What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bahahaha what a dumb person

I seriously do not see any issue with it. The title of the clip referred to the student as being Pakistani, Paki is just the abbreviation. It was also was not used in a racist manner imo. As for saying calling us Aussie's is different, I see no difference at all. I pretty sure I have heard the Nine cricket commentators refer to the Pakistani cricket team as Paki's. No fuss has been made of that.

You have a point there mate

half

Coach
channel nine commentators are the yardstick for decency in australian society. well the cricket ones anyway

God-King Dean

Immortal
It's a funny & touchy thing isn't it.

If I said " I saw two Jews today. " nobody would care.
If I said " I seen these two stupid f**king Jews today. " it's racist.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's a funny & touchy thing isn't it.

If I said " I saw two Jews today. " nobody would care.
If I said " I seen these two stupid f**king Jews today. " it's racist.

But maybe they were stupid. Then it's not racist, but factual.

:sarcasm:

As for the term "Paki", it has negative connotations - much like calling someone of Aborginal descent an Abbo. Sure, one could argue "Abbo" is an abbreviated form of "Aboriginal", but it has negative perceptions associated with it.

And Aussies are all racists.

WHITE POWWAH!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the term "Paki" is short for Pakastani

"stupid Paki" is a derogatory racist term that wont be tolerated

Azkatro

First Grade
I think what everybody's trying to say is, he ran head first through the door because he's a f**king goose, not because he's a Paki. The video also shows many other "Pakis" using the door with a great degree of ability.

Martli

Coach
Why is calling some one from Pakistan a Paki deemed racisit? Someone called me a Aussie recently, is that racist? Seems to be the exact same thing to me.

Wasn't Paki used in a negative context though, ie with Pakistani immigrants in the UK. Whereas Aussie, like Kiwi has always just been a slang term for their respective peoples with no negative connotations attached to it.

Language carries connotations with it. You can't just look at the abbreviation and compare with other words that have been abbreviated similarly and assume that both hold the same connotations.

Last edited:
If it was an 'Aussie' the thread title would never have been what a dumb Aussie would it? So why the need to mention race? It probably would have been what a dumb bastard which I assume is okay because there are dumb bastards in every race.

Didgi

I think what everybody's trying to say is, he ran head first through the door because he's a f**king goose, not because he's a Paki. The video also shows many other "Pakis" using the door with a great degree of ability.

:lol::lol: I can see the job application now.

It's all becuase the term paki was originally used derogatorally.

Just a question Twiz, not trying to be critical or anything. If the title was

""Bahahaha what a dumb Pakistani""

would you have edited the title?

Eelementary

Post Whore
:lol::lol: I can see the job application now.

It's all becuase the term paki was originally used derogatorally.

Just a question Twiz, not trying to be critical or anything. If the title was

""Bahahaha what a dumb Pakistani""

would you have edited the title?

It's still a line-ball call - I mean, why the need to label the person by their ethnicity? Sure, he probably is from Pakistan (he could be from Bangladesh or England for all we know), but there is no need to point it out imo. "What a dumb <fool, person, etc.>" would have been better.

My two cents.

Garts

Bench
If it was an 'Aussie' the thread title would never have been what a dumb Aussie would it? So why the need to mention race? It probably would have been what a dumb bastard which I assume is okay because there are dumb bastards in every race.

If Paki was mentioned all on its own I would tend to agree but the title of video said "Pakistani" thats why I did not view it as being racist. Essentially just copying parts of the title but using an abbreviation. Although I do not know what he was thinking so he may very well have used it in a racist way I guess.

Latest posts