What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W Mason

MadPie

Juniors
Please MU, Tommy is a dinosaur. Notice it is only the Tele who has quoted him?

That's because anything he says these days is usually stupid.

Tommy may act the clown and have an opinion about everything which isn't always welcome, but having heard him speak a couple of times he's nobody's fool.

The SMH quoted him in detail :-

He's not too old, he's only 32, but I don't rate the bloke. If he was well worth buying and you knew you'd get something good out of him, you'd probably consider it, because that's the way the game is today. But he wouldn't blow wind up Gareth Ellis's arse.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...options-too-20120320-1vi2a.html#ixzz1pjHJxsRR

Like his technical parlance lol. Still, im indifferent towards Mason. However i do blame the media for blow ups and beat ups re Mason, they have little integrity and low standards these days and will proably follow him around waiting for him to scratch his nut sack so they can claim he's a serial killer. Bad publicity would be half the concern. We are lacking someting upfront and our shallow depth has been found out. And basically the cupboard and market is bare for options. . No one can state for certian that he'll be good or bad, although there will be plenty of 'i told you so's.'

Its a coin toss at the end of the day, a sophisticated scientifically based business making decison tool thats commonly used. May the Force be with us.

Last edited:

N.C.

Juniors
When Mason said at the start of the season that he's ready for a comeback I quietly crossed my fingers. He would be a great addition to our forward pack. He'd be under all sorts of scrutiny and he's probably even dumb enough to f**k it all up for himself one way or another, but he is a great footballer and he is worth the risk.

As for Tommy Roudonikis, he's just cranky because Mason threatened to call a strike at Origin time once. He's had it in for him ever since... The sooner we forget all about Tommy, the better. Sorry Jase, but your cab ride anecdote, and call to moderation, has not moved me...

DanOz

Juniors
In my opinion, we dont need another back rower - and Mason is NOT a front rower. We also dont need someone that EVERY club he has ever played for has been glad to see the back of him. a 100% record on this must surely rule out coincidence, it is not that he is a criminal like Lui but more about his attitude having a divisive effect on the playing group and management I suspect - but my opinion is pure speculation of course, I have no actual knowledge of his indiscretions or otherwise, I just know that we have sufficient back rowers and I personally dont want him at the club. I would rather promote Bell to starting, Grout to the bench and ride the wave until Keith comes back.

jasonl

Juniors
NC, at the end of the day WT is a brand.

The effective narrative since 2005 is (fairytale or not) that of a lightweight, highly skilled team using asymmetric methods in order to defeat larger, more traditional style rivals.

And it worked.

Every skinny kid in the Western Suburbs could look to Benji Marshall or Brett Hodgson and that's what sold the jerseys.

Mason meanwhile was at the forefront of a movement that saw 'the family club' transmogrify into the dull, thugish and criminal (pack rape anyone?) outfit that they became.

That's what this buffoon brings to your brand.

Personally, I can't believe that Sheens - a man of considerable ego - will go for this. The message it sends is one of utter desperation and only highlights the twin disasters of Blair and Moltzen.

For management, the idea that Mason, in any way shape or form makes this a better club is nuts.

He was shot before he went to Easts and he's shot now.

And he's a dickhead.

Spot On

Coach
In my opinion, we dont need another back rower - and Mason is NOT a front rower. We also dont need someone that EVERY club he has ever played for has been glad to see the back of him. a 100% record on this must surely rule out coincidence, it is not that he is a criminal like Lui but more about his attitude having a divisive effect on the playing group and management I suspect - but my opinion is pure speculation of course, I have no actual knowledge of his indiscretions or otherwise, I just know that we have sufficient back rowers and I personally dont want him at the club. I would rather promote Bell to starting, Grout to the bench and ride the wave until Keith comes back.

You're 100% right there. He needs to work of the back of the go forward because he can't provide it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I shared a cab with Raudonikis about 18 months back and found him to be one of the most thoughtful and errudite individuals in the game.

He's niether senile nor alcoholic and the fact that the mods dont slam you for this kind of shit is disgraceful.

Mason is toxic - pure and simple.

As a player he gained a rep on the back of Price, Ryan, O'Mealy and Asotasi.

A thug and an imbecile.

I watched the Raudonikis clip and coudn't agree more.

At the end of the day he's Captain Blood and you are ... what is it again? Hybrid Tiger?

lol

I am entitled to my opinion just as Tommy is entitled to his.

The fact that he was a great player is irrelevant when deciphering the dribble that he sprouts these days.

N.C.

Juniors
NC, at the end of the day WT is a brand.
Sure. And it needs new stories year in and year out in order to keep reinventing itself.

The effective narrative since 2005 is (fairytale or not) that of a lightweight, highly skilled team using asymmetric methods in order to defeat larger, more traditional style rivals.
That story began and ended in 2005. It's ancient history now...

And it worked.

Every skinny kid in the Western Suburbs could look to Benji Marshall or Brett Hodgson and that's what sold the jerseys.
Nah it was the premiership that sold the jerseys. Then Brett and Benji had to make way for Lawrence who aint never been no skinny kid...

Mason meanwhile was at the forefront of a movement that saw 'the family club' transmogrify into the dull, thugish and criminal (pack rape anyone?) outfit that they became.
Forefront? Wasn't he just part of the pack? Certainly he's had his moments but I've never seen anything to convince me that he's more a leader than a follower - or any other thing for that matter. You can't single-handedly create a culture. You're even less likely to destroy what was there before you so you can replace it with your own, without a whole lot of other shit going on around you.

That's what this buffoon brings to your brand.
No, he brings a new story.

Personally, I can't believe that Sheens - a man of considerable ego - will go for this. The message it sends is one of utter desperation and only highlights the twin disasters of Blair and Moltzen.
It would have been better if we'd signed him at the start of the season. But I'm not sure you can call either Blair or Moltzen 'disasters' after only three games. As far as that goes I'd have expected a little more of a patient outlook from you...

For management, the idea that Mason, in any way shape or form makes this a better club is nuts.
I disagree entirely. It wouldn't be the first time we've offered someone a lifeline. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. That's no reason to hide from opportunity when it knocks.

He was shot before he went to Easts and he's shot now.
Or maybe he's not? A few years out of the spotlight might have done him some good. How will we know until he pulls on another jersey in the NRL, so we can judge him for what he is, not what we thought of him?

And he's a dickhead.
Irrelevant. I'm not introducing him to my sister, after all...

Last edited:

moller

Juniors
Mason is undoubtedly a dickhead, but despite what Tommy says we are desperate for another big body up front, and Mason is pretty much the only available option at this point.
Get him in and hope for the best re: disciplinary stuff IMO.
Sheens is the kind of mentor that may be able to get the best out of him (see: Utai, Matt).

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Mason is undoubtedly a dickhead, but despite what Tommy says we are desperate for another big body up front, and Mason is pretty much the only available option at this point.
Get him in and hope for the best re: disciplinary stuff IMO.
Sheens is the kind of mentor that may be able to get the best out of him (see: Utai, Matt).

Agreed.

Unless someone can point me to a better option that's cheap, fit, and available right now, I can't see what else we are supposed to do. Continuing on the current path is only going to lead to disaster. The Dragons forward pack isn't even anything overly special yet they murdered us.

The club went into the season two props short and is now paying the price.

Mason isn't a saviour and nor is he the answer to our problems, but surely, surely he could only help our forwards right now.

jasonl

Juniors
Sure. And it needs new stories year in and year out in order to keep reinventing itself.

That story began and ended in 2005. It's ancient history now...

Nah it was the premiership that sold the jerseys. Then Brett and Benji had to make way for Lawrence who aint never been no skinny kid...

Forefront? Wasn't he just part of the pack? Certainly he's had his moments but I've never seen anything to convince me that he's more a leader than a follower - or any other thing for that matter. You can't single-handedly create a culture. You're even less likely to destroy what was there before you so you can replace it with your own, without a whole lot of other shit going on around you.

No, he brings a new story.

It would have been better if we'd signed him at the start of the season. But I'm not sure you can call either Blair or Moltzen 'disasters' after only three games. As far as that goes I'd have expected a little more of a patient outlook from you...

I disagree entirely. It wouldn't be the first time we've offered someone a lifeline. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. That's no reason to hide from opportunity when it knocks.

Or maybe he's not? A few years out of the spotlight might have done him some good. How will we know until he pulls on another jersey in the NRL, so we can judge him for what he is, not what we thought of him?

Irrelevant. I'm not introducing him to my sister, after all...

NC,

I have the highest respect for you and have no wish to turn this into a petty fight.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one.

Sure, there might well be a lack of patience at work after dismissing Blair and Moltzen after only three rounds but if one looks at the St George tape carefully it's hard not to conclude that there are some glaring fundamental problems afoot.

What on earth were these guys doing in the off season?

As to throwing washed up players a lifeline, it's a noble thought but hardly a commercial reality.

Wests have a history of this kind of thing and the record is not pretty (think for example Craig Coleman and Des Hasler embarassing themselves in the jersey at the back end of their careers).

Will be happy to be proven wrong.

Meantime I have a nine year old son obsessed with football and WT and sometime over the coming weeks I will have to sit him down and explain exactly who Willie Mason is ...

... and what he is.

Sometimes there's more to it than football.

Peace bro,

Jase

leoc

Juniors
So now we have gone cold on Mason. Some will celebrate, I think that this is just another failing by the club. We are in desperate trouble and to me, Willie was a step in the direction of repair. Now they have decided that as a clube we can afford another year of mediocrity!! Oh well, at least it gave us something to discuss and more of what we saw against the dragons to come.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mason wouldn't take us on a better path. We just saved cash & possible controversy down the track

macnaz

Staff member
Of anytime in his whole career i think now is the time he WILL knuckle down and prove himself and want to leave the game on a high note.

Last edited:

Matchball

Bench
Really?

Sorry we're boring you Matchball.

Just went through your last six months worth of posts and there is not one worthwhile insight in the lot.

Just whiny, stupid nonsense.

Leave this discussion to the adults.

Your post history is much of the same snowflake.
I love armchair critics like yourself who never even picked up a ball.
Get over yourself.

meltiger

First Grade
This whole saga raises a bigger concern for me.

Regardless of whether you sit in the pro or con camp, FWIW I was for signing him, but is anyone else not concerned that decisions about on field staff are being made by the board as opposed to the coaching staff/recruiting team?

Shouldn't we leave that to those paid to be experts in the area?

Latest posts