What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

If they abandon Eden park the bar the wahs bought will be worth almost nothing

new stadium downtown is the best

no lipstick on a pig solutions
I was thinking the same thing, unless Mt Smart gets sold for development and Eden Park becomes the new Sports administration and CoE facility for say the Warriors and Blues with say a 10-15k seating for provincial activity.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It'll be a shame to lose Eden Park and all of that history but the Quay Park option with the open end looking out over the water and with the mountain in the background would be amazing and really make it unique.
Eden park could always be scaled back and retained for cricket if it’s not sold off. That would also allow the pitch size to be expanded to proper international standard cricket dimensions. If you retained the largest stand and replaced the rest with embankments you’d have a pretty good facility with decent capacity for tests and one dayers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It'll be a shame to lose Eden Park and all of that history but the Quay Park option with the open end looking out over the water and with the mountain in the background would be amazing and really make it unique.
Who’s paying for it? That article made it sound like there wasnt any govt money committed?

cinders7

Juniors
Eden park could always be scaled back and retained for cricket if it’s not sold off. That would also allow the pitch size to be expanded to proper international standard cricket dimensions. If you retained the largest stand and replaced the rest with embankments you’d have a pretty good facility with decent capacity for tests and one dayers.
That would be a great way to preserve the heritage but it feels like this is the end for Eden Park.

If they're going to spend enough to reconfigure EP, it might be tempting to spend the same amount on a different site with better transport links/not surrounded by residential land.

cinders7

Juniors
Who’s paying for it? That article made it sound like there wasnt any govt money committed?
It's just a committee to find the best option. Feels like a good decade has been spent talking about consolidating Auckland's stadiums. They have Eden Park, Mt Smart & North Harbour all competing with each other in a city smaller than BNE, and as a result none are really top class venues.
They need a CBD-edge football ground and a separate cricket venue, like BNE has with Lang Park and the 'Gabba. I hope for AKL's sake it finally comes to fruition.

Once the working group has decided on its recommendation, Henderson will produce a briefing document for the wider council. It is set to be discussed at the governing body meeting on May 30, before a vote to produce a binding decision.
“It is in a public forum,” said Henderson. “It will be a transparent process. From that vote, hopefully we get something across the line, then we go to government, we go to private partners and we have this cool project that the city really needs.”

jim_57

Staff member
I have no idea either but hope they don’t put lipstick on the eden park pig. That place is terrible.

I also hope that they move away from this design. Pretty ugly IMO and feels like the architects were on the good stuff before they drew this. Each stand looks like a shiitake mushroom. Hate it.
View attachment 86491

Yeh agree with this, the fancy roof I could take or leave as long as it covers most/all seats, but the stands look a bit weird in every shot I’ve seen.

A bigger QCB with one tier at the bay end giving the island view.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah, I think Melbourne continues to be an example of best practice when designing a city’s major sporting infrastructure. Melbourne Park, AAMI, Olympic Park all surrounding the mighty G and with both its own entertainment options and within walking distance of hundreds of additional entertainment options.

Auckland is prime for an inner city stadium but the biggest issue I see is how big to build it? Does Auckland warrant anything bigger than 50k? I think a 60k stadium would comfortably sellout All Blacks but they’ve only played there 5 times this decade. It does open up for big international music events when the currency is enticing enough.

Then the big question for RL, do the Warriors move from the commercial district at Mt Smart to a contemporary 50k seater? I suppose it wouldn’t be too dissimilar from seeing Easts playing in front of about 25k empty seats each week.

I think 60k would probably be about the right size for Auckland for All-Blacks & big concerts. 50k would probably be better for the Warriors but if they actually build it with the “club mode” to curtain off stands it could work for everyone.

Side note the A-League club owner wants a 20k waterfront stadium independent of all this.

Vee

First Grade

Auckland stadium: Downtown, Waterfront or Eden Park? Deadline looming for main stadium decision​

A decision on the best future option for Auckland’s main stadium will be made next month.
It was originally due to be earlier but the timetable has been revised, due to further due diligence being done on the four competing pitches. A council working group is currently assessing the options for Auckland’s principal arena, with the aim of future-proofing the city in terms of stadium requirements - after decades of debate.
The working group, which was set up last September by Mayor Wayne Brown, has engaged a local consulting practice to act as independent advisors. They are not one of the big four accounting firms.
They have been charged with delving deeper into what was presented in December last year, when each proposal gave a 75-minute pitch to the working group. The advisors have met each bid team on multiple occasions.

“We’ve got someone who knows their stuff to go around and kick the tyres and talk to all the bidders,” said councillor Shane Henderson, who chairs the working group. “I can gauge the public mood as a politician but I don’t know how to run a stadium.”
“It’s important that we can get some of that expertise. Getting into the detail, the real weeds of it all. Because we have to be confident as a city that this is 100 per cent viable, that it financially stacks up, all that kind of stuff.”
An aerial image of the proposed new precinct at Auckland's Quay Park, featuring the downtown stadium, hotels, commercial, retail and residential space.'s Quay Park, featuring the downtown stadium, hotels, commercial, retail and residential space.
An aerial image of the proposed new precinct at Auckland's Quay Park, featuring the downtown stadium, hotels, commercial, retail and residential space.
Asked if he was confident that the assessors could be truly neutral - given there are connections everywhere in the city - Henderson was unequivocal.
“100 per cent,” said Henderson. “That is the number one criteria. Auckland’s a small place. I get that. So to appoint anyone I needed to be 100 per cent confident in their independence and impartiality and that is the spirit that I take as the chair as well.”

The working group has also decided to use quantative criteria, to give each prospective bid a rating across different aspects.
“It’s a tool for debate - but a very useful tool,” said Henderson.
An artist's impression of the proposed sunken Auckland waterfront stadium.'s impression of the proposed sunken Auckland waterfront stadium.
An artist's impression of the proposed sunken Auckland waterfront stadium.
The other councillors on the working group are Julie Fairey, Wayne Walker, Daniel Newman and Chris Darby. The panel also includes Sport New Zealand chief executive Raelene Castle, Tātaki Auckland Unlimited boss Nick Hill, Tau Henare (independent Māori statutory representative) and mayoral adviser Simon Johnston.
The four options under consideration are;

- Eden Park 2.1. A redevelopment of the historic venue, pushing the capacity to 60,000.
- Waterfront Arena Aotearoa. This is centred on a 50,000-seat facility at Bledisloe Wharf. Known as the “sunken stadium”.
- The Tank Farm. Based at Wynyard Point, with a 55,000 capacity rectangular stadium along with an 8,000 seat indoor arena.
- Quay Park or Te Toangaroa. A 50,000-capacity downtown stadium, part of a new sports and entertainment precinct at the eastern end of the waterfront.
Aerial images of the proposed stadium on Wynyard Point.
Aerial images of the proposed stadium on Wynyard Point.
The working group is scheduled to have its final meeting next week, together with the independent advisors.
“It will be behind closed doors - thrashing out the criteria,” explained Henderson. “This one is better for transport, this one for the environment, etcetera.”

Henderson hopes that the working group can fix on one preferred option - “that’s cleaner” - but didn’t rule out multiple preferences.
“I’ve got an open mind,” said Henderson.
From there, he expects things to move “quite quickly”. Once the working group has decided on its recommendation, Henderson will produce a briefing document for the wider council. It is set to be discussed at the governing body meeting on May 30, before a vote to produce a binding decision.
“It is in a public forum,” said Henderson. “It will be a transparent process. From that vote, hopefully we get something across the line, then we go to government, we go to private partners and we have this cool project that the city really needs.”
Eden Park's capacity would lift to 60,000 under the 2.0 vision. Image / Eden Park Trust's capacity would lift to 60,000 under the 2.0 vision. Image / Eden Park Trust
Eden Park's capacity would lift to 60,000 under the 2.0 vision. Image / Eden Park Trust
Henderson admitted that the financial equation was the biggest issue, as there will be minimal - if any - ratepayer funds available - and central government has yet to commit.
While Henderson had hoped for an earlier resolution, he also didn’t want to be hurried.

“Any process needs to be 100 per cent defensible,” said Henderson. “It needs to be thorough and I would advantage that over speed but I do appreciate that Aucklanders want to know what is going on. It’s a world of upheaval at the moment and we need to know what the future of our city is on such a major question.”
For his part, Henderson has enjoyed being part of a high profile project but will also be happy to complete the process.
“Every barbeque I went to, everyone has an opinion on stadiums,” laughed Henderson. “So it did affect my summer a bit.”
Michael Burgess has been a sports journalist since 2005, winning several national awards and covering Olympics, Fifa World Cups and America’s Cup campaigns.
Certainly saying all the right things. Anyone from Unzud care to comment?

Vee

First Grade
Yeah, I think Melbourne continues to be an example of best practice when designing a city’s major sporting infrastructure. Melbourne Park, AAMI, Olympic Park all surrounding the mighty G and with both its own entertainment options and within walking distance of hundreds of additional entertainment options.

Auckland is prime for an inner city stadium but the biggest issue I see is how big to build it? Does Auckland warrant anything bigger than 50k? I think a 60k stadium would comfortably sellout All Blacks but they’ve only played there 5 times this decade. It does open up for big international music events when the currency is enticing enough.

Then the big question for RL, do the Warriors move from the commercial district at Mt Smart to a contemporary 50k seater? I suppose it wouldn’t be too dissimilar from seeing Easts playing in front of about 25k empty seats each week.
Club mode?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's just a committee to find the best option. Feels like a good decade has been spent talking about consolidating Auckland's stadiums. They have Eden Park, Mt Smart & North Harbour all competing with each other in a city smaller than BNE, and as a result none are really top class venues.
They need a CBD-edge football ground and a separate cricket venue, like BNE has with Lang Park and the 'Gabba. I hope for AKL's sake it finally comes to fruition.
Yeh I get that, but doesn’t answer the question of where the $1billion is coming from to build it? Does the nz govt have appetite for such a Spend?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The article says each bid has backers involved
Private investors are building it? That’ll be interesting to see.

just re read it and doesn’t say that at all lol.

‘hopefully we get something across the line, then we go to government, we go to private partners and we have this cool project’
Henderson admitted that the financial equation was the biggest issue, as there will be minimal - if any - ratepayer funds available - and central government has yet to commit.’