What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

taste2taste

Juniors
US v Canada game - empty grandstand - poor

Watch NRL subscribers - feedback price way too high. People just VPN to bypass. But early days

Merchandise - too early to sell
For the US v Canada game the crowd was sitting in the larger grand stand on the same side as the camera, the smaller grandstand that was in camera view on the other side of the field was empty. A healthy crowd for a league game, although I suspect those in attendance were all the 9's players from earlier in the day.

The App is insanely overpriced ( $150 usd ) they need to sort that asap.

Next year the NRL will cut alot of the fat, there's no need to fly everyone over for a launch in December, they don't need to fly journos, they don't need to advertise in Times Square...etc and if Kelce wants an appearance fee give it to him, but only of he tweets the game is on and to watch on FS1 ! You'll 10 x bigger adeunce from 1 tweet.

In terms of the USA, the late Eddie Waring was close friends with Bob Hope. In the mid-tweniet century, he made a proposal to hope, who owned the LA Rams in the NFL, about him establishing a local rugby league competition for NFL players to play in its off season. Apparrently Hope was interested, and so was then then owner of the 49ers. NFL players were not full time professionals back then, they worked regular jobs too so it looked a good chance of getting up as it would enable NFL players to become full time professional sports people.

What killed the proposal? The formation of the AFL (which once the NFL and it came to a peace deal, was merged into the NFL and known as the AFC Conference).

Matty Johns mentioned this in his podcast this week. There is a book detailing it, but the name of it escapes me right now.

Canard

Immortal
Do we have a metric on the amount of monies gambled? After all this was the real metric that the NRL was after.

Wb1234

Referee
So on the metrics so far

Attendance - 40k good
Local ratings - 61k fair but way below the 1% target
US v Canada game - empty grandstand - poor

Betting - if $0 goes to the NRL then poor
Watch NRL subscribers - feedback price way too high. People just VPN to bypass. But early days

Merchandise - too early to sell
Combine good
Australian tv ratings record

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not quite the disaster you were hoping for but just not quite good enough for you to be able to resist a haha to PVL.

You're cheering for the entire NRL to fail just to vindicate your hatred for V’landys.
Please just stop pretending to be a League fan .

To put things in perspective for you: 63k people just turned in that otherwise wouldn't have.
We generated the best Fox ratings here in Australia ever - and that was accomplished outside of prime time!!
This has been the most publicised start to a season in history.
There's now intrest for San Francisco 49ers to buy an NRL club.
The prospect of a professional comp in the USA has received a massive boost.
Now after taking all that into account..
As the great man has already made clear that this is only the foundation of a 5 year plan.
There will be a bigger crowd next year for the event and I'm sure Pete is working diligently to get better figures next year and year after that.
you see that why he's great- he'll keep working and you'll keep Muppeting.

You are the biggest flog.
technically speaking around 30k extra people tuned in.
yep I acknowlededged the novelty gave us a hundred k or so extra viewers here.
yes lots of publicity, paid for by the game.
of course there is: also an nrl team in USA according to made up stories lol

the big question, how many saps bet on the games in usa? That’s what they are there for after all

we’ll see, if it’s still going by year 5 I’ll be surprised.

and you’re the biggest sycophant. Are you one of those junket journos getting all expenses paid trips on the game?

Vlad59

Juniors

the big question, how many saps bet on the games in usa? That’s what they are there for after all

and you’re the biggest sycophant. Are you one of those junket journos getting all expenses paid trips on the game?
You are a miserable old feck

yakstorm

First Grade
FS1, in the Saturday evening timeslot, has an average audience of 140K.

Now considering FS1 has the rights to College Football, which averages over 500K in the timeslot, plus a number of high drawing MLB games, it shows that FS1 must have its fair share of low drawing Saturday nights.

Using the week before as an example, in the same time slot, the Women's College Basketball game between UNLV and Nevada had an average audience of 68K.

So with that info, what the NRL drew at that timeslot, for one of the non-major sports, was pretty status quo.

Now for me, the concerning part about those numbers is it does raise questions around how much growth can the NRL realistically achieve if it's locked to FS1 on a Saturday night in March? Despite the potential reach of FS1, clearly people aren't switching onto it in huge numbers then and how realistic is it for the NRL to influence that behaviour?

Ideal scenario would be that the NRL could get syndicated across the Fox network in some capacity, even if it was only into certain markets or even on delay, the numbers watching that channel is far higher.

Considering Fox & Fox Sports are owned by different companies these days, not sure how much influence the News connection could pull there though.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Cry more you sad f**k

Vlad59

Juniors

Now considering FS1 has the rights to College Football, which averages over 500K in the timeslot, plus a number of high drawing MLB games, it shows that FS1 must have its fair share of low drawing Saturday nights.

Using the week before as an example, in the same time slot, the Women's College Basketball game between UNLV and Nevada had an average audience of 68K.

So with that info, what the NRL drew at that timeslot, for one of the non-major sports, was pretty status quo.

Now for me, the concerning part about those numbers is it does raise questions around how much growth can the NRL realistically achieve if it's locked to FS1 on a Saturday night in March? Despite the potential reach of FS1, clearly people aren't switching onto it in huge numbers then and how realistic is it for the NRL to influence that behaviour?

Ideal scenario would be that the NRL could get syndicated across the Fox network in some capacity, even if it was only into certain markets or even on delay, the numbers watching that channel is far higher.

Considering Fox & Fox Sports are owned by different companies these days, not sure how much influence the News connection could pull there though.
One of the great things about this place is getting to read the critical analysis of people who actually know stuff. You and Doc Brown are right up there mate. Objective analysis like this is gold. Thank you.

final say

Juniors

I think we might be looking at this all wrong.
So for a first appearance NRL drew low viewer numbers but it wasn't nothing, it was watchable content... sports channels need content..
So it wasn't a smash hit but it could be a staple.
Still be very interesting to see what comes out of it.