What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

speedster

Juniors
They're just buying time by postponing the inevitable with JD. After the Sharks game, with a brave against-the-odds performance that showed heart yet still shipped 34 points, it would have been very bad optics to knife JD after that and it also might have had a bad effect on the playing group who clearly appeared to give a stuff this week.

No, they need more time as it is to get their ducks in a row as well as to allow the media circus to sink their teeth into something else for a week or two. The right time to depart from JD is after the next thrashing (or two), which appears well on the cards after the bye with Storm and Panthers waiting for their turn to rack the points up against the worst defence in the league after 6 games.

With all the injuries though, what's par for JD right now? Keep the Storm and Panthers under 40 and it's thumbs up?

speedster

Juniors
People, including prospective head coach replacements, are looking very closely at Souths admin and wondering whether or not to get involved with a club that can or can't handle these sorts of pressures. They need to tread carefully and manage the situation professionally and with empathy or they could end up short of quality options. That's another reason why they withheld the dagger for JD after Saturday night's performance.

Both Meninga and Bennett took shots at Souths hierarchy on the weekend. Not good.

It is critical they manage this well from this point onwards. That includes plugging the apparent leaks flowing to the media from the inner sanctum..

@callmack1:

Flying to Chrischurch
Thence Hokitika
Richmond
Wellington
The scenic train to Auckland
Rotarua

Then a week freestyle wandering around nz if you have any suggestions?

Id try to visit a few Māori exhibitions and museums and stuff as it is an awesome culture.

Then I would try to meet the family of Sonny Fai and pay due respects, maybe lay a wreath where he died saving the others.

For the viewers at home, the trip includes some house swapping, the odd hotel and some friends lounges.
3 weeks which is not nearly enough time.

Id like to visit Samoa as well one day as our neighbourhood has bulk Samoans.

Last edited:

speedster

Juniors
Any help is better than no help at all I guess.
Also now a leading candidate for interim head coach should JD get speared.

Embarrassing really for JD to have knocked this appointment back last year and taken on the defence coach role himself on top of overall head coach responsibilities only for it all to have failed miserably and for him and the club to now backtrack with egg all over faces. They gave JD some leeway and it has flopped spectacularly.

You could criticise the club admin for not putting their foot down after Morris and Sam departed but you could also cut them some slack in accepting that they wanted to give JD their full support to do it his way. So, they did it his way. He now owns the majority share of responsibility for the outcome to how our season has started.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member

I agree with Hoops. There's no friggin way some guy just approached Mal without the club knowing about it or giving them the go ahead. There's no friggin way. If that really did happen, then we're in bigger trouble than we may think.

It seems all the Mal stuff has cooled off which personally, I'm disappointed about. I know it's probably because they've said they'll give JD time, and it may ramp up again when/if he gets sacked.

I'm not absolutely thrilled by Furner coming in, but I will say I'm happy with it. At least they're trying something. A bit of experience will be nice and hopefully he can help steady the ship somewhat. If it's true he's coming in to fix the defence, then that's basically JD putting his hand up and saying he's not capable. Maybe Furner can change things? I get what people are saying about his efforts at the Tigers but this is completely different scenario and a completely different set of players. We'll just have to wait and see.

What this also does, is give us a ready-made caretaker if need be. I'd still want Mal, but I'd be more comfortable with Furner than Hornby.

callmack1

Staff member

For me, I'm not going to comment on anything in regards to Jye being our fullback once Trell returns. I want to give him some time and see how he goes in the next two games. A lot can happen and it's only early. I admit, he looks the goods and I really like him, but we can't fully judge him off one game.

We have the Storm and Panthers the next two games and that's as good a test for Jye as any. If he performs well, the spot is his for the rest of the year unless Trell returns so well he demands the spot (unlikely). If he struggles, then maybe re-think for this year and get a more long-term strategy for Jye.

The kid is our future for sure but whether he'll be our fullback for the rest of 2024 or not remains to be seen. I say re-visit this discussion in a few weeks.

I agree that Trell needs a reality check and a shake up but it all depends on how Jye goes these next few weeks.

callmack1

Staff member

Happy to hear Trell, Cody and Cooky have done this. Commitment to the cause is a good place to start.

themacemaceman

Juniors

I agree with Hoops. There's no friggin way some guy just approached Mal without the club knowing about it or giving them the go ahead. There's no friggin way. If that really did happen, then we're in bigger trouble than we may think.

It seems all the Mal stuff has cooled off which personally, I'm disappointed about. I know it's probably because they've said they'll give JD time, and it may ramp up again when/if he gets sacked.

I'm not absolutely thrilled by Furner coming in, but I will say I'm happy with it. At least they're trying something. A bit of experience will be nice and hopefully he can help steady the ship somewhat. If it's true he's coming in to fix the defence, then that's basically JD putting his hand up and saying he's not capable. Maybe Furner can change things? I get what people are saying about his efforts at the Tigers but this is completely different scenario and a completely different set of players. We'll just have to wait and see.

What this also does, is give us a ready-made caretaker if need be. I'd still want Mal, but I'd be more comfortable with Furner than Hornby.
Heard them on the radio talking about this third party thing. They reckon that’s an old Wayne Bennett trick . That way the club can deny they ever approached him and Mal can deny he was approached.

speedster

Juniors
“It’s Jye’s spot at the moment, and if he keeps playing well, he’s every chance to keep it,” Demetriou said.“You never know in rugby league. Who is available in another two weeks’ time might be different to who is available now.
“I just want him to focus on each week. He’ll get a good prep going down to Melbourne (in Round 8), which will help.

“He’s obviously got speed, and he’s a real threat who can make a lot of metres for a little bloke. He would have finished with over 200m the other night had he stayed on the field.

“There’s more to come from him, and once he gets settled in, and we get more quality ball to him, he’ll be even better again.

“We said before the game he had earned the right to be here, and he should go out and enjoy it. One game was not going to define him. It’s just the start.”
It comes amid News Corp’s Dave Riccio revealing Gray was always going to be given the chance to play fullback last weekend — which would’ve seen Mitchell shifted to centre had he not been suspended.

“I understand that Jye was going to be the fullback anyway in this Cronulla game even if Latrell was available,” Riccio told NRL 360.

“That was my understanding that Latrell would’ve played in the centres against the Sharks if he wasn’t suspended.

“There’s a belief internally that the change has to come and I think Jye will hold the position — form pending.”

NRL 360 host Braith Anasta asked the panel whether the backing of Gray is also a way of sending Mitchell, who has been out of form to start the season, a strong message.

“It’s a kick up the backside,” Riccio said.
Fellow News Corp journalist Brent Read, however, believes Mitchell “will end up back at fullback at some point,” because Jack Wighton already holds one centre position and Campbell Graham will return from a sternum injury later in the season.

But that logjam could force Demetriou to pull the trigger on a halves combination many have been calling for — Wighton at five-eight and Cody Walker at halfback.

hunters

Juniors
My recollection is we couldn’t wait to get rid of Furner last time he was here and he hardly turned the Tigers around in any way. Not sure what shape these types of contracts take but it seems weird looking to appoint assistants to someone that was supposedly on the chopping block. How does that sit with a potential new coach in 4 or 5 weeks time that doesn’t think much of Furner?

handyman2190

Bench
My recollection is we couldn’t wait to get rid of Furner last time he was here and he hardly turned the Tigers around in any way. Not sure what shape these types of contracts take but it seems weird looking to appoint assistants to someone that was supposedly on the chopping block. How does that sit with a potential new coach in 4 or 5 weeks time that doesn’t think much of Furner?
There is more to this that meets the eye,jd was told to replace sam and morris but declined and its bit him on the arse, this also gives us an experienced interime coach, jd discovered he cant do it all

Hellray

Juniors
That was posted by the mole. Take it for what it is. But does anyone else read that and think it could be kaloamatagi?
A rep forward who if the stories from last season are right is a lazy trainer (team mates took exception to his attitude)

I just can’t think of anyone else from another team.

Latest posts