What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

the phantom menace

First Grade
Came here to ask if anyone else has watched that Nemesis series yet, with 90min episodes on the Abbott government, the Turnbull government, and (to come) the Morrison government.

Told through interviews with the actual Libs and Nats themselves - including Turnbull and Scomo, and a host of others. No commentary or others outside of the Coalition involved - it's a hilarious display of infighting and reminder of how inept those nine LNP years were!

Gronk

Staff member
Came here to ask if anyone else has watched that Nemesis series yet, with 90min episodes on the Abbott government, the Turnbull government, and (to come) the Morrison government.

Told through interviews with the actual Libs and Nats themselves - including Turnbull and Scomo, and a host of others. No commentary or others outside of the Coalition involved - it's a hilarious display of infighting and reminder of how inept those nine LNP years were!

I will binge it on iview when it has dropped. The problem I have with series like this is that they are filmed quite recently after the events and factions are current and feelings are still very raw.

For that reason I don’t think that you are getting full participation and 100% honesty. I reckon that the only people who do participate are those who have an axe to grind or wish to consolidate their faction’s position by denigrating the other. So it’s good soap opera viewing, but is it the truth ?

JokerEel

Coach

It would have been great to see Abbott see out his 4 years as PM imagine the budgy pics we would have gotten if he was there for 2 terms..

I guess the Libs just picked up the shit show after Rudd's run at PM 😂

the phantom menace

First Grade
I will binge it on iview when it has dropped. The problem I have with series like this is that they are filmed quite recently after the events and factions are current and feelings are still very raw.

For that reason I don’t think that you are getting full participation and 100% honesty. I reckon that the only people who do participate are those who have an axe to grind or wish to consolidate their faction’s position by denigrating the other. So it’s good soap opera viewing, but is it the truth ?
Well, the Abbott and Turnbull years were some time ago now... but yes.

In terms of is it truth, there are multiple instances where people are contradicting each other - so, pretty much someone is lying about something all the time (politicians after all) 😂.

the phantom menace

First Grade
It would have been great to see Abbott see out his 4 years as PM imagine the budgy pics we would have gotten if he was there for 2 terms..

I guess the Libs just picked up the shit show after Rudd's run at PM 😂
Watching the first episode it reminded me they pretty much did exactly the same thing they'd successfully criticised Labor for in the previous Rudd-Gillard-Rudd years 😂.

the phantom menace

First Grade
BTW who wastes their time watching a show on Abbott/Scomo/or the Dude that looks like his wife...
Well my wife had the remote... and it beats all the shit stand-up comedy routines she usually watches!

Who looks like whose wife though? There's some pretty rough headed pollies on the show...

Gronk

Staff member
^^ I read the MT biography once. His dad was a pub broker and his mum was a hippy / looney who went to the USA to find herself. His dad raised him and scraped together school fees to send him to Sydney Grammar. He did law at uni but was too busy to study. Had shit to do. So he paid merkins to do his assignments. He never or rarely went to lectures. When it was time to do his written exams he'd just pass them with credits or distinctions.

He didn't really want to become a lawyer, but did anyway. Before he knew it was involved in one of the biggest scandal stories back then when he represented publishers in the SPYCATCHER court case vs British government.

Turnbull's legal defense focused on arguing that the info in the book was already in the public domain, as portions of it had been published in Australia and other countries. He also argued for freedom of the press and the public's right to know. The case eventually reached the European Court of Human Rights. At the time, everyone was like - who is this guy ?

Being a lawyer didn't last long. He became a merchant banker and cut deals and solved problems. That made him very rich.

His Dad was a liberal and he grew up the same, it's just that the libs in this country lurched severely to the right and he became isolated. Very smart man, white-anted by the fossil fuel bankrolled dinosaurs.

No, he shouldn't have become a labor man because he was blue ribbon Point Piper liberal. Your loss. Twits.