What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Burns

jak

Bench
there is a lot of talk in the pathers forum that this is just a loan deal for this year only.

possm

Coach
there is a lot of talk in the pathers forum that this is just a loan deal for this year only.
You may be correct but it does not make a lot of sense to me given that Blacker is off contract at the end of this season and he is not yet first grade ready. For the Saints, Burns seems to be the type of signing that Griffin likes so, unless he is aiming for a player like Creighton for 2022 on, I can't see the value of the loan to either club.

betcats

Referee
Billy Burns is a really good player, the whole handling issues thing is overstated IMO. It’s just symptomatic of a youngster when he gets an NRL opportunity just trying to hard to impress. Long term/short term has much more upside than Tyrell Fuimaono and off the bench better than Trent Merrin whose days are numbered. Great pick up for you guys. (I rate Merrin his first season with us he was brilliant, great player, great person to have around a club but I would expect Billy to take his bench spot, younger, fitter, faster and has some really good attributes).

And he has been a try scorer at every level. NYC, NSW cup(our leading tryscorer in 2019) and in his 12 NRL games he has 4 tries which doesn't seem a lot but he is a back rower who has played games here and there off the bench since late 2019 so it is good.

Bayside Dragon

Juniors
You may be correct but it does not make a lot of sense to me given that Blacker is off contract at the end of this season and he is not yet first grade ready. For the Saints, Burns seems to be the type of signing that Griffin likes so, unless he is aiming for a player like Creighton for 2022 on, I can't see the value of the loan to either club.
Good signing for mine. Hook knows we wont make it through a season with just our current forwards rotation. I don't think he wants to run out players that are half busted or fatigued like Mary loved to do.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Billy played centre in round 4 for the Panthers NSW side. And was not named in NRL or NSW cup in round 5. No mention of an injury, so I assume this rumour is on the up and up.

denis preston

First Grade
I'll throw up a theory for you. These suspected signings are all players either near the veteran class or at least ready to go straight into NRL. Perhaps the board still holds on to putting mates back into these coaching jobs by giving Hook certain targets ( such as top 8 or higher this year top 4 2022 ) or they will not renew his contract. So Hook to get this contract renewal is looking for anyone he can get readymade for NRL. I'm not necessarily against coaches KPI's, in fact applaud it but it irks me that the imposter before was able to float along through his contacts at Board level

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
there will be no doubt a few players shown the exit or entry door right now while winning

Seems like a smart addition Burns that is if Vaughan is staying on and Blacker will struggle to a wanted future pro at the Dragons.........the current speed of the game makes it tough for Blacker as his cardio and speed off the mark is not at high levels yet

Gareth67

First Grade
there will be no doubt a few players shown the exit or entry door right now while winning

Seems like a smart addition Burns that is if Vaughan is staying on and Blacker will struggle to a wanted future pro at the Dragons.........the current speed of the game makes it tough for Blacker as his cardio and speed off the mark is not at high levels yet

May be the case , however perhaps that is the very thought that Griffin wants implanted in their mind , perform in each game and you shall be safe - at least for now .

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_5705.jpg

SIGNINGS

Breaking
Dragons sign Burns in Blacker swap
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 7 Apr 2021, 04:00 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of Penrith Panthers back-rower Billy Burns until at least the end of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The Parkes Spacemen junior's signature follows the Dragons release of front-rower Eddie Blacker from the remainder of his contract. Blacker will replace Burns at the foot of the mountains.

The 22-year-old Burns has played 12 first grade games to date, and will join Andrew McCullough, Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird and Poasa Faamausili as 2021 Dragons recruits.

"Billy has cut his teeth in the NRL at Penrith and his signing will allow for greater balance with regards to our squad depth," Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said.

"Eddie's release will provide him with a great opportunity to press his claims in the Panthers' system.

"It's also important to note that we remain active in the player market for an experienced middle."

Blacker joined St George Illawarra from the Broncos in 2019 and played one NRL game.

The Dragons would like to thank Eddie for his contribution at the Red V and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/07/dragons-sign-burns-in-blacker-swap/

Illusion

Bench
The Dragons would like to thank Eddie for his contribution at the Red V and wish him all the best in his future endeavours ....... So is this a swap then come back ..... It sounds like a goodbye to me ..... ?

Latest posts