What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

thebigredv

First Grade
And 2 points at the end with the penalty after he charged up to catch the bomb and dropped it. He is a huge liability with any kick. Not sure where hook goes from here.

I compare him to Bevan French who was dynamic and diminutive but got found out and, in a good eels team, evaporated off into ESL. Although duff has lasted a little longer, I think hook will make the right call and personally I doubt he will be with us next year.

There will be better options out there. Remember contracts are not worth much these days. Even an old Brett Morris out the back would probably bare more fruit.

rasaint

Juniors
By all means continue the get rid of Dufty commentary after we were narrowly beaten today ( goal kicking ). Everyone has an opinion. Fair enough.

What I question is that why other players in our team on almost twice Dufty’s money ( I’m told Dufty on $320k ) and get a free pass.

The gifted one on reported $500k for next 6 years odd is a standard nrl centre who occasionally makes a tip top catch try or 1 out of 2 of his flicky passes stick. He missed important difficult conversions today whilst Nikorema banged them over. I do not think a team with Zac Lomax at centre can win a comp. He doesn’t worry anyone in attack. Today he was standard Zac tackling hard, doing his best and being unremarkable. Dufty

Dufty imo grounded the controversial try kick after an awkward late flat bounce. He dropped a late jumping catch as the Warriors guy simply looked up in the air for appearances and cannoned into him. He got a hospital inside pass from Cory and Rava gave him a pushed pass when the Warriors winger was waiting to smash him. Otherwise a Dufty produced a fabulous backline injection, held up and then threw a bullet onto Rava to give him a channel for a power try. Express speed for his 43rd NRL try to chase down the Clune kick.

Dufty isn’t a superstar but without him we are toast.

gitano

Juniors
Cody to 1, JP onto the wing for roosters.

Just can't afford your fullback leaking points most weeks

The calm one

Juniors
The
By all means continue the get rid of Dufty commentary after we were narrowly beaten today ( goal kicking ). Everyone has an opinion. Fair enough.

What I question is that why other players in our team on almost twice Dufty’s money ( I’m told Dufty on $320k ) and get a free pass.

The gifted one on reported $500k for next 6 years odd is a standard nrl centre who occasionally makes a tip top catch try or 1 out of 2 of his flicky passes stick. He missed important difficult conversions today whilst Nikorema banged them over. I do not think a team with Zac Lomax at centre can win a comp. He doesn’t worry anyone in attack. Today he was standard Zac tackling hard, doing his best and being unremarkable. Dufty

Dufty imo grounded the controversial try kick after an awkward late flat bounce. He dropped a late jumping catch as the Warriors guy simply looked up in the air for appearances and cannoned into him. He got a hospital inside pass from Cory and Rava gave him a pushed pass when the Warriors winger was waiting to smash him. Otherwise a Dufty produced a fabulous backline injection, held up and then threw a bullet onto Rava to give him a channel for a power try. Express speed for his 43rd NRL try to chase down the Clune kick.

The Gifted One has gone to another level under Hook especially in defence. Dufty hasn't.

mickeylane

Bench
I did say a few days ago Dufty was irreplaceable but like everyone you get blinded by his attacking capabilities but then brought back to earth w his amateurish defensive capabilities- I mean it’s a chasm between the 2. Hook is no fool - he’s hatching a plan currently for a No. 1 - the uncertainty in his mind of who will come in is only prolonging Duftys tenure in the position - instead of taking advantage of the prolong ness Dufty keeps justifying the doubt the coach has in his abilities by making the same f**king error 3 times in 6 games (fail to clean up at the back ) and it’s cost us this time ... I’m not sure who will be in the No. 1 come round 10 but it won’t be Dufty..

mickeylane

Bench

I disagree without him we are a different team - maybe not as dynamic in attack but at least a lot safer at the back .... I would take a Mick Potter style FB over a Matt Dufty style FB every day of the week..

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I disagree without him we are a different team - maybe not as dynamic in attack but at least a lot safer at the back .... I would take a Mick Potter style FB over a Matt Dufty style FB every day of the week..
Most of the time i’d agree with you, but until the side develops more advanced attacking options and advanced game plan to compliment what has been now laid down, i just can’t see how you could leave him out. It’s a paradox that’s for sure and as stated in a previous post i’ll be surprised if were not still debating it come round 26.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal

Absolute nonsense re: Lomax
'yeah he's not that good. Sure, he scores brilliant tries off bombs, and sets up his winger with flick passes.... But outside of that he's not that good. And he's a bad goal kicker. He only has a 88.5% kick rate!'

You're happy to give credit for Dufty setting up Rav, but not to Lomax doing the same thing

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I've been in the camp that we need to move on from Dufty because his development had stopped. However, I've watched his game this year under Hook and Co, and I can see improvements from last year.

1. He is looking to catch every bomb, yes he has missed/not reached some this year but his intention is to get to the ball and catch it.
2. His positional play is getting better. He is starting to move inline with the ball earlier and hence does not get caught out with a last minute sprint to try and stop a break.
3. He has positioned himself more often behind the forwards in-case we make a break or second phase play.
4. When he catches the ball of a kick, he is running back to the defence line and the skip and prop has largely gone.
5. He looks to have lost the fear of tackling opposition forwards that break through.

Let's give the caches sometime, I think he is a big improvement over last year. The thing that many people are judging his performance this year is his failure to knock the ball over the dead ball line. Some of this has been dreadful, yet the one yesterday, I have seen similar efforts ruled no try.

True_Believer

Juniors
I've been in the camp that we need to move on from Dufty because his development had stopped. However, I've watched his game this year under Hook and Co, and I can see improvements from last year.

1. He is looking to catch every bomb, yes he has missed/not reached some this year but his intention is to get to the ball and catch it.
2. His positional play is getting better. He is starting to move inline with the ball earlier and hence does not get caught out with a last minute sprint to try and stop a break.
3. He has positioned himself more often behind the forwards in-case we make a break or second phase play.
4. When he catches the ball of a kick, he is running back to the defence line and the skip and prop has largely gone.
5. He looks to have lost the fear of tackling opposition forwards that break through.

Let's give the caches sometime, I think he is a big improvement over last year. The thing that many people are judging his performance this year is his failure to knock the ball over the dead ball line. Some of this has been dreadful, yet the one yesterday, I have seen similar efforts ruled no try.

Great post. This is the same thing I am seeing. He's changing the way he plays and although not quite there has made some huge steps in the right direction. It will take time to get right. Unfortunately he's had poor coaching for a majority of his career so it's going to be a while before he can completely wipe those bad habits.

So long as he continues to take those steps, I believe he will be difficult to drop as without him, our ability to score tries is greatly reduced.

And I agree, the touch in goal yesterday was a 50/50 call. I've seen tries given with less downward pressure than that.

st.phil

Bench
physicality has improved out of sight - no better option for 2021 but you have to wonder if he is long term #1 if the errors and flustered brain fades persist

blacksafake

First Grade

Good post
I’m still of the opinion that the chaser was in front of the kicker in that try. Every replay is looking at Duftys grounding but not the offside.

possm

Coach
Right now there is a compromise:
  • Dufty to 17 - comes onto the field in the last 10min of each half to score tries.
  • Ramsey to 1 - Let us see how he performs. High ball, return from his own 20, defence.
  • Max Feagai to 2 - is the next in line and can move to centre when Bird shifts to 6 (it won't be long).

Latest posts