What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News JDB Trial

Was Brett Stewart charged? Also I seem to recall a player being charged and found guilty but being allowed to play (in a grand final win no less) because the sentencing was deferred till after the season, though this may have been because that team was short on outside backs.

Brett Stewart was suspended for 4 games for being intoxicated at the season launch. He came back and played 2 games before suffering a long term injury (I think for the rest of the season). In 2010 he played a few games due to another long term injury and during that offseason he was found not guilty.

How long is a piece of string. The longer it goes the more likely it is a hung jury.

But seriously ...

Yes the quicker means all jurors are on the same page...

The longer means jurors differ in opinion and/or undecided. And while not always the way, the bigger the differentiator between jurors thinking guilty / not guilty in the first instance (eg 10 to 2)... usually takes a much shorter time than an evenly-split jury (eg 6 to 6)...

That doesn’t answer the question completely on how long deliberations usually take in a cass like this.... but yes, it could take anything from less than an hour to weeks...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
How unanimous does it need to be?

Eg everyone in agreement or 9-1, 8-2 etc?

Like if it's 8 guilty 2 not guilty does that mean it's a guilty verdict?

snickers007

Juniors
How unanimous does it need to be?

Eg everyone in agreement or 9-1, 8-2 etc?

Like if it's 8 guilty 2 not guilty does that mean it's a guilty verdict?

The definition of "unanimous" is "fully in agreement".

All jurors need to be on the same page for either a guilty or not guilty verdict. Otherwise it's a hung jury (again).

myrrh ken

First Grade
I wonder if the Hayne decision will embolden the jury to make a decision.

They can think about it until next week apparently

_Johnsy

Referee
Only our club would offer an extension with this matter some way off resolution (when the extension was offered). Peak McGregor. I understand that many will disagree (& that's cool), but my club shouldn't have offered him any type contract until this matter is fully resolved. We have to be better than that. This has just been one massive f**k up, a continual ugly stain on the game & my club.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Only our club would offer an extension with this matter some way off resolution (when the extension was offered). Peak McGregor. I understand that many will disagree (& that's cool), but my club shouldn't have offered him any type contract until this matter is fully resolved. We have to be better than that. This has just been one massive f**k up, a continual ugly stain on the game & my club.
Rumoured to have a contract in front of Hayne for 2025.