What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

redV06

Juniors
e9ab8afa-63ff-4e0e-aaaa-474e787032ff.gif
3a9c6f56-c715-4126-bb30-3d3d4efb8889.jpg
The St George Illawarra Dragons are thrilled to announce the acquisition of Luciano Leilua, who joins the team on a three-year deal, effective immediately.

Luciano, 27, returns to the Dragons, where he began his rugby league journey, playing for Hurstville United in his junior years and making his NRL debut with the Dragons in 2016. With 123 NRL appearances and 26 tries under his belt, as well as three Test caps for Samoa, Leilua brings a wealth of experience to the team.

Head Coach Shane Flanagan expressed his enthusiasm about the signing, stating, “We're delighted to bring Luciano back to the Dragons, where he started his career. As a powerful and skillful edge forward, he will make our roster stronger as we head into the season.”

In addition to Leilua's arrival, the Dragons are pleased to announce the contract extension of Corey Allan, securing his services until the end of the 2025 season.

Despite sustaining an injury that will sideline him for the current season, Corey's commitment to the club has been unwavering.

Flanagan commended Allan's dedication, saying, “Corey impressed us with his work ethic from day one. While it's unfortunate he won't be on the field this year due to his knee injury, his positive attitude and commitment to rehabilitation have convinced us to extend his contract. We look forward to his return to the field in 2025.”

To accommodate Luciano Leilua's inclusion in the top 30, Allan will exit the current top 30 list, following the mutual agreement to extend Corey’s contract for the 2025 season.

The Dragons eagerly anticipate the contributions of both Luciano Leilua and Corey Allan to the team's success in the upcoming seasons.

Crush

Coach
e9ab8afa-63ff-4e0e-aaaa-474e787032ff.gif

3a9c6f56-c715-4126-bb30-3d3d4efb8889.jpg
The St George Illawarra Dragons are thrilled to announce the acquisition of Luciano Leilua, who joins the team on a three-year deal, effective immediately.

Luciano, 27, returns to the Dragons, where he began his rugby league journey, playing for Hurstville United in his junior years and making his NRL debut with the Dragons in 2016. With 123 NRL appearances and 26 tries under his belt, as well as three Test caps for Samoa, Leilua brings a wealth of experience to the team.

Head Coach Shane Flanagan expressed his enthusiasm about the signing, stating, “We're delighted to bring Luciano back to the Dragons, where he started his career. As a powerful and skillful edge forward, he will make our roster stronger as we head into the season.”

In addition to Leilua's arrival, the Dragons are pleased to announce the contract extension of Corey Allan, securing his services until the end of the 2025 season.

Despite sustaining an injury that will sideline him for the current season, Corey's commitment to the club has been unwavering.

Flanagan commended Allan's dedication, saying, “Corey impressed us with his work ethic from day one. While it's unfortunate he won't be on the field this year due to his knee injury, his positive attitude and commitment to rehabilitation have convinced us to extend his contract. We look forward to his return to the field in 2025.”

To accommodate Luciano Leilua's inclusion in the top 30, Allan will exit the current top 30 list, following the mutual agreement to extend Corey’s contract for the 2025 season.

The Dragons eagerly anticipate the contributions of both Luciano Leilua and Corey Allan to the team's success in the upcoming seasons.

WIN WIN

justadragon

Bench
What he has invested in the club in terms of money is pittance and his love of the club appears to be non existent and leaving all of the month to month meetings to his son and daughter to attend means he can stay in Bermuda lapping it all up. The Dragons, who are they??
In all seriousness, has anybody ever seen this guy at a Dragons game, like ever !!!

TheRev

First Grade
Another local kid that got away. Callum Gromek.
Quick as lightning and boy we need speed. 3 line breaks, 3 line break assists and 2 tries. Starred for the Roosters yesterday.
He was a really promising one (I know a bloke who used to go to all the jr games raved about him), I was surprised he left cause I thought Sloan was no sure thing.. and there were 3 international fullbacks in front of him at the roosters... but we did have Stewart at the time also.

TheRev

First Grade
to be fair though (re: gromek).. we had Sloan and Stewart.. Sloan in particular we went all in on.. we still are.

I know its unpopular (and both players still have their fans here), but I thought Dufty and Sloan should have been punted within their first year playing NRL.. some players deserve time, but if you dont love that physicality it can never be fixed/polished out.. and its maybe 6 years of 1st grade we burnt with these 2 costing us game after game.

But anyway I feel better with Flanno, I dont think he will be having the really difficult conversations and if needed take the actions that seemingly Hook and Mary didnt seem willing or able to do... to Sloans credit he atleast has addressed some of the areas that would have been discussed every week in video reviews.. Dufty seemed to have fingers in his ears for his entire career.

qld redvee

Juniors
to be fair though (re: gromek).. we had Sloan and Stewart.. Sloan in particular we went all in on.. we still are.

I know its unpopular (and both players still have their fans here), but I thought Dufty and Sloan should have been punted within their first year playing NRL.. some players deserve time, but if you dont love that physicality it can never be fixed/polished out.. and its maybe 6 years of 1st grade we burnt with these 2 costing us game after game.

But anyway I feel better with Flanno, I dont think he will be having the really difficult conversations and if needed take the actions that seemingly Hook and Mary didnt seem willing or able to do... to Sloans credit he atleast has addressed some of the areas that would have been discussed every week in video reviews.. Dufty seemed to have fingers in his ears for his entire career.
I reckon once flanno gets the pathway system started we should be able to keep these kids as a true succession plan should be in place

Belta

Juniors
He was a really promising one (I know a bloke who used to go to all the jr games raved about him), I was surprised he left cause I thought Sloan was no sure thing.. and there were 3 international fullbacks in front of him at the roosters... but we did have Stewart at the time also.

I just watched that game, the commentators also gave Gromek a massive wrap.

Really heavily involved, set up the first try by a deft pass to an unmarked winger, created another try not long after, had the composure to hold up a pass, drawing the defence before delivering a pass to centre which drew in the winger for another, Continued being involved scoring 2 others by backing up.

It wasn’t the tries or try assists that stood out for me or the massive wraps by the commentators, what caught my attention was midway through the first half he gives a pass and ends up over near the sideline, he is then seen sprinting 50m vertically across the field to catch a no look pass before finding the opposite winger unmarked who subsequently scores, from then on I watched and several tries were scored by the roosters and Gromek was right there in case,

I the commentators mentioned that Brett Morris was coaching and Cronk was assisting, which didn’t surprise as Cronk was always effort

agree would of had more chance at dragons, roosters are flush with fullbacks

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I suspect that the recruitment of very professional staff plus by Flano has helped hike through an extremely difficult period in his life last 5 to 6 weeks

I mean if an u guys and girls have lost your mum or dad………..man I was numb for the weeks leading up to it and the next month or so after

Flano has recruited very well and kept everything ticking with great staff

In this market to dislodge players early and fill gaps to be ready for an assault on 2025

It’s gotta be better than a B

A-

I mean what would an A or A plus look like for 2024?

It would be a miracle

Last edited:

SaintPeter

Juniors
Crikey, the understudy to Munster (just played V the Knights) No 6 Storm reserve grade (or whatever they call it now) looks like a beauty.
Scored an individual try, kicks goals from the side line and cant get a start at Melbourne.
I know we have Flanno jr but worth a look ???

thebigredv

First Grade
Crikey, the understudy to Munster (just played V the Knights) No 6 Storm reserve grade (or whatever they call it now) looks like a beauty.
Scored an individual try, kicks goals from the side line and cant get a start at Melbourne.
I know we have Flanno jr but worth a look ???
Jonah Pezet. Wonder if he is available soon. Exactly what we need.

TheRev

First Grade
We wont get Pezet.. he's one of the couple that they dont want to lose.. him and the young fullback that I forget the name of.