What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Bulldogs [THE MATT BURTON CUP]- Bankwest Stadium 3pm Sat

Nonsense is a strong word and in my view, wrong. The fact that some people don't need to do it (drop back to NSW cup), doesn't mean it's not generally correct.

It's a medical fact that males don't reach their physical peak until 25, so for a start a youngster is likely to be physically weaker pound per pound. They also won't have had the benefit of as many off-seasons to build strength and muscle mass as the older players. Of course, some people are so physically strong it doesn't matter they aren't at their peak and their ability to cope will be about mental fatigue, not physical fatigue.

I think it would be fair to say the coaches at the Panthers have managed this quite well. The concept has been applied on a case by case basis and some players have moved up and got long stretches in first grade because they have coped and others have been moved back down and given a rest. The outcome is there for all to see. A GF in 2020 and in 2021, 11 local juniors as starting first graders, 3 local juniors on the bench and a 28 nil shutout in round 2. You don't get that by following the old Panthers way of chucking in players like Sjeika and hoping they crack the big time. Some swim, but far too many sink.

Nonsense? Nah, smart management that has helped set the Panther's apart from the likes of the Dogs and Manly et al. It's just a shame its taken 40 years for the penny to drop.

A normal 18-20 y.o doesn’t have access to advanced training techniques, weight rooms, diets etc that a football team can provide. The average age of our team last year and this has been very young, some of our best performers are also the youngest guys. They aren’t spending years playing NSW cup, at most it’s a half a season or so.

I’m not saying it’s never applicable to send someone back to NSW cup until they’re ready, I’m saying it shouldn’t be a general rule to do so.

Pomoz

Bench
People are focused on Staines build, but have you seen him been tossed around? He holds his ground continually. He’s very strong for his size.
Fast players are explosive and you can't be fast without power. I notice he uses his legs to drive into the contact and he does it down low. That is stopping the tackler driving him back and picking him up.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fast players are explosive and you can't be fast without power. I notice he uses his legs to drive into the contact and he does it down low. That is stopping the tackler driving him back and picking him up.

I think with Charlie Staines he is literally three and a bit games into his NRL career. His start was breath taking but it is not all doubles or more every game. The coaching staff see him each and every day so at the end of the day you have to expect they know what he is capable of delivering. He hasn’t really had to many opportunities in attack in our two games to date but that is just the way the games have panned out. We’re not really going to find out whether he is something special for some time, maybe a sample size of 40-50 NRL games may may give us a better indication. He ain’t gonna get a dry track this Thursday night so again I’m probably not expecting too much although it would be nice if we actually create something for him against the Storm, he can’t create something out nothing.

panther.mike

Juniors
I think Staines needs to put on a couple of kilos and get some mongrel in him and he would be awesome.............and Critta needs to be more involved. IMO

Kilkenny

Coach
The guy played 2 games all of last year

No pre season trials. No Round 1 game
Has all of 10 NSW Cup games... no reason he HAS to play FG

Your 100% correct albeit his only serious competition for his spot is Brent Naden.

I’m just not sure Robert Jennings is a better option than Naden. I wish he was, I’m just not sure he is.

As BX Tom points out, and yourself too, there isn’t really much need to change a winning side.

Charlie will surely get try scoring opportunities in the games ahead so perhaps his fortunes will change and he can build some confidence off the back of a try or two.

Kilkenny

Coach
I know nothing about Super Coach, if that is what it is called, but I was just looking at our player stats on Foxsports and despite running for 200 plus metres accross over 20 plus hit ups To’o earns 50 SC points barely enough points to be considered our fourth or fifth best player on field. I understand scoring tries obviously earns points but seriously Brian was outstanding last night and despite not scoring was my MOM.

WestyLife

First Grade
I know nothing about Super Coach, if that is what it is called, but I was just looking at our player stats on Foxsports and despite running for 200 plus metres accross over 20 plus hit ups To’o earns 50 SC points barely enough points to be considered our fourth or fifth best player on field. I understand scoring tries obviously earns points but seriously Brian was outstanding last night and despite not scoring was my MOM.

My first year playing but learning quick it's a terrible indication of player quality.

franklin2323

Immortal
Your 100% correct albeit his only serious competition for his spot is Brent Naden.

I’m just not sure Robert Jennings is a better option than Naden. I wish he was, I’m just not sure he is.

As BX Tom points out, and yourself too, there isn’t really much need to change a winning side.

Charlie will surely get try scoring opportunities in the games ahead so perhaps his fortunes will change and he can build some confidence off the back of a try or two.

NSW Cup have a bye this week. Meaning Naden still has one more week to go on suspension. So Naden won't be available for a few more weeks so gives the same size a few more weeks

franklin2323

Immortal
My first year playing but learning quick it's a terrible indication of player quality.

Yeah aside from fullbacks the points don't reflect the players skill. Like only longer runs are counted. It doesn't count Post contact metres just length. Also should count passes.

panthersam

Juniors

Supercoach points definitely don’t always align with the level of footballer a player is lol

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Regarding Staines, I get the feeling the IC is easing him into first grade. I know our right side has new faces and doesn't have the comradery of our left side attack but we make next to no attacks down our right side. Even one set play from the Bulldogs game was to use some of the left side players to attack down the right side.
The only work Staines seems to get is kick returns and the odd hit up from deep in our own territory.
Were is the early ball to him in our own 20 to get around a compressed defensive line are la Sharks game last year.
Where are the deep kicks to his side to keep the opposition near there own line like NSW do with the Fox.
Is the club worried about his hamstring or are they not confident in his ability?
Either way you can guarantee the Storm/Fox will be testing him come Thursday night.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Regarding Staines, I get the feeling the IC is easing him into first grade. I know our right side has new faces and doesn't have the comradery of our left side attack but we make next to no attacks down our right side. Even one set play from the Bulldogs game was to use some of the left side players to attack down the right side.
The only work Staines seems to get is kick returns and the odd hit up from deep in our own territory.
Were is the early ball to him in our own 20 to get around a compressed defensive line are la Sharks game last year.
Where are the deep kicks to his side to keep the opposition near there own line like NSW do with the Fox.
Is the club worried about his hamstring or are they not confident in his ability?
Either way you can guarantee the Storm/Fox will be testing him come Thursday night.

The Bulldogs game in that weather was a complete write off and didn't tell us anything