What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W Mason

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Its a silly argument because you are supporting his move here by saying he's troublesome but not as much as some former players. He's still troublesome.

I'm supporting the move because it makes sense. We have little to no options in the front-row. He is available now, cheap and fit.

I think you'll find he's done more than that. He has a history, especially at the roosters, of derailing younger players and practically ruining their careers.

I would argue any player who is easily influenced by others has a weak character.

Unless you can tell me specifically what Mason is accused to have done, this is all hearsay.

He is a lot of a dropkick, he's past it, he'll demand a big salary and at best, he'll be on the bench. Last time we bought an old past it prop his name was Jason Cayless. That went well for us.

Mason will be signed on a second-tier contract/match payments. So no, he won't demand a big salary.

Jason Cayless was knowingly signed with a chronic injury. Mason is fit.

So we lose Galloway for a few weeks and its automatically panic stations? Willie Mason will not improve our pack. Our entire pack is lacking starch and dominance. One man cannot do the work of 5, especially not Mason. The best option is to keep rotating the props we have at the moment. They can't learn the rigours of NRL footy sitting in NSW Cup.

I think he will improve our pack. He couldn't possibly be any worse.

Let's see how he goes before writing him off.

If he is a complete failure and does worse than our forwards did last week, then I will happily wipe the egg off my face.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
How is it a silly argument?

Anyone who says they will not support the club if we sign Mason is a giant hypocrite.
Mason's biggest crime in the last few years is that he took a leak against a wall after a night out. So what?

The only real issue with Willie is that he is a bit of a dropkick and he has a big mouth. But there are players who have done far worse and they are still running around in the NRL. As long as he keeps his mouth closed and plays football I think he can do a job.

We are two props short and desperately need something in the forwards so unless you can suggest an alternative signing that is cheap and is available right now I don't see any better options.

I'll tell you what is a liability: going into a game with 20 and 21 year old props. Give me Mason to start a game ahead of a couple of kids anyday of the week.

Again, if there is a better option available right now, I'm all ears.

I agree too. In an ideal world I would not consider Mason bearing in mind his loose cannon reputation and mouth but having said that I too cant see any other option to get an experienced forward into the pack to give the guys some help. Ellis cant do it by himself and certainly Heighington and Fulton have not risen to the occassion.

Mason certainly has not done anything to suggest he is overly blessed with intelligence but put in a straight jacket of behaviour clauses and given a chance I think he does want to end his career on a better note than it currently stands. WT could be a lifebuoy for that better end to his career, its up to him whether he takes it and accepts the challenge. If he lets his football do the talking I've no complaint in signing him.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I compare this situation to that of Lote. I was dead against signing him and excluding the injuries he has proven (well so far) to be a sound investment. I know Mason has a shocking reputation but like Lote, he is an older footballer keen to prove a point at the end of his career. If he pulls his finger out and is genuinely committed he should be an asset to the team. Pride is a funny thing with footballers. Well I hope so...

Mason has ability, if he is still capable of cutting it in the NRL time will tell,what we dont need is another lazy forward doing bugger all, which he has been guilty of in the past.We are really missing Gibbs work rate.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, yes because Willie Mason is such a consistently great performer isn't he.

f**k, even Tommy Raudonikis doesn't rate him.

simmo1

First Grade
Tell us again how Ellis and Tuqiri are both shit. Won't be long for Blair to prove you wrong (again) either.

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
yes it's official see below- Marshall/Farrah and Mason cooling down after a hard training session

funny-pictures-tigers-bath-soup.jpg

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell us again how Ellis and Tuqiri are both shit. Won't be long for Blair to prove you wrong (again) either.

I don't recall saying ellis would be shit.

Lote, well we've had one good season out of him. Verdict is still out there.

Blair has been shit thus far, which has been my only argument.

simmo1

First Grade
I don't recall saying ellis would be shit.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=193494&highlight=ellis

Lote, well we've had one good season out of him. Verdict is still out there.

Bullshit. He played for f**king Australia, what more do you want. He has been unlucky with injuries that have had little to do with his age/fitness.

Blair has been shit thus far, which has been my only argument.

He's been somewhere around the middle in terms of performances. Always going to take him time to find his feet when we play a completely different game to the Storm. He will come good.

jasonl

Juniors
Does anyone really take notice of that senile, old, drunken fool?

If Tommy thinks we shouldn't sign him then that's just about the best possible argument FOR signing him.

I shared a cab with Raudonikis about 18 months back and found him to be one of the most thoughtful and errudite individuals in the game.

He's niether senile nor alcoholic and the fact that the mods dont slam you for this kind of shit is disgraceful.

Mason is toxic - pure and simple.

As a player he gained a rep on the back of Price, Ryan, O'Mealy and Asotasi.

A thug and an imbecile.

I watched the Raudonikis clip and coudn't agree more.

At the end of the day he's Captain Blood and you are ... what is it again? Hybrid Tiger?

lol

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I just cant see what he will offer that Moors or BMM cant do.

Mate, I'm not pleased with the thought, but I reckon he may give that bit of mongrel our forwards lack and need. BMM nor Moors cant do that, but yes they are good enough to be in the pack too or at least te interchange bench with Masoin if he is signed. I know he is a risk but its a chance for him and maybe the club too to restore the season before we get too far behind the leaders.

I dunno, would be happy if signed, and not unhappy is WT dont sign him.

Latest posts