What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pritchard: Panthers can win the NRL [Daily Telegraph]

choc_soldier

Coach
Frank Pritchard: Penrith Panthers can win the NRL

PENRITH players revealed after flogging the Warriors their pact to repay coach Matthew Elliott for listening to their complaints, with second-rower Frank Pritchard declaring "this team can win a premiership". The Panthers, dismal 48-12 losers to Brisbane in round one, blasted eight tries past the hapless Aucklanders on the way to a 46-22 win at CUA Stadium yesterday with Pritchard, winger Michael Gordon and centre Michael Jennings each posting two.

Yet only two months ago the club was riven by talk of disharmony with players meeting Elliott and his assistants to express concerns over their energy-sapping training routine.

"The coaching staff have been really good in meeting us halfway with the gameplan and the way the training is," prop Tony Puletua told The Daily Telegraph last night. "It's really come back a lot over the last few weeks.

"This was about us giving back, meeting them (halfway) as well, with our performances on the field."

Pritchard, who not so long ago asked for a release, was a one-man tornado yesterday and said afterwards: "Last year's training session wasn't laid back, (it was) balanced.

'For them to listen to us (was gratifying) - then it was up to us to do our job as well, and that's on the paddock."

Pritchard compared the current Panthers to John Lang's 2003 premiership side.

"They set the bar," he said.

"But the team we've got on paper now - this team can win a premiership.

"It's just a matter of sticking to the gameplan and showing up on game day ready to play." .

Yesterday's was easily the most spectacular of Penrith's five wins this year, the players such as fullback Rhys Wesser initiating some sizzling breaks as the mountain men turned a 22-6 halftime advantage into a crushing 40-6 lead with 26 minutes left.

Probably the pick of the tries came two minutes short of halftime when New Zealand international Pritchard fielded a Grant Rovelli kick near his own line and set sail upfield before unloading to Jennings, who scorched the turf to elude the defence over the remaining 65 metres to the line.

Wesser admitted there were divisions in the camp in 2007 when "there were young guys coming through and they were separated, the young guys from the old guys.

"We've got to know each other," he said.

Elliott thanked the players for their input but denied that he should have adopted the ideas earlier.

"The players gave us some really constructive and important feedback. That's why you've got leadership groups," he said. "This guy (Luke Priddis) has played 250 games of first grade.

"If you're not going to take the advice and opinion of those guys, I think in the modern game you're a pretty naive coach.

"I certainly don't want to be seen as that.

"The day you don't take the opportunity to enjoy training, the day coaches don't set up structures to make it entertaining, maybe that's when we should get a job on the stock exchange."

Asked if the meeting helped the team Elliott said: "I think the results display that".

Halfback Luke Lewis was also a standout, having a hand in four tries as he tries to keep his spot ahead of Jarrod Sammut.

The Warriors have now not only failed to win away but conceded a mountain of points and when asked if the players would have to address the issue, captain Michael Luck said: "Well, I suppose we've got to now. But we've got to approach it as a game of footy . . . on a rectangular field, exactly the same as we play on in New Zealand."
Link

It was probably taken out of context, and there is nothing wrong with being confident and backing your ability... but I want to see how we go how we go over the next two months before making a true assessment - putting away two sub-standard teams in two weeks doesn't make you premiership material.

mxlegend99

Referee
While we are little to no chance at the premiership, i hope every one of our player thinks that we are. That's the only way we will see their best footy IMO.

If we had a proper halfback, we would be an excellent chance. But none of our options in the halves are good enough for a premiership. If we make the top 8, i'll be happy. If we make the top 4, we will have exceeded any expectations i had for us.

Fibroman

First Grade
If Pritchard and Big T play at their best week in and week out, we are definate top 8 contenders. Pritchard at his best is in the class of SBW.

panthersballboy

Juniors
I appreciate the confidence but geez I wish they wouldn't make statements like that. Everytime people start to rate us we go off the rails. Especially when the players start talking up our chances. Penrith always play their best being the underdog.

We have some big games in June against the sharks, roosters and broncos. If we can win at least 2 of those I may start thinking we can give the top 8 a shake and maybe top 4.

broncoFAN

Juniors
sorry to burst the bubble but, penrith have beaten 2 reserve grade standard teams in successive weeks... WOW now your going to win a premiership
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sleep

Juniors
We've got Sharks and Brisbane when they're without their Origin players. We'll only be missing Petero. We should win both, especially the Broncos game comfortably.

Black Majik

Juniors
sorry to burst the bubble but, penrith have beaten 2 reserve grade standard teams in successive weeks... WOW now your going to win a premiership
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So if the Broncos beat 2 teams in successive weeks, scoring 76 for and 28 against, we won't bother rating them cause the other teams played like busted a$$es?

Or should we because they are the Broncos?

Or could it be that the opposition were only allowed to perform to that standard by the more dominant team on the day?

smegarn

Juniors
A little to confident too early for my liking.

I hope he is right.

First step would be to start playing for the full 80 minutes though.

A top notch team would have run them down in the final 20 minutes of both the last 2 games.

It certainly is a start to build on.

Go the chocy's.

murraymob

Coach
pritchard is a confidence player. If he feels we can win the comp he will perform at a greater level .When we make the 8 anything can happen.The young brigade is forcing there way in .This team will only get better and better

broncoFAN

Juniors
So if the Broncos beat 2 teams in successive weeks, scoring 76 for and 28 against, we won't bother rating them cause the other teams played like busted a$$es?

Or should we because they are the Broncos?

Or could it be that the opposition were only allowed to perform to that standard by the more dominant team on the day?

lets see penrith do it against a full strength top6 team champ!

fourplay

Juniors
The bulldogs without SBW, Patten and Roberts are like North QLD without Thurston and Bowen. Panthers win over them doesn't mean much.

Panthers can win the NRL though... its just very unlikely... 31/1 unlikely....lol

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
Panthers can certainly win the NRL.
But we must not forget those teams ahead of us.
It will be tuff and our team needs to perform at their best from now on if they want to stay alive for the finals.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Of course anyone who makes the 8 can win the NRL, but I think making the 8 first is the priority before getting ahead of ourselves. After missing out for three seasons, I'd be pretty happy with just making the 8 but if they are confident of making more of an impact that'd be great, but its a bit premature when we haven't even strung 3 in a row together.

maple_69

Bench
What do you mean? We're currently on a 4 game streak...oh wait, how could I forget about Cumgate!

murraymob

Coach
maple that streak will be even bigger after we beat the cowboys. The 8 is looking closer by the game

mxlegend99

Referee
The Cowboys game is going to be a tough one. They have a new coach and he has the bye which gives them extra time to sort things out.

Hopefully we can keep our form up from the past few games though. I'm still waiting for us to go back to the Panthers of old and just not show up at all.

murraymob

Coach
.i think our record up there is good.With Petro back we are looking good.The cowboys are struggling major time