It would have turned into an iconic landmark and included in any and every ad campaign for Sydney and Australia as a whole. In no time at all it would of been shown in images promoting Sydney as much as we see images of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

I just am so annoyed at how useless our politicians are. Real pissed off actually. They rarely if ever get anything right.

Yep, make it a landmark in design for the city and a must do thing on a night. Heck it might have even drawn a crowd on a Thursday night!
Having said that location isnt the only problem though. Optus stadium isnt walking distance from Perth CBD but still gets 50k crowds. There needs to be a cultural change amongst sports fans in Sydney for games to draw really decent crowds on a regular basis. Having a central stadium would have certainly removed one of the excuses though.

T-Boon

Coach

They could have called it the Footy House.

Jamberoo

Juniors

In reality hardly anyone goes to sports just for something to do on a Friday night. People go because their team is playing. More go when their team is winning and even more go if the game is easy to get to and facilities are good. You might get an extra 10% or even 20% at Central, which would be awesome but you are not going to average 35k - especially when Roosters are the main tenant.
You need to let it go.

It just isn't going to happen. The money isn't there for it and nor is the political will from either side to build it at NSW level. If you think it will happen, sorry, but you are living in a pipe dream.

TheRam

Coach
In reality hardly anyone goes to sports just for something to do on a Friday night. People go because their team is playing. More go when their team is winning and even more go if the game is easy to get to and facilities are good. You might get an extra 10% or even 20% at Central, which would be awesome but you are not going to average 35k - especially when Roosters are the main tenant.
You need to let it go.

People go to events that are popular and have atmosphere. If it has that then its success will create the buzz that generates even more success. It becomes the cool thing to do. Young people in particular love doing what is seen as cool and drop right out of what is perceived as un-cool.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People go to events that are popular and have atmosphere. If it has that then its success will create the buzz that generates even more success. It becomes the cool thing to do. Young people in particular love doing what is seen as cool and drop right out of what is perceived as un-cool.

Thats why a central stadium that hosted two Friday night games every week (6pm and 7.45pm) would have worked. Hype them up as the must do thing in Sydney on a Friday night. Craft Beer village and food trucks around the stadium, live music stage in the village after the game for you to stay on etc.
Get 4% of the Sydney city Friday day time population to stay on and enjoy a night at the NRL experience and its 40k sell out every week.

But that would mean
A) the NRl having a clue
B) The NSw govt having a clue
C) clubs being unselfish and accepting a partial central stadium strategy

Oh well we can but dream of what could be lol

Souths have confirmed, due to member feedback, Souths' home games for 2021 and 2022 will remain at ANZ.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ning-to-anz-stadium-in-seasons-2021-and-2022/

Rabbitohs Returning to ANZ Stadium in Seasons 2021 and 2022
Author
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Timestamp
Thu 1 Oct 2020, 02:58 PM
The South Sydney Rabbitohs will continue to call ANZ Stadium home for the 2021 and 2022 seasons following feedback from the Club’s Members. The Rabbitohs will play nine home games each season at ANZ Stadium (pending a 12 home game, 12 away game season), a venue which the Rabbitohs have called home since 2006.

As in previous years and in addition to the nine games at ANZ Stadium each year, the Rabbitohs will take three home matches to regional areas to help spread the Rabbitohs spirit and take games to some of the heartland areas of Rugby League.

ssfc_marketing_2021_home_games_at_anz_1200x628.jpg

Rabbitohs CEO, Blake Solly, says Rabbitohs Members clearly regard ANZ Stadium as ‘home’.

“The feedback was very strong that our Members see ANZ Stadium and the new development at Moore Park as preferred options for us into the future, so it is a no-brainer for us as a Club to listen to our Members and lock in ANZ Stadium as our home stadium for at least the next two seasons,” Mr Solly said.

We’re looking forward to finishing off season 2020 in style and then focusing on delivering some fantastic match day experiences at ANZ Stadium in 2021 and beyond.

“We are continuing to work with the team at VenuesLive and the State Government on making sure our Members and supporters have a great experience every time they attend a game at ANZ Stadium, as well as exploring all options post-2022 when we expect the Moore Park development to be online. I also want to thank the Members for their patience as we have investigated all options in recent months.

“With our 2021 Membership packages set to go on sale on Wednesday 7 October, our Members can now sign up with certainty about the number of games they will get in their packages over the next couple of seasons, as well as certainty around where the games will be played.

“We’re looking forward to finishing off season 2020 in style and then focusing on delivering some fantastic match day experiences at ANZ Stadium in 2021 and beyond.”

ANZ Stadium CEO, Daryl Kerry, said he was delighted the Rabbitohs would be playing out of the Stadium in seasons 2021 and 2022.

“It was only last week that we watched in awe as the Rabbitohs racked up a record 60-8 score line against the Sydney Roosters and the energy and noise that the South Sydney Members and supporters created that night at ANZ Stadium, even with a restricted COVID capacity, will long be remembered,” Mr Kerry said.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Rabbitohs v Roosters

Match Highlights: Rabbitohs v Roosters

“It has been a pleasure working with the South Sydney Rabbitohs Football Club since 2006 and we look forward to supporting the club and its Members throughout 2021 and 2022.

“The Rabbitohs have enjoyed great success at ANZ Stadium – including their Grand Final win in 2014 to bring up premiership No.21 – and we have been entertained by players who will be remembered among the long list of Rabbitohs club legends, players of the calibre of Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds.

“We have no doubt the Rabbitohs and their Members will enjoy further success at the Stadium in years to come.”

ash the bash

Juniors
Souths have confirmed, due to member feedback, Souths' home games for 2021 and 2022 will remain at ANZ.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ning-to-anz-stadium-in-seasons-2021-and-2022/

Always going to be ANZ for the next two years, team plays a lot better at ANZ too. It very much leaves open a return to Moore park once the new SFS is done. Few interesting options for Souths come 2023.
- Stick with ANZ
- Full move to Moore Park
- 50/50 ANZ & Moore Park
Personally I think they will fully move to Moore Park, would have stayed at ANZ if it had the upgrades that were proposed.

unforgiven

Bench

siv

First Grade
I miss the Entertainment Centre

Yes replacing it with a bunch of office blocks was so dumb in the middle of entertainment area bounded by Darling Harbour, Powerhouse, Chinatown, Paddy market, convention centre all with easy access to Central and the city

Not as if the city couldnt house these office blocks with a rebuild of some run down buildings

Suitman

Post Whore
Yes replacing it with a bunch of office blocks was so dumb in the middle of entertainment area bounded by Darling Harbour, Powerhouse, Chinatown, Paddy market, convention centre all with easy access to Central and the city

Not as if the city couldnt house these office blocks with a rebuild of some run down buildings

Those office blocks you speak of are actually residential apartments. All of them.
There are laneways and restaurants and it is quite a revitalized and vibrant area.
In saying that, I miss the Entertainment Centre as well.

Latest posts