What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLM01

First Grade
The defence opening addresses won't be as salacious so won't get anywhere near the same press coverage. My money is on a mis-trial after a couple of weeks.
Funny that..and most of society are so attuned to media coverage as gospel. We will wait and see.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Unless you lock them in a cage how could you do that?
Whilst technology does make it harder for jurors to escape news during a case, what’s being reported each day is the court proceedings & evidence tended.

Given that the jurors are in that very courtroom they’d already have seen & heard what is being reported so it’s hardly prejudicial.

TruSaint

Referee
The name of the complainant is suppressed. In previous hearings other matters and details were suppressed.

Yes the name of the plaintiff is rightfully suppressed, however the trial itself is open to media reporting.
In cases like Pells, the whole trial was suppressed.

hewi

Bench
Yes the name of the plaintiff is rightfully suppressed, however the trial itself is open to media reporting.
In cases like Pells, the whole trial was suppressed.

IMO in light of what’s been published only if he was found guilty should this have been allowed to be published.

possm

Coach
IMO in light of what’s been published only if he was found guilty should this have been allowed to be published.
Does anyone on here believe that De Belin is the only player who has cheated on his wife? I'd suggest that there are a multitude of players that have done so.

So then it must come down to if this was coessential or not. If not De Belin should be punished by the courts however, if he is found not guilty, we and the club should not intervene in something which is a family matter that is only in the public domain because a complaint was lodged with the police.

ALSGI

Bench
Does anyone on here believe that De Belin is the only player who has cheated on his wife? I'd suggest that there are a multitude of players that have done so.

So then it must come down to if this was coessential or not. If not De Belin should be punished by the courts however, if he is found not guilty, we and the club should not intervene in something which is a family matter that is only in the public domain because a complaint was lodged with the police.
Disagree possm, he is a public figure the second he signs a contract and begins to earn a huge salary.
His marriage is a family matter but his conduct is very much public matter, just ask the NRL, club and sponsors mate.

Old Timer

Coach

Possum you are so wrong on this it is hard to know where to start.

He is not on trial in court for cheating on his wife.

He is on trial for a heinous crime with massive consequences.

This is not a family matter as you put it it is a criminal matter which was reported to the police who presented the evidence to the DPP who believe that on that basis there is a case to answer.

Your post unfortunately appears to trivialise or simplify a very complex situation with far reaching ramifications for all concerned including the club.

ALSGI

Bench

This is not a family matter as you put it it is a criminal matter which was reported to the police who presented the evidence to the DPP who believe that on that basis there is a case to answer.

Your post unfortunately appears to trivialise or simplify a very complex situation with far reaching ramifications for all concerned including the club.
Couldn’t have said this better, one of your best OT.

BLM01

First Grade

What if he is found innocent? Dragons will sign him up in a heartbeat and have him playing and I agree with that and so will the sponsors.

Old Timer

Coach
What if he is found innocent? Dragons will sign him up in a heartbeat and have him playing and I agree with that and so will the sponsors.
If he is found “not guilty” should not and hopefully will not mean that he is immediately returned to the club.

The evidence and agreed facts should have a bearing on any decision and I believe in my own mind that will be the case with the major if not all sponsors.

If the details are “sordid and / or sleazy” regardless of being legal then the sponsors will not be happy and they are far more important than JDB’s playing ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.