What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Jamberoo

Juniors
I’d have Sundays 2pm, 4pm and 6pm. No graveyard there.
eventually the game will go to full streaming and we won’t feel the need for every game live, that will make going to ten games a weekend easier and mean more games in fan friendly attendance spots.
How do you mean ‘you won’t feel the need for live games’? Are you suggesting people will watch games on delay? Live is essential. Betting revenue is growing much faster than broadcast revenue. Also it will be 10+ years before streaming revenue tops network revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With kayo you can have 4 live games at once on the screen. with 7’s olympics on smart tv you can have numerous events on at once, on catch up etc was great. Not many watch every game live these days, having 2 or 3 games playing at same time will be the future. Other sports are already there.

tri_colours

Juniors
With kayo you can have 4 live games at once on the screen. with 7’s olympics on smart tv you can have numerous events on at once, on catch up etc was great. Not many watch every game live these days, having 2 or 3 games playing at same time will be the future. Other sports are already there.
wouldn't it divide your ratings ?

Jim Rockford

Bench
Unfortunately poor old Perth Red never fully thinks through his moronic ideas. His assertion that not many watch every game live these days is also laughably false. He really should just stick to fantasizing about his West Coast ButtPirates and leave talk about the game itself to those who fully understand all aspects of it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
For subscription services it doesn t matter if you’ve got 500k subscribers watching three games at once or three in a row, you’ve still got 500k subscribers. For fta where you are reliant on advertisers then yes ratings matter. If we ver go to ten games then 3 on fta and 7 on streaming doesn’t mean all 7 streaming games have to be stand alone. I note afl often have more than one game on at a time so obviously can be done here and elsewhere a lot of sports will have more than one game playing at the same time.

siv

First Grade
The current system works something like this, if I am viewing it correctly.

16 clubs. Each club has 15 opponents and play 24 games, with 12 at home.

A club plays 9 other clubs twice over 18 rounds, and the other 6 once.

With 17 clubs in the competition, they will have to change the schedule.

17 clubs means each team has 16 opponents. If they stick with each club plays 9 others twice and the rest once then that equates to 25 games.

Maybe add a neutral venue round into a 25 game season where all 8 games are played in the country?

That would create a 12 home + 12 away + 1 neutral to give us a 25 game season for each team.

Maybe scrap Magic Round?

No need for it with 2 teams in Brisbane.

I prefer for teams to play home & away over 2 seasons at a minimum

Pippen94

First Grade
For subscription services it doesn t matter if you’ve got 500k subscribers watching three games at once or three in a row, you’ve still got 500k subscribers. For fta where you are reliant on advertisers then yes ratings matter. If we ver go to ten games then 3 on fta and 7 on streaming doesn’t mean all 7 streaming games have to be stand alone. I note afl often have more than one game on at a time so obviously can be done here and elsewhere a lot of sports will have more than one game playing at the same time.

Advertisers are important to fox as well

Jamberoo

Juniors
Wrong. Overlapping games will decrease revenue significantly. Fox has plenty of ads. Fewer will subscribe to streaming services if they can’t watch all the games live. No sporting body wants fewer people watching games. The trend in Australia is actually going the other way. AFlL and. RL are adding time slots, not consolidating them. The reason for this are twofold - they want more people watching, and they want to encourage live betting, which (unfortunately) is growing rapidly.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Wrong. Overlapping games will decrease revenue significantly. Fox has plenty of ads. Fewer will subscribe to streaming services if they can’t watch all the games live. No sporting body wants fewer people watching games. The trend in Australia is actually going the other way. AFlL and. RL are adding time slots, not consolidating them. The reason for this are twofold - they want more people watching, and they want to encourage live betting, which (unfortunately) is growing rapidly.
And the lucrative gambling industry is exactly where news corp are headed. They just happen to be in partnership with the nrl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If yo
If you’re a gambling addict you can have 4 games on the screen at once with streaming. This is what happens in US with college football where gambling is insane on it.
most fans dont watch every game, they watch their club then ones of Interest . There is no need for every game live and stand alone, it just means sht ko times that stop clubs earning decent revenue from fan attendance.

Jim Rockford

Bench
most fans dont watch every game, they watch their club then ones of Interest
Wrong! Maybe fairweather losers like you don't but I sure as hell do. As does just about everybody I know who are true Rugby League fans. Also, you do know Australians spend more per person on gambling than Americans.

Jamberoo

Juniors
If yo

If you’re a gambling addict you can have 4 games on the screen at once with streaming. This is what happens in US with college football where gambling is insane on it.
most fans dont watch every game, they watch their club then ones of Interest . There is no need for every game live and stand alone, it just means sht ko times that stop clubs earning decent revenue from fan attendance.
Those paying the bills (media companies) want stand alone games. More eyeballs = more advertising revenue. The average person does not have multiple screens running. Advertisers want to reach the average person who is watching on their massive TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Those paying the bills (media companies) want stand alone games. More eyeballs = more advertising revenue. The average person does not have multiple screens running. Advertisers want to reach the average person who is watching on their massive TV.
I doubt the handful of ads fox shows at HT if watched by 100k fewer people,will make a significant difference to their sports revenue. It’s the same ads every game anyway. Like I said it’s very common in other sports around the world.

Generalzod

Immortal
I still don’t understand why Perth was not given opportunity to set up a new team, what’s the point of expansion, what about creating a team in Darwin…

flippikat

Bench
I doubt the handful of ads fox shows at HT if watched by 100k fewer people,will make a significant difference to their sports revenue. It’s the same ads every game anyway. Like I said it’s very common in other sports around the world.
Typical Fox ad break:

*embarrassing situation*
"Did Someone say KFC?"
*Loud music with shots of people eating chicken*
"I DON'T CARE - I LOVE IT!"
---
*Mark Wahlberg doing crazy stuff*
"Let's Ladbrokes it!!"
*More crazy stuff*
"Let's Ladbrokes the WORLD!!"
(remember folks - gamble responsibly)
---
*Polar bear arm knocks stuff off the table*
"You don't need any of this..."
*Plonks a Bundys on the table*
"There!"
(Oh and drink responsibly too)

Pippen94

First Grade

Might be the dumbest thing you've written here & think of the ground that covers.
Big part of revenue would be advertising. The bigger the peak audience the better.

tri_colours

Juniors
There would be plenty of people like myself who take a few Multi's each week, If I couldn't watch each leg my betting would drop off and so too the motza the NRL gets from betting sponsorship.

I think the easily enough spots for 10 games each week.