What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023

Players don’t fear other players anymore.

They stand there under the posts in a huddle and feign concern and interest while someone yells at them. All part of the show.

When a try is scored against them, their focus is the next play. No point worrying about the try just scored against us. Move on asap.

At any rate, most of the time, the impugned try is not the fault of the whole f**king side. Most of the players don’t deserve the lashing or carry on.

It’s often the result of a couple of players who screwed up something in defence, good attack and even luck.

When our footy captain carried on at school, we just half listened and forgot about it in all of 3 seconds. He was usually calling us useless k a r …. s.

Which wasn’t too far off the mark I guess.

He said it in a friendly way if that makes sense. A good bloke. Years later, school reunions, everyone gets on like a house on fire.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench

Yep...I know what you're getting at ...when it was a train Tues and Thurs night working g guys game a warrior type captain would pull them over the line but now they just need to do their job as the fulltime NRL professionals they're paid to be. Keep in mind that Panthers made the first of their recent 3 grand finals with James Tamou as captain and that's not meant with any disrespect to him. If I were coaching i'd want my captain to be quietly in the refs ear when needed...thus in the middle and to be respected as a grown man and leader by his teammates but just as importantly by the referees...Cameron Smith... Boyd Cordner.as examples.
LOL at the teacher story .....I can't recall who my rival club adversary was and what it was about but i do remember he was getting really hostile and tried a checkmate I.Q. move by telling me he passed 4 unit English / maths ? ( I think it was) with a coupe de grace thrust to the heart of " so how did you do ??" I told him I TAUGHT 5 unit English but you remember maths so maths it was then... I don't recall hearing from him again so i guess he may have believed me LOL again. Anyway...no.. certainly not a teacher ...ex or current but thank you for thinking I may have been....I'm flattered :)

Just fixed half a dozen typos...sorry for the hyrogliphics of the first effort

That’s ok mate. Just my impression of how you write… ie not all the time like us maniacs but u usually hit the spot and you are the last person I want to argue with..

I know, Tamau go figure..
That’s right 5 unit Maths..Excellent
Anyway that’ll make the captaincy pick more interesting now ..I’m going Pap’s but it won’t be AD after his $900k irrational sulk … Joe will prob get the nod now. All through my posts today I was actually thinking about Chad Townsend the Cowboys captain/co captain and how he operates.. What a buy he was for them.

Last edited:
@Iamback was talking about the cows focus on depth recently, something I wasn’t familiar with but makes sense.

On the injury front, we are poised to start the season with the entire roster ready, willing and able for selection.

We are probably in the minority of sides to have this benefit.

This nofo swap business has me intrigued. I’d prefer to keep him unless it’s a half.

Interesting
Shocker from Tim, supporting last years admin and Brooksy. More support for Benji.

He’s just recycling Board and Justin nonsense.

Im getting less confident about the season ahead.

I had us at 9th, after that interview, 10th maybe 11th. It was truly awful. Do we vet these things?

Some of our good players won’t trial. Thank God for that.

No one knows what’s happening with Bateman. Tim tried to nail something positive about it but it’s still a clusterf**k. Yet he feels sorry for admin..

Wants Brooksy to run ffs… we’ve all known that for years. He’s probably been asked a million times to run. I know it’s hard and very dangerous. Ben Hunt overcame his fear for running, Brooksy should reach out and talk to him.

Us Brooks critics also came in for a serve, Tim said we were bullying. No, we are simply trying to encourage him to walk out on us like he tried to do three times last year! That’s not bullying when we want what he wants.

If he fails Tim, it’s on you mate for letting Hastings go, not his critics.

Tim gave himself 5 or 6 self praising moments. Boring and pointless. Has learnt nothing since the gf.

Thanks @Tigerm. All you spin believers ffs don’t watch this interview. It will break your heart.

Lambkin was much much better. The only one in the club coaching circle with half a brain it seems. If you haven’t watched it, just suck in Lambsy’s short educational essay and be done with it.

Hopefully the players fight all this indoctrination and psychobabble and play footy!

Have a f**king go lads. We know you don’t believe in this club bullshit either! That’s our only hope!

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Complains about criticism of him, but then states:

”As far as I’m concerned, I’m not putting any pressure on him.

“Just to play good football in the team, like anyone. Do your job we’ve asked, take your chances, maybe get a bit greedier Brooksy.

“He could run a bit more. But in saying that, he’s training well.”

Which I’m pretty sure, is what everyone else is saying?

Complains about criticism of him, but then states:

”As far as I’m concerned, I’m not putting any pressure on him.

“Just to play good football in the team, like anyone. Do your job we’ve asked, take your chances, maybe get a bit greedier Brooksy.

“He could run a bit more. But in saying that, he’s training well.”

Which I’m pretty sure, is what everyone else is saying?
A number of Tims utterances contained contradictions and were often incongruous.

He did remark or suggest that we may see some talent in the second trial.

Hopefully that is nonsense, we can’t afford to lose anyone, for any period of time for a game with of no consequence.

These are seasoned league players, they don’t really need trials.

Real-time comp footy is the best “trial”, genuine match conditions with all the pressure and footy finesse unfolding…plus actual points are on offer.

Brooks running, that’s only a part of what we need from him. Important sure, but he needs improvement everywhere and he needs to be consistent. And he starts from round 1.

He usually takes 4 or 5 rounds to warm up.

I think he needs his own full time sports psychologist and he should pay for it.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Tigers coach Tim Sheens has tipped young gun Jahream Bula to challenge for the No.1 jersey in a three-way battle with incumbent Daine Laurie and star recruit Charlie Staines.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Sheens believes Bula can leapfrog Laurie, who has also been training in the halves and Staines, who is also being considered as a winger at some stage during the 2023 season.

“Jahream Bula will be a kid who comes out of nowhere,” Sheens told The Herald.

Big wrap, no pressure.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens has tipped young gun Jahream Bula to challenge for the No.1 jersey in a three-way battle with incumbent Daine Laurie and star recruit Charlie Staines.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Sheens believes Bula can leapfrog Laurie, who has also been training in the halves and Staines, who is also being considered as a winger at some stage during the 2023 season.

“Jahream Bula will be a kid who comes out of nowhere,” Sheens told The Herald.

Big wrap, no pressure.
Laurie training in the halves was confirmed.

I can’t remember who it was, but at least one of us picked it last year. Well done.

If Tim and Dave can get the forwards into a decent defensive groove, other sides won’t be too anxious to take us up the middle and will need to spread the ball or kick to progress fairly.

If they can manage that, whoever we have at fullback should find life a bit easier.

At half, Dane will need a lot of ball playing, kicking and handling skills, but if we have the forwards, hopefully we see more offloads, inside passes and angles. We have Api now who can do it all. I think he could manage half easily if we needed him there. He’s just a natural. I hope that’s his second training position.

Well tuned forwards are a gift that keeps on giving. I think they offer more than the odd freaky marquee back. Moreover, they compress the distances the backs need to cover in attack which probably helps the slower and less freaky backs, of which we have a good selection.

So I’m anxious that our backs conduct their defence to a good standard.

I hope Doogie has used Burto as a pre season role model. Both big powerful lads.

Also, I hope we can get the speed up across all areas. Speed is threat. Tim says he wants us to take opportunities, eyes up footy and I agree. But you get that with speed.

We need to do almost everything faster than we have over the last few years. I don’t think it’s easy to create or sustain but it will help heaps.

I’m not sure what we are doing for fitness. Last year Tim was interested in ball in hand, but I hope the exercise bikes in the white elephant need to be replaced regularly.

The boys don’t actually like being exposed to the elements too much.

Last edited:

Tigers star reveals captaincy dream, latest on future and why he’s ‘one of the worst losers’​

We could do a lot worse.

If we make him captain, he might stay for less than his 900k he thinks he’s worth.

He sounds a bit boring though.

Alex might might be a good choice. Good player and not too arrogant. A bit of a meathead thing happening, but that’s inspiring in a way.

But we all know its going to be golden boy.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
We could do a lot worse.

If we make him captain, he might stay for less than his 900k he thinks he’s worth.

He sounds a bit boring though.

Alex might might be a good choice. Good player and not too arrogant. A bit of a meathead thing happening, but that’s inspiring in a way.

But we all know its going to be golden boy.
Whoever it will be, he needs to be a communicator.
I think that cuts TWAL out?

WA Tiger

Bench

Das Hassler

Bench
What a big mouth AD has on him ..can he not control his gob..Unless he’s already got the job? Unlikely
Paps

No to AD as a candidate for captain...it's one thing to see yourself as a leader but it doesn't mean he understands what a leader is...first and foremost words matter..... he says the main goal for '23 is to "win some games"....well as much as it's a stock reply for the media it's just not good enough...Melbourne...perhaps as the best example have always gone out derermined to win EVERY game no matter how many stars are out and how many reserve graders are in...the main goal of the captain has to be to lead to win every single game...to lose one is to fail and to take that failure seriously! If he can't project that uncompromising attitude himself then he'll never inspire the other 16 to have it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brooks does run the ball. Every year from 2017 to 2022 he's averaged at least 74 metres per game.

In total, 11,130 run metres from 123 games at 90.49 metres per game

Nathan Cleary has 10,924 metres from 122 games at 89.54 metres per game

The problem isn't his running game. Never has been.

The problem is his inability to call plays, so when he does run, he's doing it too frequently and too often on his own.

He needs option runners around him, like Cleary does, to make his runs more threatening.