What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup to expand

Perth Red

Post Whore
Colin Love on Barefoot RL mentioned the NSW cup would def be 14 teams by 2011 and probably more. Presuming the WA Reds will move up then and maybe CC will have a team, who else is likely?

Coastbloke

Bench
I believe Ch Nein has refused to give rights to broadcast NSW Cup to the ABC because they consider any NRL stars to be NEIN property... :roll: :roll:

So with the advent of digital TV and the extra Free channels, Nein now has the platform to broadcast NSW Cup without the excuse there is no viable space in the schedule..

Truth be told, they cut the Super League by 1/2 a hour on a Sunday arvo and could have used that 30 mins to broadcast a 'highlights' package of NSW Cup... :crazy:

joshreading

Staff member
Thoroughly agree I think it would be great to see a Mid North Coast Team (even split between Port Mac/Coffs)

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I'd love to see a Mid-North Coast team. It could feature the likes of Ryan Shortland, Daniel Dumas and Jacob Selmes who are all Port Macquarie players.

Roland

Juniors
Colin Love on Barefoot RL mentioned the NSW cup would def be 14 teams by 2011 and probably more. Presuming the WA Reds will move up then and maybe CC will have a team, who else is likely?

Central Coast are already there but Melbourne are coming in next year and when the contracts Manly and Canberra have with Qld clubs expire they will not be allowed to renew. Central Coast may tie up with Newcastle.

mono_mal

Juniors
The NSWRL was also considering enforcing NRL clubs within NSW to field their feeder team in the NSW Cup.
So this could potentially force Manly and Canberra to withdraw their ties with Souths Logan and the Sunshine Coast.
Melbourne will be joining next year though the Central Coast could remain in the comp still whilst Perth also hope to step up to State Cup in coming years.
A Jim Beam Cup team like Cabramatta or someone like St Marys could also possibly step up.

groggo

Juniors
i really believe manly should field a nsw cup team
the move the bastardise is pathetic

bring back 3 games at each ground

if the nsw cup was promoted as well as the nyc we would have sponsors on board

Coastbloke

Bench
Would be good to have the NRL Sydney teams as the basis for a 14 team comp..

1. Penrith
2. Parramatta
3. Wests
4. Balmain
5. Sharks
6. Newtown
7. Norths
8. Manly
9. Canberra
10. Central Coast
11. Mid North Coast
12. Western Division
13. New England
14. Illawarra

Just a basic idea - drop or include your own teams..

Increase salary cap (dunno what it is now) from TV broadcast money and show it on a FTA digital channel..As more and more people are buying STBs and LCDs and Plasmas with built in Digital and keeping in mind it will ALL be digital in a couple of years - this could be very viable..

tezzah1

Juniors
How about a rep team from the Country?

I know there are rep fixtures like Bidgee bulls etc but why not try and have a country rep team? Would logistics and costs allow for a country made team from the Groups?

Bluebags1908

Juniors

I think you will find that the 14 teams by 2011 will be:

* The 11 current teams
* Manly coming back
* Newcastle coming back
* Canberra coming back

But I also hope the WA Reds or other teams come in.

I think they should have a Blacktown team so to make things difficult for AFL. They can feeder the Panthers. The Panthers have Windsor as a feeder, but the Wests Tiges have 2 feeders in Balmain and Wests Magpies so why can't Penrith do the same? It's not as if there isn't an abundance of players out in Western Sydney.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I believe Ch Nein has refused to give rights to broadcast NSW Cup to the ABC because they consider any NRL stars to be NEIN property... :roll:

The ABC show the QLDCup and that is chock full of NRL players too. I doubt what your saying is the reason for it

Joker's Wild

Coach

* The 11 current teams
* Manly coming back
* Newcastle coming back
* Canberra coming back

I think they should have a Blacktown team so to make things difficult for AFL. They can feeder the Panthers. The Panthers have Windsor as a feeder, but the Wests Tiges have 2 feeders in Balmain and Wests Magpies so why can't Penrith do the same? It's not as if there isn't an abundance of players out in Western Sydney.

Newcastle has committed to the local comp for 2010 and I doubt they will field a NSW cup side for 2011 unless they are forced too.

skeepe

Immortal

* The 11 current teams
* Manly coming back
* Newcastle coming back
* Canberra coming back

Canberra will not be fielding a team in the NSW cup. They'll be fighting tooth and nail to retain their association with Souths Logan, and if they can't do that will try to link up with an existing team. If that doesn't work, who knows they may use the local competition.

The official line from the club is that they simply can't afford to run another full team.