What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Perth Red

Post Whore
How exactly is a second brisbane team worth $50mill a year to the nrl? Are they really suggesting that the extra 50k or so viewers in brisbane it brings to fta once a week, when they are on, is going to be worth $50mill extra a year on the fta deal?

MugaB

Coach
How exactly is a second brisbane team worth $50mill a year to the nrl? Are they really suggesting that the extra 50k or so viewers in brisbane it brings to fta once a week, when they are on, is going to be worth $50mill extra a year on the fta deal?
Advertising, inhouse Channel Promotions, more use of suncorp/derbies at larger capacity every week (not just fortnightly) all dependant if that team is doing well, inaugural new club merchandise

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Advertising, inhouse Channel Promotions, more use of suncorp/derbies at larger capacity every week (not just fortnightly) all dependant if that team is doing well, inaugural new club merchandise

it will probabaly do well enough to beat the Broncos on current form

actually, the Ipswich Jests would beat them

Perth Red

Post Whore

how will that generate revenue for the nrl? Club and tv maybe but won’t bring any money to the nrl. $50mill a year is a sht load of money with no extra content to sell.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Guess we'll have find out? Have a bit of faith PR, maybe wa gets a real chance at making itself as the 18-20th licence

I think we’ve got a good chance despite abdos comments. In reality if Brisbane2 come in for 2023 it’s unlikely we’ll see an 18th side until 2027-2028 when next tv deal rolls around. Hopefully vlandys will be gone by then and the game in WA won’t have died from lack of hope.

T-Boon

Coach

I think they will sell a lot of merch even in NSW. The Broncos are so hated in NSW that a second Bris team will become a lot of peoples second team. I would be a T-shirt to support them.

Starkers

Bench
So it would seem the NRL has a proper Pacific strategy now. Another team in NZ, assuming Wellington, would really focus the comp in East Coast Australia/NZ/Islands.

This is smart from a player sense. Picking up another 30 players from NZ and the Islands won't be hard. Twice as much NRL being played in NZ is a good thing for that market. 4m people there let's not forget. And beginning to chip away at union in the country brings a tear to my eye.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Perth and Adelaide. Both cities deserve clubs and would do well IMO given the parochial nature of those cities. The negative is AFL will continue to get free reign in those areas and push their energy into the very market the NRL is attempting to cover itself.

We can only hope the NRL take it upon themselves to begin to foster the game more at the grassroots in those places. If talk of conferences is genuine, both of those places are well suited to that sort of placement within the NRL given timezones.

mongoose

Coach
is there any demand in NZ for a 2nd team?
from my trips to Wellington they don't seem too passionate about sports... even Rugby.

Christchurch seems like a better bet, but it's not exactly a large city. Perth would be at least 3/4 times its size. You are not increasing your potential TV viewers by a lot.

MugaB

Coach
from my trips to Wellington they don't seem too passionate about sports... even Rugby.

Christchurch seems like a better bet, but it's not exactly a large city. Perth would be at least 3/4 times its size. You are not increasing your potential TV viewers by a lot.
It would have to be Auckland, division of Mount smart stadium and a game every weekend, not fortnightly, creating a inner city derby of warriors vs NZ2, also each team can travel for a few home games to Christchurch, Wellington, Hamilton etc, its the same strategy as brisbane 2 out of suncorp

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

perth 2.2 million, Christchurch 400k. Of course it makes sense to the nrl lol.

magpie_man

Juniors

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've been waiting for this for years.... finally we are getting some solid talk about a direction the game is going to take moving forward. Ok, I would have Perth in the queue before NZ2 personally, but I am over-the-moon that we are just getting some leadership and direction on this issue and I'm right behind it.

The NRL have spoken about strengthening the heartlands and having expansion stack up financially and it is great to see the talk of Brisbane 2 and NZ2 which aligns with what appears to be.... do I dare say... a cohesive strategy?

For all the talk of AFL being a 'National Sport' if we can solidify QLD, NSW (NSW & QLD are 50% of the Aus population), the nations capital, a good foothold in Melbourne, a good foothold in NZ and the # 1 game in the Pacific, that is a very good spread of our own.