What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telecrap at their lowest - Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

HEAR that? It's called silence. It's the absence of the rugby league season.

Is it not glorious? To be free of the stifling tedium of blanket coverage, the grinding banality of match commentary, the sub-trivial parish pump gossip and news of yet another player's off-field atrocity. The silence of January is golden.
The featureless white noise of the mate-against-mate, meathead-against-meathead cavalcade is comfortably distant; just a grim prospect. Like root canal treatment.
Please don't misunderstand me - I don't dislike rugby league. That requires too much of the effort which is better directed toward the herculean task of ignoring it.
It would also mean trying to take it seriously and rugby league already takes itself far too seriously.
For all the reverberating, unintentionally self-parodying hyperbole, rugby league remains, as ever it will, the blustering short man of sport. Beyond our eastern cities and one in New Zealand, some grimy towns in England's north and a few rustic French villages, rugby league does not exist. This code is a loud provincial oaf let loose upon the big city - obnoxious, flatulent and prone to publicly displaying its genitals. Please - I implore you - don't use rugby league in the same sentence as "World Cup" unless you wish to be battered by force 10 gales of laughter. Aside from its global dwarfism, its case is hindered by shoddy pretence. By all means recruit to your side a boofhead who once missed his flight and had to spend the night in Honolulu. Stick him in a kitsch kit and call him a Tomahawk, but do at least smirk knowingly when you pretend he represents the United States.
Rugby league is a platform for flogging industrial beer. It's a hot air container that temporarily inflates the flaccid careers of club circuit entertainers and their forgotten anthems. Try time? No. Try hard time.
Then there is the spectacle itself - 26 post-adolescents with hideously engorged musculature dressed each week in different livery, yet each of which somehow resembles a beverage can. These run in strict linear patterns until a mistake is made and one lot falls over the other's line. For this points are awarded.
Rugby league is painfully contrived. It is prima facie absurd. Knock a fellow down then permit him up to play the ball. Repeat several times until ball is kicked away. No sight in competitive sport is more abject than the flagrant non-aggression pact that is a rugby league scrum.
No, I don't dislike rugby league, though if I cared to I could manage to find offensive the fetish made of the game's (selective) history. How did the Johnny Come Comparatively Lately code wrest popularity from its parent? By inherent superiority? Crowd-pleasingly open play? Or the fact that for five seasons it was the only game in town?
The NSW and Queensland rugby unions suspended senior competition during World War I. Rugby league did not. When Balmain played Glebe in the 1915 grand final, young men were being sacrificed at Gallipoli. The Queensland Rugby Union was unable to reform until 1929.
By no means do I impugn those who played on or to suggest that many thousands have not worn both khaki and club colours. But it does strike me as a slightly anomalous note when the code wraps itself in the flag and has the Last Post played at its Anzac Day Test.
Merely ridiculous is the gladiatorial imagery with which rugby league is inevitably promoted. The big hits, the on-field biff that officials piously condemn, but actually exult in. Again the short man aspect is the fore. If, like me, you like to watch mixed martial arts - which is hysterically condemned despite strictly enforced rules of engagement - the spectacle of artless behemoths running into each other is depressing in the extreme.
Perhaps I do dislike rugby league, but I don't begrudge its right to exist, which is more than can be said of its attitude toward everyone else. There are still in rugby league not a few resentful rednecks who see an Australian failure in rugby or soccer as "good for our game" and the encroachment of Australian rules on its traditional turf as a crisis surpassing that of refugee boats.
Less really can be more.
In rugby league's case, much less.
Paul Pottinger is Deputy Editor of Carsguide. His heretical views in no way reflect those of The Daily Telegraph, which knows that rugby league is the greatest game in the world. Miranda Devine returns next week.
LINK

Notice the cop out at the bottom?

We need to kick News LTD out of RL and hopefully one day the greater society permanently.

How the hell can these scummy organisation have links within the game?

This article is not only disgraceful but it shows the true colours of what they think of RL.

f**k off NOW

That article is disgusting. The fact that they point out that there were men still playing league during WWI is pathetic. So sending less men to war and helping people at home take their mind off the war with sport is a bad thing is it? Fmd people like Dave Brown and Donald Bradman shouldn't be heroes according to their stupid logic. Whoever wrote this should get the sack.

boxhead

First Grade
That is the most disgusting and contemptuous attempt at an article I've seen, it even makes the rest of the Telecrap's "journalism" seemingly high quality by comparison.
The biggest farce is not that this was published, nor the rambling of the sycophantic moron in the "article", but the segment that attempts to trivialize the article and make it seem like the Telecrap doesn't condone the article. It's garbage and if any editor or related journalist can trick anyone like that then I'd have no sympathy for whoever fell for the apology at the climax of this abomination.

Rugby union princesses can starve on their lack of State of Origin.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
judge-pottinger.jpg

Typical geeky bald 4 eyed ugly old union merkin, they're all the same.

StormHi

Juniors
That article made me giggle no one would take those ramblings seriously or could for that matter make it past the first paragraph.

It was really quite funny.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Make sure you leave a comment on the article itself, really send them a message.

MsStorm

Bench
I can't believe what I just read or that the Telegraph let that out to print.
It simply would not happen here in Melbourne about the afl.

Everyone should be leaving an appropriate comment or ringing the Telegraph to complain.

RWB

Bench
Make sure you leave a comment on the article itself, really send them a message.

Why? The more comments and views the more money they get from the people paying for the advertisements on their website. The messages you'd leave them are exactly what they're looking for anyway... a reaction of any kind.

Just don't visit their website or buy their newspapers.

It's a ridiculous article, that is largely inaccurate. It's funny in the main, with it being OTT silly. Don't write in and complain. I bet things like this get written about soccer in the UK, and AFL somewhere at some point.

I smell fear from the RU trolls on the eve of our $1b + television rights. our ever increasing crowds, popularity and junior participation, while RU wallows in the background like a little short kid jumping up and down trying to be apart of a photograph full of tall much cooler kids. It's just RU trying to have something in the paper as the anticipation grows for a huge 2012 season. Nothing more, nothing less.

Patorick

Staff member
He's right about the TV commentary at least, I'll give him that.

Rest is beyond nonsense though.

juro

Bench
So rugby league is preferred over rugby union because it was played during WW1, and not because of the "crowd-pleasingly open play". Okay... I didn't realise that when I gave up on union a decade or so ago for being the boring mess that it is. Sign me up for 2012!

That sort of logic is up there with the one where NSW is jealous of Victoria due to the 1850s gold rush...

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Have your say

Comments on this story

Mark Moses of Merimbula Posted at 12:18 AM Today
Paul for a man whose job is to test drive and comment on expensive flashy cars you are quick to throw the tag of short man to rugby league - perhaps you are overcompensating yourself...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Why? The more comments and views the more money they get from the people paying for the advertisements on their website. The messages you'd leave them are exactly what they're looking for anyway... a reaction of any kind.

Just don't visit their website or buy their newspapers.

X 2. Well said.