What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree Inisai,

As you say, Cam is gusty, tough, wholehearted, plays for ever second of the game and gives 110% every week.

He does lacks the spark of being a game breaker which cancels him from being elite but l would go as far as saying that no other player in the nrl is as committed as Cam, therefore, in his own way, he can be considered a classic player.
If Cam lacks spark it’s because he’s been making 50 tackles a (978 in 2020) game the past 2 years, since we lost JdB. If you remember the Melbourne game he ran a lot more because Sims covered Lock.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Well, I'd rather keep McInnes and dump Hunt but noone wants Hunt at that price so we are stuck with him for the next 3 years thanks to another stupid signing by Millward and Mary. Why would we give him an additional 3 year option IN HIS FAVOUR? It should have always been a 1 year option in the Clubs favour.

So that is all spent milk. We have two halves coming through that should do the job fine and we also have Bird to back them up if necessary. Norman's last season and then Hunt for another 3 years before we can balance our salary cap.

Cam McInnes is on about 450k right now and I am sure he will be offered in excess of 600k by other clubs. We can afford this but the s**t will hit the fan when our young guns are up for an extension and we don't have the cap to support them. It will be then that the 1.6m for Hunt/McInnes might be painful.

I feel confident that Griffin will get our prop rotation working hard both in defence and attack so, maybe our halves will be able to perform to their ability in 2021. If Sims and Ford can also lift their game we are more than halfway there.
Millward has his fingerprints on the Hunt contract but it was Mary who wanted him at any price now we stuck with him for another 3yrs.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I dont think @Dragonslayer has rocks in his head at all.

The coach should not be selecting players based on $$$ contracts.

That's where we have fooked up over the years with Mary picking on "reputation" and NOT form.

A player should be selected for the overall good of the team, and not to claim that player "X" is costing us this amount, as selecting him out of form could cost you more in long run, both on terms of on field success and losing other players as a result.

Better players than Ben Hunt have been dropped or benched.

Its up to him to secure his position and thus far Griffin has made it clear he will start at 7.
Thanks TruSaint I guess time will tell but I do think I’m right.

The other issue is that the longer Saints leave Cam unsigned we run the risk of another club pouching him. Manly are letting Levi go & I don’t think they have a replacement. Manly could easily swoop in with $600K offer which we wouldn’t be able to match.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
If Cam lacks spark it’s because he’s been making 50 tackles a (978 in 2020) game the past 2 years, since we lost JdB. If you remember the Melbourne game he ran a lot more because Sims covered Lock.
Maybe, I feel however that is what his ‘signature’ or ‘M O’ is as a player, as he doesn’t naturally have those other attacking attributes. I feel the side would be stronger if he diminished his defensive side somewhat, saved some spark and worked on his attacking contribution a bit more.

blacksafake

First Grade
Maybe, I feel however that is what his ‘signature’ or ‘M O’ is as a player, as he doesn’t naturally have those other attacking attributes. I feel the side would be stronger if he diminished his defensive side somewhat, saved some spark and worked on his attacking contribution a bit more.
Particularly his kicking game, which basically non existent.

FlameThrower

Bench
Not helped by our pack of lazy sods who did not give a stuff, and just have been going through the motions for the last few years. Our attitude on the field has been terrible, mentally weak and collapse like a house of cards when a few calls go against us. Recurring theme to then switch “back on” with 10 mins to go...by then it was too late.

Gareth67

First Grade
Not helped by our pack of lazy sods who did not give a stuff, and just have been going through the motions for the last few years. Our attitude on the field has been terrible, mentally weak and collapse like a house of cards when a few calls go against us. Recurring theme to then switch “back on” with 10 mins to go...by then it was too late.

BINGO !

blacksafake

First Grade
In the last few seasons @blacksafake , he barely kicked and barely darted out from d/h.
I put that down to the dismal game plan ( limited as it was ), where everyone knew any kick would be from Hunt or maybe Norman. Opposition teams knew it, oppo coaches planned for it.
You are :100: right there Tru.
I just hope his game has not bottomed out & he’s capable of further improvement in his game.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
In the last few seasons @blacksafake , he barely kicked and barely darted out from d/h.
I put that down to the dismal game plan ( limited as it was ), where everyone knew any kick would be from Hunt or maybe Norman. Opposition teams knew it, oppo coaches planned for it.

He used to have a very good running game, however, that was soon taken away by the 'powa' game from we all know who.

Maddragon99

Juniors

He used to have a very good running game, however, that was soon taken away by the 'powa' game from we all know who.
It’s ironic because Cam loved McGuber he’s was guttted when McGuber got punted. Remains to be seen if Cam fits into Hook’s long term plans.

TruSaint

Referee
It’s ironic because Cam loved McGuber he’s was guttted when McGuber got punted. Remains to be seen if Cam fits into Hook’s long term plans.

This is where a lot of fans misinterpret a player.

Have you ever heard of a standing Captain show disdain for their coach ? He may well have felt privileged to be Captain of Saints irrespective of the coach. The fact he showed emotion and gratitude to Mary is testament to his character.

I actually like the fact that even though he was being maligned by fans, Cam showed gratitude to the coach that gave him the honour of having the 'C" next to his name.

At the time this all became public, Mary had been sacked.

As to Hook. just look at all his commentary since being appointed.

Cam is quality on and off the field.

Maddragon99

Juniors
This is where a lot of fans misinterpret a player.

Have you ever heard of a standing Captain show disdain for their coach ? He may well have felt privileged to be Captain of Saints irrespective of the coach. The fact he showed emotion and gratitude to Mary is testament to his character.

I actually like the fact that even though he was being maligned by fans, Cam showed gratitude to the coach that gave him the honour of having the 'C" next to his name.

At the time this all became public, Mary had been sacked.

As to Hook. just look at all his commentary since being appointed.

Cam is quality on and off the field.
That’s the irony, McGuber did his best to destroy Cam’s game particularly by playing him at Lock. Despite this Cam put the team first & didn’t grumble. As you say he’s quality.

But unfortunately roster management is as much about business as it is about performance. Remains to be seen if he fits into Hook’s long term plans.

_Johnsy

Referee
Wonderful clubman, tough, wholehearted, but not sure I’d classify him in the elite though Maddragon99...just my view..
You could mount an argument his consistency at a very high standard makes him at least close to borderline elite.
Average 54 tackles per game, 95% tackle efficiency, averages 120 running m per game. The man is every inch a leader.

Gareth67

First Grade
You could mount an argument his consistency at a very high standard makes him at least close to borderline elite.
Average 54 tackles per game, 95% tackle efficiency, averages 120 running m per game. The man is every inch a leader.

They are certainly great stats Johnsy , the man has just about every asset needed fo a captain , but one - he needs to open his mouth more often on the field . Question the referee about dubious decisions and above all - get right up his teammates when required .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes, I see where your coming from and defensively I agree with you, but ‘elite’ for me would be to display a greater vision in attack. More running at different stages, improved kicking, greater dummy half variety, better passing game and keep the defence guessing more, etc.. I see him as a bit mechanical in this area. Love to bottle his guts and vaccine the whole side with his enthusiasm, but I couldn’t give him the ‘elite’ tag from what I've seen so far. Echoing what has been said by others in connection to Hooks game plan, that it may allow these skills to express themselves more in 2021. Hope they do!

Last edited:

Latest posts