What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

flippikat

Bench
If 'play the long game brilliantly' means having News preselect you for expansion because they think you'll be the least competitive with the Broncos and have the least impact on the value of broadcasting rights, then yeah they've played it brilliantly...
I was meaning the part where they fiercely protected their "right" to bid under the Dolphins name in 2005 when the Gold Coast bid was threatening to use it... it's taken 16 years since then, but that appears to have paid off for them.

If they didn't make the GC bid back down from that branding, we'd have the GC Dolphins in teal & orange, and Redcliffe would have been forced into a Firehawks-type situation of having to find a different brand for their NRL bid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tony sage has assets of around $800milllion. Western quokkas next then lol
surely if we are counting owners net worth as the richness of a club then broncos win with news ltd as owners?
Yeah it was always BS, but it was effective BS.

The thing that gets me is just how quickly the line has changed now that they are certain they've got the license.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I was meaning the part where they fiercely protected their "right" to bid under the Dolphins name in 2005 when the Gold Coast bid was threatening to use it... it's taken 16 years since then, but that appears to have paid off for them.

If they didn't make the GC bid back down from that branding, we'd have the GC Dolphins in teal & orange, and Redcliffe would have been forced into a Firehawks-type situation of having to find a different brand for their NRL bid.
Relax, I was just taking the piss mate.

BTW, Redcliffe being forced into a rebrand would have been a good thing.

flippikat

Bench
Relax, I was just taking the piss mate.

BTW, Redcliffe being forced into a rebrand would have been a good thing.
No worries.. but yeah, good point - if Redcliffe HADN'T objected to the GC Dolphins, then we could have had a Gold Coast team with far better branding than what we got - even down to some pretty nifty and unique club colors... as well as Redcliffe having to come up with something that's not just a projection of their Qld Cup identity.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
There is hope for my Quadamooka idea.

-----

They are exploring a number of names including Sunshine State Dolphins and North Brisbane Dolphins and will seek public input before finalising an official brand.

“Redcliffe is not intended to be in the Dolphins NRL team’s name,” Reader said.

“Redcliffe will be the Dolphins’ NRL team base and present what the Red Hill base is to the Broncos.

“The Dolphins aim to consult with the community, fans and the NRL on a final name that may include a geographical reference suitable for Brisbane’s second NRL team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

MugaB

Coach
F#@k me! We get expansion and we get TV to pay for it and people still whinge! Sure, it's Brisbane 2 and not Perth or NZ2 or Adelaide but Brisbane 2 is still a must for the NRL and the next expansion slot will be for one of those other areas.
Whinge!!!! Who's whinging that doesn't usually open trap and spew whinge on a daily basis other than dane and red, like seriously they'd both still whinge even after NZ, WA & SA get bids licenced, if its not about PVL or AFL or new stadiums then theyd sit motionless until someone mentions it

F#@k me! We get expansion and we get TV to pay for it and people still whinge! Sure, it's Brisbane 2 and not Perth or NZ2 or Adelaide but Brisbane 2 is still a must for the NRL and the next expansion slot will be for one of those other areas.
I'm not so sure the next licence will come from NZ or Adelaide.

Perth might get in if they have the money, but the Easts Tigers' Brisbane Firehawks bid is probably a safer option as they have the infrastructure and history to galvanise SEQ against AwFuL in Logan and eastern suburbs of Brisbane, which is where the Lions are based. Dolphins are five or ten years more advanced than Firehawks, so there's logic in bringing them in first.

Three Brisbane clubs will appeal to FTA because there will be the option to televise a Brisbane vs Sydney match up in all of their slots over most rounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whinge!!!! Who's whinging that doesn't usually open trap and spew whinge on a daily basis other than dane and red, like seriously they'd both still whinge even after NZ, WA & SA get bids licenced, if its not about PVL or AFL or new stadiums then theyd sit motionless until someone mentions it
Whose whinging? I’ve said all along Brisbane2 is a no brainer And decades overdue (we should never be in this position) if Redcliffe are the best bid time will tell, if they can be succesful time will tell. If the process was just another news ltd driven decision we all may have an opinion on. Either way after procrastinating about expansion since 2008 I’m just fricking glad something is happening!!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Perth might get in if they have the money, but the Easts Tigers' Brisbane Firehawks bid is probably a safer option as they have the infrastructure and history to galvanise SEQ against AwFuL in Logan and eastern suburbs of Brisbane, which is where the Lions are based. Dolphins are five or ten years more advanced than Firehawks, so there's logic in bringing them in first.

Three Brisbane clubs will appeal to FTA because there will be the option to televise a Brisbane vs Sydney match up in all of their slots over most rounds.
The NRL seemed to indicate recently that NZ2 is on the radar, which is not a bad option as it has the benefits of growing the game in NZ, tapping into a good source of players, increasing the TV money from NZ, benefiting the international game and making life slightly more uncomfortable for RU

flippikat

Bench

While we should never underestimate the conservative nature of the NRL when it comes to expansion, we also shouldn't underestimate club self-interest (and Brisbane 3 would likely tred on Broncos & Titans toes, more than Dolphins).

So which force wins-out when it comes to that 18th team?

toomuchsoup

Juniors

I kinda wish the Titans went ahead with the teal and orange

Perth Red

Post Whore
While we should never underestimate the conservative nature of the NRL when it comes to expansion, we also shouldn't underestimate club self-interest (and Brisbane 3 would likely tred on Broncos & Titans toes, more than Dolphins).

So which force wins-out when it comes to that 18th team?
There is no greater force influencing decision making in the nrl than news ltd. If they want it they’ll get it, if they don’t we wont, simple as that.

Latest posts