What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Mcinnes

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Being captain is is light years away from just yelling and screaming on the football field at players and Refs.
The captain is also the focal point of the clubs values off the field. They are the Clubs representative at functions etc. They must speak well and have 'some' intelligence and knowledge, hence why Widdop was captain. Yes, on-field performance is always key as lead by example and I think McInnes does this exceptionally well. Again yes, he has some 'flaws' in his game that need to be addressed, but I'm confident Hook and Co have this on their minds (this applies to all our squad).
I'm confident of McInnes as captain, and I'm also confident our next captain is being groomed.

Sims, may be an aggressive type player, but that alone doesn't create a captaincy button. Vaughany would also fall into this catagory. However, every good captain requires some good vice-captains (the lieutenants), this is where Sims and Vaughan fit into the scheme of things.

As I have stated many times, we are in new territory, we have a real coaching crew who will take us on a completely different road to what we have known (players included). Let's not judge baaed on our recent past, let's look to what our new future brings.
Agree with your point about the yelling a screaming bullshit. I have to admit though that I believe that Simms communicates much more effectively off field when interviewed than McInness. So much so, that if he could end his career with a good finish he might have a future in the media.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
100% spot on mate.

I’d definitely stick with McInnes for a 2yr extension as Capitano. I’d like to see our new coaches tweak his running game and voice on the field (think Hornby screaming at players and refs) and Soward work on a short kicking game.
He’s not only currently our best option as Hooker and Capt but a bloody good one at that imo.

Agree our new Capt is currently being groomed and Lomax will make a great one on current trajectory. He’s already in the senior playing group at his age (21yo) just imo.

People forget that our last premiership winning Captain was ben Hornby, whom was elevated from co-Captain to Captain by Bennett in 2009.

He was never in your face with refs. As time passed on he developed a very passionate leadership role, often witnessed between the sticks when the opposition had scored.

Thats where he got the message through.

A worker, a leader, flexible to play anywhere, tough as nails, played long minutes, and a title winning Captain.

They said he couldn't play 7, and many suggested he wasn't a Captain because he wasn't "agro / in your face/ forever talking to refs" enough.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
People forget that our last premiership winning Captain was ben Hornby, whom was elevated from co-Captain to Captain by Bennett in 2009.

He was never in your face with refs. As time passed on he developed a very passionate leadership role, often witnessed between the sticks when the opposition had scored.

Thats where he got the message through.

A worker, a leader, flexible to play anywhere, tough as nails, played long minutes, and a title winning Captain.

They said he couldn't play 7, and many suggested he wasn't a Captain because he wasn't "agro / in your face/ forever talking to refs" enough.
and was a great on field transferee or conduit of the message that Bennett was wanting to the team to embody.

BLM01

First Grade
  1. McInnes fully concentrates on his own game.
  2. From dummy half, he often sends the ball the wrong way.
  3. He often gives away silly penalties in the ruck.
  4. With McInnes as Captain, we have finished very poorly over the last two years.
  5. His defence is very solid but when Hunt is at dummy half, he provides more go forward and better variety kicking in general play.
  6. The main problem has been, the team has not followed McInnes's lead in defence or line speed.
  7. The most notable thing for me is, McInnes does not stick up for his team when poor referee decisions are made and rarely challenges players who do dumb things on the field.
Ok now I will butt in
1. so he should as instructed by the coach whoever that is depends on quality
2. How about the halves call it where they want it to go.. it is their job BTW
if it is the wrong way we’ll whose fault is that
3. Because he does most of the work snd tackles.. guilty by numbers
4. And that is his fault because?.. start first with the coach, player confusion, game plans and individuals then look at the skipper once you have exhausted all that
5. True Hunt is s a better kicker and has good vision and also a natural running 7 which our current and previous coach has spruiked!! but only one if the coaches would be able to formulate game plans to get the best out iof his running game at club level and that coach and others did it before 5-7 yrs ago. I’ll let you decide which Dragon coaches that was.
6. Hello coaching staff... any response to that
7. Is that so! I beg to differ and these days doing it in public to individuals does not go down to well when behind closed doors. Look what happened to Brownie and his slapathon

So how does any of your points make Cam the reason for poor captaincy and leadership at our club. Yeh Cam Smith would be a better captain or JT or Cordner probably but look what they were surrounded with and supported by.
Who is the Titans captain again?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
what kind of game will he play this year;)
I suppose that will all depend on whether McInnes will really see out 2021. I have my fingers crossed that Griffin will do a deal with the Sharks to gain the services of their young unwanted lock. If that happens I see McInnes departing before round 1.

If Griffin can't do a deal with the Sharks, then we have to wait for the outcome of the De Belin legal decision. If De Belin becomes available you can be sure that Griffin will bring him back carefully off the bench. This means we will have both Bird and De Belin on the bench until they are fully fit to be in the run-on 17.

So there is no doubt in my mind that if Griffin can't sign McCullough and/or Brendon Smith, that McInnes will play hooker in 2021. He will play in a style more centred on sending the ball to the correct side of the ruck and with crisp more accurate passes. He will have to do less tackling because his fellow forwards will do their fair share.

If in the second half of the season we have both Bird and De Belin in our run on side (and McInnes at hooker), I believe we would have every chance of making the top 4. So by the beginning of the second half of the season, I expect to see the following 17:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax (vc)
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims (c)
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. Alvaro - prop
15. Faamausili - prop
16. Lawrie - prop/lock
17. Ford - edge forward

So, I expect Norman to fail and be dropped to CC. I expect all of our young backs to excell and show the fans the Griffin style of football, a style we have been longing for since 2010. I expect Blacker and Ellis will continue to put pressure on our props. Aside from injury, I expect the remainder of our team to be settled and performing well in defence and attack.

The addition of Sullivan, Bird and De Belin to our 17 will make our team very competitive and elevating the Dragons into the top 4.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I suppose that will all depend on whether McInnes will really see out 2021. I have my fingers crossed that Griffin will do a deal with the Sharks to gain the services of their young unwanted lock. If that happens I see McInnes departing before round 1.

If Griffin can't do a deal with the Sharks, then we have to wait for the outcome of the De Belin legal decision. If De Belin becomes available you can be sure that Griffin will bring him back carefully off the bench. This means we will have both Bird and De Belin on the bench until they are fully fit to be in the run-on 17.

So there is no doubt in my mind that if Griffin can't sign McCullough and/or Brendon Smith, that McInnes will play hooker in 2021. He will play in a style more centred on sending the ball to the correct side of the ruck and with crisp more accurate passes. He will have to do less tackling because his fellow forwards will do their fair share.

If in the second half of the season we have both Bird and De Belin in our run on side (and McInnes at hooker), I believe we would have every chance of making the top 4. So by the beginning of the second half of the season, I expect to see the following 17:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax (vc)
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims (c)
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. Alvaro - prop
15. Faamausili - prop
16. Lawrie - prop/lock
17. Ford - edge forward

So, I expect Norman to fail and be dropped to CC. I expect all of our young backs to excell and show the fans the Griffin style of football, a style we have been longing for since 2010. I expect Blacker and Ellis will continue to put pressure on our props. Aside from injury, I expect the remainder of our team to be settled and performing well in defence and attack.

The addition of Sullivan, Bird and De Belin to our 17 will make our team very competitive and elevating the Dragons into the top 4.
I like your positivity Possm!

Tiger Shark

Bench

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax (vc)
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims (c)
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. Alvaro - prop
15. Faamausili - prop
16. Lawrie - prop/lock
17. Ford - edge forward

hahaha Top 4

That team isn't getting close to the Panthers, Souths, Storm, Roosters and Raiders.

You can have Magoulias though. He's playing this Friday in the trial if you want to get a look at him. I expect he'll really put in. Not sure if it's being televised ?

Dragonsdiehard

Juniors
I’m not a regular poster so forgive this if it out of turn or off topic but whatever the circumstances, letting McInnes go - let alone to the shire - is bloody madness. Upwards of 50 tackles a game, game in game out, current captain, club player of the year two years running, SOO rep....
thorough bred workhorses like that don’t come along too often. What has a player got to do to earn some loyalty from the club he literally bleeds for every weekend...
Honestly, how some knuckleheads get jobs at clubs only to stuff up monumentally like this does my head in.

getsmarty

Immortal
I’m not a regular poster so forgive this if it out of turn or off topic but whatever the circumstances, letting McInnes go - let alone to the shire - is bloody madness. Upwards of 50 tackles a game, game in game out, current captain, club player of the year two years running, SOO rep....
thorough bred workhorses like that don’t come along too often. What has a player got to do to earn some loyalty from the club he literally bleeds for every weekend...
Honestly, how some knuckleheads get jobs at clubs only to stuff up monumentally like this does my head in.

More to it....

it will all make sense down the track.....

Dragon David

First Grade
I think that there is much more to this "madness" and we won't know what has been happening behind the scenes for sometime yet. I'm sure that there is more to the story particularly since reports have been that McInnes wasn't even offered a contract to continue playing for us.

We as fans follow the club week in week out and we know who are bludging and who are putting in. We know that McInnes has always put in and became Mary's favourite and once Mary was "sacked", Cam might have decided then that he would leave no matter whether or not a contract by the Dragons was offered. I don't even think that he sought any counter offer from the Dragons. The management surely could see that Cam was a player needed to be front and centre as the mainstay for us but maybe it was clear that Cam didn't want to stay.

This is my opinion only as it coincided with the events leading up to Mary's final game. At this stage Cam nor anyone else knew who was going to be our coach. Cam probably thought, "that's it I'm leaving and will look for offers elsewhere" and we now know what club has his services from 2022.

It is a pity that he is now out for the season as it would have been very interesting to see what would have panned out once we "got" McCullough. Would he have gone to Cronulla earlier or remained with us and actually played lock with McCullough at hooker? We won't know now.

Latest posts