What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Vs Manly

Smug Panther

First Grade
It's going to be interesting to see the side defend without Edwards directing them around. Can't see it being much of an issue this week though

betcats

Referee
Cleary back and Luai defending on his usual side will help a bit. I actually think Critta has been very good defensively at centre so Burton will have to be good there but he should be fine.

Girds89

Bench
I'd love to see how much work Edwards gets through in a game in terms of meters covered.

They had the player tracker in origin. I remember in 2019 nath was averaging i think 96m a minute which was the highest for both teams by some margin.

Equates to 7680m covered in 80mins. That's not a lot but when the majority is high speed efforts, tackling etc it's a lot of work.

Just from watching Dylan at the back I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting 100m+ a minute on a regular basis, especially with the new rule changes this year.

I reckon based on the stats of centres from the 2019 origin (average was around the 82m/min) I reckon so far this year critta would be in the 75m/min range max.

Its a big ask for critta to find an extra 25 odd meters a minute to make up for the loss of Edwards. Adds up to 2km of high intensity outputs.

Hopefully critta gets the chance to show what he's got. No doubt he has got the skills. Fb is all about the effort plays to in defence too, especially off the ball.

I think manly will come put firing tonight. Dce always aims up against Nathan. Doesn't want to lose the aus #7

WestyLife

First Grade
I'd love to see how much work Edwards gets through in a game in terms of meters covered.

They had the player tracker in origin. I remember in 2019 nath was averaging i think 96m a minute which was the highest for both teams by some margin.

Equates to 7680m covered in 80mins. That's not a lot but when the majority is high speed efforts, tackling etc it's a lot of work.

Just from watching Dylan at the back I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting 100m+ a minute on a regular basis, especially with the new rule changes this year.

I reckon based on the stats of centres from the 2019 origin (average was around the 82m/min) I reckon so far this year critta would be in the 75m/min range max.

Its a big ask for critta to find an extra 25 odd meters a minute to make up for the loss of Edwards. Adds up to 2km of high intensity outputs.

Hopefully critta gets the chance to show what he's got. No doubt he has got the skills. Fb is all about the effort plays to in defence too, especially off the ball.

I think manly will come put firing tonight. Dce always aims up against Nathan. Doesn't want to lose the aus #7

DCE will definitely be the big one. Was almost best on ground last year when we beat them by 40. He knows Cleary is coming for his rep jersey so will have to be at his best. Other than him they're plodders though and even Jurbo has fallen off a cliff.

betcats

Referee
If they picked the team right now then its Nath no question. To me its about the forwards, DCE can have the game of his life and they still wont get close if our forwards aim up.

maple_69

Bench
Grabbing the Aus spot could be really useful for Nath. I see Munster being an ideal pairing for his game. He’ll be able to do his thing without the pressure to pull a rabbit out of the hat and hopefully that can help his confidence in controlling the biggest games.

For NSW surely the only options are Luai/Wighton now? Walker obviously doesn’t have the confidence of the selectors and is a very short term option. Again I think both Wighton and Luai are much better matches for Nath.

WestyLife

First Grade
Grabbing the Aus spot could be really useful for Nath. I see Munster being an ideal pairing for his game. He’ll be able to do his thing without the pressure to pull a rabbit out of the hat and hopefully that can help his confidence in controlling the biggest games.

For NSW surely the only options are Luai/Wighton now? Walker obviously doesn’t have the confidence of the selectors and is a very short term option. Again I think both Wighton and Luai are much better matches for Nath.

It kills me watching them pick Walker. He constantly goes missing when things get tough both in club and rep games.

betcats

Referee
Freddy should be under serious pressure after the choke job he led last year, all of the players as well. But Freddy was clearly out coached.

MugaB

Coach
It kills me watching them pick Walker. He constantly goes missing when things get tough both in club and rep games.
No way in club games, walker is exceptional when Reynolds is off, last year vs Dragons was proof of that

WestyLife

First Grade
No way in club games, walker is exceptional when Reynolds is off, last year vs Dragons was proof of that

He's a bigger flat track bully than Mitch Moses. He has some good games and talent but good luck getting it to be consistent and in tough games.

MugaB

Coach
He's a bigger flat track bully than Mitch Moses. He has some good games and talent but good luck getting it to be consistent and in tough games.
Well im a fan of his, but not in place of Luai for origin, consistency as a 5/8th is hard to come by btw, luai is probably the most consistent at the moment, but thats coz he is behind a great pack

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary back and Luai defending on his usual side will help a bit. I actually think Critta has been very good defensively at centre so Burton will have to be good there but he should be fine.

No issue with Burton. It is Critta being in position that is the concern. Atleast Burton or May can go back there if needed

Fangs

Coach
Reynolds does his job well. I find Souths position a bit strange.

They might be eyeing off Burton honestly. He won't stay at the Dogs for long. If it isn't him then its another boom half on the up.

franklin2323

Immortal
Reynolds does his job well. I find Souths position a bit strange.

They might be eyeing off Burton honestly. He won't stay at the Dogs for long. If it isn't him then its another boom half on the up.

If Souths can get Burgess medically retired than will have no issue with Reynolds should he get terrible

betcats

Referee
The GOAT giving us a good talking up today:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...ouch-can-mesmerise-manly-20210331-p57fkr.html

after what I saw last Thursday night, the clear NRL premiership favourites are the Penrith Panthers.

Their 12-10 win over Melbourne and the way they held up Storm centre Justin Olam on the final play shows how hard they work off the ball for one another.

It’s not just stopping tries but in every minute, every play of the game. They get to flex their muscle again in Thursday Night Football against Manly at Lottoland.

How Penrith can win

The Panthers have the band back together on the left-side with halfback Nathan Cleary returning from concussion.

I understand left centre Stephen Crichton goes back to fullback in the absence of the injured Dylan Edwards.

But Cleary’s return means five-eighth Jarome Luai and devastating back-rower Viliame Kikau can link again. That’s where the magic happens for Penrith.

For me, there’s a question mark over Crichton’s positional play at the back but he will probably prove me wrong.

What Penrith do best is back themselves to stay in the arm wrestle for the whole match.

They have high completions, few errors and give away few penalties.

You don’t always see it on TV but when you’re at the ground, looking down at the field, you notice how much they work for each other inside and outside the ball.

When the opposition kicks down field, you can see their forwards trying to get behind the ball as quickly as possible.

When they get it right, the Panthers are almost impossible to beat — unless you are at your very best.

Can Manly do that?

How Manly can win
Everything you do on the field is connected. Against the Dragons last week, the Sea Eagles made more clean breaks, ran for more metres, but were still beaten by 26 points because silly errors meant they couldn’t ice their scoring opportunities.

They’re completing their sets at 66 per cent at the moment. When that’s happening, it puts so much pressure on your defence because of the fatigue from the extra workload.

The way teams like Manly attack means there’s extra reliance on their fullback.

It’s stating the obvious, but the absence of Tommy Trbojevic is costing them about 20 points per game. That’s how influential he is.

Dylan Walker is doing his best but he’s struggling to find the combinations in attack with halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran.

They also have very little attack out of dummy half.

’im not having a shot at Lachlan Croker, because he’s playing out of position and the extra workload caused by his side’s silly errors means he doesn’t have any petrol in the tank to create.

But, with the quicker ruck this season, it’s essential to engineer more out of dummy half.

If Manly are to win, Cherry-Evans must kick his side to victory.

With their attack struggling, he needs to roll the dice and try to score a few tries from kicks whenever Crichton is out of position.

Manly need to be as unpredictable as possible because structured set plays against a defensive line as hard-working as Penrith’s won’t cut it.

They have two great ball-players in the forwards.

Marty Taupau has that late left-arm offload, which borders on compulsive, while Jake Trbojevic has the vision and skill of a halfback.

Walker can’t get himself in the right situations with his halves so they need to use these two guys more and play unstructured footy.

Player to watch

I’ll admit it: I never saw Isaah Yeo coming.

I figured he’d be a solid centre who doesn’t miss tackles, doesn’t make errors, but the decision to move him into the forward pack has been a masterstroke.

He gets better and better each season. He plays 80 minutes, does all the tough stuff in the middle and cleans up the defensive errors of others.

When I talk about doing work off the ball, this is the bloke who does so much of it. His efforts aren’t for himself – they’re for his teammates.

And his ball-playing and pass selection is improving with every game.

Didnt copy the last bit as its some playbook shit and it wont make sense without the visuals

WestyLife

First Grade
The GOAT giving us a good talking up today:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...ouch-can-mesmerise-manly-20210331-p57fkr.html

after what I saw last Thursday night, the clear NRL premiership favourites are the Penrith Panthers.

Their 12-10 win over Melbourne and the way they held up Storm centre Justin Olam on the final play shows how hard they work off the ball for one another.

It’s not just stopping tries but in every minute, every play of the game. They get to flex their muscle again in Thursday Night Football against Manly at Lottoland.

How Penrith can win

The Panthers have the band back together on the left-side with halfback Nathan Cleary returning from concussion.

I understand left centre Stephen Crichton goes back to fullback in the absence of the injured Dylan Edwards.

But Cleary’s return means five-eighth Jarome Luai and devastating back-rower Viliame Kikau can link again. That’s where the magic happens for Penrith.

For me, there’s a question mark over Crichton’s positional play at the back but he will probably prove me wrong.

What Penrith do best is back themselves to stay in the arm wrestle for the whole match.

They have high completions, few errors and give away few penalties.

You don’t always see it on TV but when you’re at the ground, looking down at the field, you notice how much they work for each other inside and outside the ball.

When the opposition kicks down field, you can see their forwards trying to get behind the ball as quickly as possible.

When they get it right, the Panthers are almost impossible to beat — unless you are at your very best.

Can Manly do that?

How Manly can win
Everything you do on the field is connected. Against the Dragons last week, the Sea Eagles made more clean breaks, ran for more metres, but were still beaten by 26 points because silly errors meant they couldn’t ice their scoring opportunities.

They’re completing their sets at 66 per cent at the moment. When that’s happening, it puts so much pressure on your defence because of the fatigue from the extra workload.

The way teams like Manly attack means there’s extra reliance on their fullback.

It’s stating the obvious, but the absence of Tommy Trbojevic is costing them about 20 points per game. That’s how influential he is.

Dylan Walker is doing his best but he’s struggling to find the combinations in attack with halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran.

They also have very little attack out of dummy half.

’im not having a shot at Lachlan Croker, because he’s playing out of position and the extra workload caused by his side’s silly errors means he doesn’t have any petrol in the tank to create.

But, with the quicker ruck this season, it’s essential to engineer more out of dummy half.

If Manly are to win, Cherry-Evans must kick his side to victory.

With their attack struggling, he needs to roll the dice and try to score a few tries from kicks whenever Crichton is out of position.

Manly need to be as unpredictable as possible because structured set plays against a defensive line as hard-working as Penrith’s won’t cut it.

They have two great ball-players in the forwards.

Marty Taupau has that late left-arm offload, which borders on compulsive, while Jake Trbojevic has the vision and skill of a halfback.

Walker can’t get himself in the right situations with his halves so they need to use these two guys more and play unstructured footy.

Player to watch

I’ll admit it: I never saw Isaah Yeo coming.

I figured he’d be a solid centre who doesn’t miss tackles, doesn’t make errors, but the decision to move him into the forward pack has been a masterstroke.

He gets better and better each season. He plays 80 minutes, does all the tough stuff in the middle and cleans up the defensive errors of others.

When I talk about doing work off the ball, this is the bloke who does so much of it. His efforts aren’t for himself – they’re for his teammates.

And his ball-playing and pass selection is improving with every game.

Didnt copy the last bit as its some playbook shit and it wont make sense without the visuals
giphy.gif

Latest posts