What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim f**king Paine

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't rate Paine at all, but he's the least of our worries.

Wade, Warner, Harris, Lyon...these guys are all automatic selections, and they're all dreadful cricketers, tbh.

"But there are no better options available!"

ANYONE is a better option, tbh.

Reactions: JJ

T-Boon

Coach
Apart from the sandpaper cheating thing why is it accepted wisdom that Smith was a terrible captain? I'm no expert but I don't recall him being worse than Paine

Yep. He was a perfectly fine captain. He was a rare example of guy getting the C plus keeping his own standards up to 100% maybe even taking it up a notch.
Either Cummins or Smith would be perfect. They should be the 2 leaders and everyone else just focus on their own games.

This upcoming 3 test match tour of South Africa is Paine's last chance as test captain, and by the end of the tour, the selectors will have had more than enough time to figure out who they have penciled as Paine's successor.

As much as I'd like to see Paine dropped right now, based on the responses in the media on the subject of the test captaincy from ex-players, the uncertainty and confusion over who should succeed him as test captain is the only reason why Paine will still continue in the team for the South African tour.

If Australia fails to qualify for the World Test Championship final (which should be the first and most important priority between now and the final in June), Paine's captaincy role should be immediately stripped from him after the South African tour, and big changes need to be made in the overall squad before the Ashes next summer so we start the 2021-23 WTC cycle on a strong note.

From now until the end of the Shield season, selectors need to also focus on who they have in mind for the Ashes squad (assuming COVID bubbles/hubs still remain by end of year, meaning there will at least be an 18 man squad in the hub like there was for this recent test series vs India), and not wait until the last minute just before the first test match to see if a bolter will emerge in the 3-4 Sheffield Shield matches that are played before the Ashes (like they did this summer with Cameron Green).

This season's Sheffield Shield season will finish in mid-April. After the Shield final, selectors should have a list of 25 players who they realistically could see playing in the Ashes. Play three Australia vs Australia A 4/5 day matches around August-October (consisting of those 25 players), with the top 18 making the final Ashes squad in November.

We need to win the SA series 2-0 or better to qualify for the world test championship, very hard, even against the current SA team.

I don't rate Paine at all, but he's the least of our worries.

Wade, Warner, Harris, Lyon...these guys are all automatic selections, and they're all dreadful cricketers, tbh.

"But there are no better options available!"

ANYONE is a better option, tbh.

Harris isn’t an automatic selection, and Warner isn’t a dreadful cricketer. That’s nonsense.

Apart from the sandpaper cheating thing why is it accepted wisdom that Smith was a terrible captain? I'm no expert but I don't recall him being worse than Paine

His win record was 53%, okay but nothing amazing. You’d think he’d be better this time around, though.

T-Boon

Coach
I find it hard to believe Paine is the best keeper in the country. Neville was a better keeper than him 3 years ago, I admit I have not seen him play in 3 years but...

We need a keeping and spinning academy.

mozza91

Coach
He wasn’t. He was better. Although Paine has set the bar very low.

There’s no reason why Smith shouldn’t be given the captaincy. Reads the game much better than Paine, is better tactically and would be less frivolous with DRS decisions.

He is dreadful away from home or on anything other than a road. I would take a Lamborghini off road before I took Warner.

Outside of South Africa, he is poor away from home. But the next 8 tests are in South Africa and at home, I’d push for him to retire after the ashes next year. After that we tour India and then in 2023 go to England for the ashes, I wouldn’t take him on those tours.

Reactions: JJ

Eelementary

Post Whore
Harris isn’t an automatic selection, and Warner isn’t a dreadful cricketer. That’s nonsense.

Harris walked right into the side, as soon as Pucovski was unavailable.

Warner has scarcely done much outside of Australia, and his record when the pressure is really on is dismal.

I stand by my comments.

Harris walked right into the side, as soon as Pucovski was unavailable.

Warner has scarcely done much outside of Australia, and his record when the pressure is really on is dismal.

I stand by my comments.

I thought you meant he’s an automatic first team selection, he’ll clearly be out of the XI once Pucovski is back.

Warner I agree has been poor away from home, other than SA. But I still wouldn’t put him in with those names overall.

Wade should be dropped, as should Starc.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't get Chappell and Taylor backing Paine due to there being no alternative. Of course there is, Smith and Cummins - that is a lot of alternatives.
Also what is the deal with Taylor saying Cummins has too much on his plate...but then backing Paine who has a lot more on his plate?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I thought you meant he’s an automatic first team selection, he’ll clearly be out of the XI once Pucovski is back.

Warner I agree has been poor away from home, other than SA. But I still wouldn’t put him in with those names overall.

Wade should be dropped, as should Starc.

Agreed.

JJ

Immortal
Smith was a mediocre at best captain and obviously a terrible leader

I don’t know whether Cummins can do it, but if they move on from Paine it looks like he an Head are the only options, and while he’s better than Wade, Head is dubious as a test bat

JJ

Immortal
Yeah but his sledging is that of a 17 year old.

It really rattles opponents.
Tbh if sledging rattles test cricketers they aren’t test cricketers

Sledging is more for the ego of the twat doing it... Paine.’s chat is more in the banter category, and backfired, which is funny tbh...