What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2024

Blair

Coach
It's back! It's a bit of love/hate with me. Sure it sucks the life out of club footy (let alone international) but it gets you through winter and is often very watchable (like the Olympics, Wimbledon, Tour de France, et al).

The teams are named on Monday. Madge might do things differently to Fittler. Slater might stay with the tried and true.

JJ

Immortal
NSW have a real crisis at 7 without Cleary, Moses hasn't played, Reynolds out...

I've not been sure what to make of origin for a long while now, for me it hasn't had the magic of the earlier days for a while, still an incredible level of intensity though

I do miss the days when fatigue was more of an issue - due to both the semi professionalism and the lack of interchanges... "back in my day" Jesus I am sounding old

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Quite a good draw for the Warriors - we play a bunch of QLD sides who should be down on troops through the origin period

Big Marn

Bench
NSW have a real crisis at 7 without Cleary, Moses hasn't played, Reynolds out...

I've not been sure what to make of origin for a long while now, for me it hasn't had the magic of the earlier days for a while, still an incredible level of intensity though

I do miss the days when fatigue was more of an issue - due to both the semi professionalism and the lack of interchanges... "back in my day" Jesus I am sounding old
I think there were more personalities back then, both players and coaches. think its abit vanilla now. this just off the top of my head. there will be a million more out there.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I love Origin, but the 10.15/10.30pm time slot in NZ murders me. Hence why I haven't watched it since I had kids - no effing way I am up at that hour.

Seems to still be plenty of feeling and passion in it, no doubt less than the 80s/90s/00s unless we're being sentimental bastards.

I remember playing lunchtime Origin games back in school. Most of us had never even been to NSW or QLD at the time but we still bashed the shit out of each other as if we bled sky blue and maroon lol

Definitely not the same vibe as the old days but I still love it.

Matua

Bench
It's back! It's a bit of love/hate with me. Sure it sucks the life out of club footy (let alone international) but it gets you through winter and is often very watchable (like the Olympics, Wimbledon, Tour de France, et al).

The teams are named on Monday. Madge might do things differently to Fittler. Slater might stay with the tried and true.
Hate with me, with no love. ;)

Why are we discussing it in the NZ section when we can barely raise a thread for the Kiwis?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I watch it cos it’s decent footy, but honestly Kiwis who get all fired up for it are weak-gutted (and more importantly weak-minded) dogs tbh.

At the end of the day it’s all very contrived and the underlying culture is cheating and cowardice (it’s Australian).

Blair

Coach
It's quite a big breakthrough for our club. We've never had many Blues. Any sulky Sydney leaguie that thought 'if I go to the Warriors then that'd be the end of my Origin dreams' has had a bit of a reset.

Scott

Bench
Queenslands “pick and stick” myth exposed again with David Fifita
I disagree. Billy Slater has given a great explanation with regards to habits. He did exactly the same last year with Gagai & then Cobbo.

Off the top of my head, Jake & DCE both captaining from Manly,I remember Laurie Daley & Mal Meninga both captaining while playing for Canberra. Is this the only other time? Possibly Fittler & Lam from the Roosters??

JJ

Immortal
I disagree. Billy Slater has given a great explanation with regards to habits. He did exactly the same last year with Gagai & then Cobbo.

Off the top of my head, Jake & DCE both captaining from Manly,I remember Laurie Daley & Mal Meninga both captaining while playing for Canberra. Is this the only other time? Possibly Fittler & Lam from the Roosters??
Chat GPT says this
"Yes, there have been instances where the captains of opposing State of Origin teams have been from the same club. A notable example occurred in the 2012 State of Origin series. In this series, Cameron Smith captained the Queensland Maroons while Paul Gallen captained the New South Wales Blues, and both players were part of the Melbourne Storm at that time. This occurrence highlighted the level of talent within the Melbourne Storm, with two of their players leading the opposing teams in one of the most fiercely contested rugby league series in the world."

The free version really gives you some useless shit

Hate with me, with no love. ;)

Why are we discussing it in the NZ section when we can barely raise a thread for the Kiwis?
I get your stance on Origin and point of it being raised in NZ threads. I tell people who get offended on what's on the TV.

"You don't have to watch it. You can change the channel or turn it the thing off"

Similar to here just don't click anything Origin based and you can be free of this Origin talk in NZ Threads. You just can't control what other people are going to raise.

I love the Kiwis FYI and I quite often frown upon this overrated shit feast that is Origin.

I am glad I get to talk about Origin in this matter lol

Last edited:

Latest posts