What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

mongoose

Coach
Brisbane Roar looking to do a more permanent move to Redcliffe

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...e/news-story/c9e8bd4ef417913edc551d5022075d88

Roar coach Warren Moon has made no apologies for the A-League club’s plan to further reduce ties with the city of Brisbane by playing all their home matches at Dolphin Stadium.

Having recently made the Gold Coast their training base, the Roar have informed members of their intention to no longer play home games at Suncorp Stadium but instead at the boutique Redcliffe ground – situated in the Moreton Bay region – that was the venue for two of their A-League matches last season.

That’s despite the Roar’s contract with Stadiums Queensland to play their home games at Suncorp Stadium having at least another season to run.

“The club will be looking to play its A-League fixtures at Dolphin Stadium for the coming season along with a number of W-League watches either as double headers or a stand-

alone fixture,” Roar members were told via an emailed update.

“The club makes these decisions after taking into account the current economic climate as well as ensuring the club can best serve its players, coaches, staff, sponsors, and most importantly, our dedicated members and fans across Queensland, Australia and internationally.

“Brisbane Roar will always be a team for all of Queensland no matter if you live in the north, south, east or west of our great state, or you’re among the 100s of thousands of supporters across Australia and around the world.”

The plan to abandon the 52,500-capacity Suncorp Stadium, the Roar’s home ground since the A-League’s inception and the venue of the club’s three grand final wins, has been met with a mixed response from fans.

But Moon could not understand why there would be any objections from supporters.

“I don’t see what the big deal is,” said the Roar coach, also one of the club’s foundation players.

“I’m always wary of what people say but there is always going to be feedback positive and negative.

“We’re going to a boutique stadium that has an amazing atmosphere.

“It’s nothing but a win-win for the club. It’s a great move for the club moving forward.

“This is a decision that has been made in the best interests of the club and long-term sustainability, and I don’t think anyone can begrudge us that.”

“We’re called Brisbane Roar but we’re a team for all of Queensland as well.”

Recent work at Dolphin Stadium has seen the venue’s capacity rise to 11,500.

The Roar attracted crowds of 9387 and 9224 at the Redcliffe ground last season for respective matches against Melbourne City (4-3 win) and Perth Glory (1-1 draw).

The club’s best Suncorp Stadium attendance last season was 12,859 for their 1-0 loss to Melbourne Victory last October.

greenBV4

Bench
Interesting
Wonder how much they are paying the dolphins

Also by the sounds of it and based on previous instances, stadiums qld needs to have a long hard look at itself and its pricing model

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting
Wonder how much they are paying the dolphins

Also by the sounds of it and based on previous instances, stadiums qld needs to have a long hard look at itself and its pricing model

Will be a good test to see if they can draw fans and corporates to an outer suburb stadium in similar numbers to Suncorp.

greenBV4

Bench
Will be a good test to see if they can draw fans and corporates to an outer suburb stadium in similar numbers to Suncorp.
it also sounds a bit like a threat to get better a better deal at suncorp, might stick with it for a year or 2

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its not just fans, clubs often make more money from game day corporate sales than they do ticket sales. Not sure what the corporate facilities are like at Redcliffe but you'd think it would be a harder sell than selling Suncorp boxes.

Vee

First Grade
Its not just fans, clubs often make more money from game day corporate sales than they do ticket sales. Not sure what the corporate facilities are like at Redcliffe but you'd think it would be a harder sell than selling Suncorp boxes.
At a much cheaper hire.

South Queensland Crushers official Darryl Van de Velde supports Dolphins' bid.

"I've got no doubt there is [appetite for a second Brisbane team] and when the Crushers were there, there was always the appetite.

"The financial wherewithal wasn't there but I think that's changed. There's some reasonably well-heeled second-tier competition teams now, like Redcliffe and Easts."

Redcliffe Dolphins, Easts Tigers (as Brisbane Firehawks), Western Corridor (backed by Ipswich Jets) and Brisbane Bombers are the four current bids for the second Brisbane team, which would become the NRL's 17th franchise. ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has pencilled in a new Brisbane club for 2022, or perhaps 2023 after the financial challenges imposed by COVID-19.

By the reckoning of Wayne Bennett and also Van de Velde, Redcliffe is the obvious No.1 contender. The Dolphins are a powerhouse Queensland club boasting assets of more than $100 million. They have a 40,000-member leagues club, plus a shopping centre with Coles as the anchor tenant.

The football infrastructure is also first-rate, including a gym and aquatic centre. Dolphin Stadium has been redeveloped into an 11,500 capacity boutique venue, an excellent training base that could host games; though Suncorp Stadium would be the club's primary home ground in the NRL.

Van de Velde has urged the club to consider also playing a game per season on the Sunshine Coast
and change the name of the NRL team to reflect a broader area than just Redcliffe. The Dolphins would immediately be one of the NRL's richest clubs if accepted, yet may still need pragmatism.

"They need to pick up probably Sunshine Coast and places like that to get the fan base," Van de Velde said.

"And not call themselves Redcliffe Dolphins,
call themselves South East Queensland Dolphins or something like that, so they can embrace a bigger catchment area, which will be crucial to helping them fund the operations.

"There's going to be 70-80,000 people in that corridor from Sunshine Coast to Redcliffe, it's massive. All around those places now, there's bloody houses going up by the dozen. They need to embrace that because that is a massive growth area.

"Redcliffe's got to be really careful - and I'm a Redcliffe person too, because I coached there a couple of years and I played there one year - how they brand that club. It can't be Redcliffe Dolphins, they've got to try and grow a bigger catchment area because that's where your fan base is going to come from."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/expans...edcliffe/dab74d5d-8553-4cbf-b9f6-a7b801725ef7

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unusually for a LC I still,p can’t find an annual report from them, anyone else had any luck? I’m interested to see if their current P&L actually gives them some spare millions every year to sink Into an nrl club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They need to pick up probably Sunshine Coast and places like that to get the fan base," Van de Velde said.

And there in lies their Achilles heal. They aren’t going to have enough fans with just their area and it seems fanciful to think the people of the Sunshine Coast are going to buy memberships in big numbers to a club called the Brisbane dolphins based at Redcliffe and playing out of Suncorp. Why would they, because the club plays one game a year there?

ash the bash

Juniors
Unusually for a LC I still,p can’t find an annual report from them, anyone else had any luck? I’m interested to see if their current P&L actually gives them some spare millions every year to sink Into an nrl club.

Very hard to find annual reports for QLD leagues clubs for some reason. Being searching for one for Easts Leagues with no luck too.

They need to pick up probably Sunshine Coast and places like that to get the fan base," Van de Velde said.

And there in lies their Achilles heal. They aren’t going to have enough fans with just their area and it seems fanciful to think the people of the Sunshine Coast are going to buy memberships in big numbers to a club called the Brisbane dolphins based at Redcliffe and playing out of Suncorp. Why would they, because the club plays one game a year there?
Their best bet would be to saddle up with other clubs, preferably Sunshine Coast and Wynnum, so they can draw support from those fanbases. Yeah I know, some will not want a part if it, but not all will have that attitude. I'm a Wynnum fan and if they did that then I would be super happy to support the Dolphins at NRL level, just as some Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers fans barrack for Wests Tigers.

If Sunshine Coast's residents don't want to be involved then just focus on Wynnum. Falcons are strugglers off the field and would be stone motherless last on the ladder each year without their association with the Storm. Wynnum has clout and history. There has been a concerted effort by Wynnum to broaden their appeal to Redland. The club has taken home games to Redlands Parrots and promote TRL in Redlands at home games.

Both Wynnum and Redcliffe have massive Leagues Clubs, bigger than the Broncos. Add green and blue to their logo and playing kit. Call themselves East Coast Dolphins, representing Brisbane's bayside, Logan, Moreton Bay and Redland.

Logan = Blue, White and Gold
Redland = Red, Green, Blue and White.
Moreton Bay = Orange, Blue and Green
Sunshine Coast = Blue and Green

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again Same problem though, Redland is 40km to stadium with no public transport. How and why would fans support them? Just because they have a feeder arrangement with the lower tier side isnt going to convert thousands of people to supporting them is it?

Again Same problem though, Redland is 40km to stadium with no public transport. How and why would fans support them? Just because they have a feeder arrangement with the lower tier side isnt going to convert thousands of people to supporting them is it?
Can you now see why I believe stadiums should be built north, west and south of Brisbane so that people from these areas can regularly attend NRL games?

We should be trying to get as many people as possible, especially kids, to experience the game live and feel like they're part of the club. That's what reels people in as lifelong fans.

Property prices in City of Brisbane are spiralling out of control and forcing people to move further away from the CBD and into neighbouring cities. Getting from the outskirts of Logan, Redland, Moreton Bay and Ipswich to Lang Park at night is time consuming and hectic. The population of these cities is growing at a fast rate. RL should be for everyone, not just the lucky few who live in Brisbane.

Not all people are healthy enough to endure a 30-90 minute bus/train ride, 20-40 wait in the queue lining up for the bus/train, snail pace exit from Lang Park to its bus terminal, which can be up to 30 or more minutes and the added on time driving to and from the bus/train station. Some people have to take medications to stay alive and need to be in bed by a certain time. With so many games at night, especially in Brisbane, it makes a trip to Lang Park very difficult for the sickly. I know, as I have very serious health problems and require medication to stay alive.

I've seen young, strong fit people in Broncos kits from Redland walking along Redland Bay Rd to get to a bus stop so they could get to another bus to get to Lang Park on game day, but that's out of the question for most people.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes I can, and in an ideal world they would, but do you honestly see the qlnd govt stumping up $250mill a time to build suburban stadiums whilst Suncorp remains under-utilised? The two afl clubs in perth are massive because they play at a centralised state of the art stadium that can attract significant at crowds and corporate sales. The model is proven to work, Brisbane needs to do the same. People here don’t seem to have a problem travelling from 30km away to get to Optus, why would they to get to Suncorp? How many people live in a 30km radius of Suncorp? probably over a million. a new club only needs to attract 20k ish of them, shouldn’t be that hard if RL really is that popular in Brisbane. And if it isnt then why are we wasting a rare expansion spot on a second club there?