What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Mcinnes

Hi Silverdale,

I think the "40 year" quote is a typo...if you listen to the interview , Griffin never states this...more likely they meant to say "He set himself up for the next 4 years."

Sharks paid overs for a player who they are going to play @ lock ( untried over time in this position )....It really is as simple as that.

That in itself is a gamble...add to that, the cap has gone down and they will eventually need to shed a few players...A.M will be on .less than half of what Cameron got and this will buy us time to bring through the next crop of young players.

There is even more to this...let me put it this way, we were never going to retain him...

We need to move on..

Good times ahead...as SMZ quoted..." Watch this space..." ;-).

Enjoy your Weekend.

I see.

Thanks for posting it, thought provoking, enjoy your weekend too.

A simple example: 600k p/a over four years used to buy additional investment property, yielding an average 5% return. This could serve as a steady income supplement during life after football. 'Remember he still gets to keep hold of his investment of 2.4m + capital gains. It is also possible that rents will rise as well.

I was taking into account that he might have got $500k from you guys hence he’d only be on say an extra $100k with the Sharks. He could still invest.

He didn’t get the length of contract he asked for but he is so strong a talent, barring injury, Cam in two years hence would still be marquee and almost certain to be re-signed and command a good salary. You might say that’s a bit too risky and recent tragic events would support that proposition.

I enjoyed your insight though, thanks.

I suppose my main point was what I see as the longer term social costs arising from his decision.
I see the greats of the game are usually ( although not always) associated with one club. Something unique and wondrous about these folk, in my view.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I was taking into account that he might have got $500k from you guys hence he’d only be on say an extra $100k with the Sharks. He could still invest.

He didn’t get the length of contract he asked for but he is so strong a talent, barring injury, Cam in two years hence would still be marquee and almost certain to be re-signed and command a good salary. You might say that’s a bit too risky and recent tragic events would support that proposition.

I enjoyed your insight though, thanks.
In the past I have praised Cam's defensive work but criticised his work from dummy half. As a lock I believe he is not big enough to stand the bash and barge of the big blokes in the middle. So, I imagine that Griffin felt the same. He went for a good game manager at dummy half In McCullough and wanted Cam at lock, but not on a long term deal mainly because of his size.

In the past I have praised Cam's defensive work but criticised his work from dummy half. As a lock I believe he is not big enough to stand the bash and barge of the big blokes in the middle. So, I imagine that Griffin felt the same. He went for a good game manager at dummy half In McCullough and wanted Cam at lock, but not on a long term deal mainly because of his size.

Technical reasons for his surrender by the club I tend to agree theres some truth in what you say.

But I myself can’t shed too much light on his game other than the mainstream view being the best defender in the game. Someone suggested to me that this adversely impacted on other players around him. I don’t know whether they became too reliant. Controversial comment.

I look at your roster and it’s really not that bad.