What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion with Pete Nolan

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, because that worked brilliantly from 1991-1995.

That wasn't a focus on youth; it was hoping some appeared out of the local area.

Our current focus is on poaching junior talent from elsewhere and not just looking in our own backyard. As it should be.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the long term success of Parramatta and not Canterbury.

I've been through it a million times, but the academy is as much about keeping them as it is about development.

DeanPay98

Juniors
That wasn't a focus on youth; it was hoping some appeared out of the local area.

Our current focus is on poaching junior talent from elsewhere and not just looking in our own backyard. As it should be.

I've been through it a million times, but the academy is as much about keeping them as it is about development.

As a lawyer I'd prefer to rely on a simple contract, but I can see how an "academy" can also create binding legal obligations.

#I'mBeingSarcastic

At any rate, we have always developed juniors and recruited from elsewhere. Kearney is doing what every other Eels coach has done. The crucial difference is that he's doing it less well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The academy is about knowing which ones to 'take a risk' on, and offer them multiple year deals. Then you stay in the driver's seat by extending with a year to go, while offering an upgrade. The player can knock back the extension, but then he's stuck on low pay for that final year. How many 17 year olds would knock back a two or three year extension at $50k a year when they're only on $20k?

And Kearney/Nolan are doing what Smith/Cleal did, but don't pretend it wasn't neglected in the intervening years.

Kenny

Juniors
I wonder if Tim Moltzen is part of Nolans plans. He happened to be sitting with him at the game tonight. I guess it wouldn't be the most conspicuous place to hold contract negotiations though!

I wonder if Tim Moltzen is part of Nolans plans. He happened to be sitting with him at the game tonight. I guess it wouldn't be the most conspicuous place to hold contract negotiations though!

:shock: does tim have a relative playing at the eels? very surprising to hear he was there

Kenny

Juniors
:shock: does tim have a relative playing at the eels? very surprising to hear he was there

He lives with Matt Ryan. Still strange that of all the empty seats in the stadium he happened to be sitting with Nolan.

Good to see Kris Keating and Inu there too supporting their old team

bartman

Immortal
Bart, hopefully the below is what you are after.

Cheers for that MJC, must've missed that in my first read through the thread.

Glad that you're feeling confident in the direction. But - despite tonight's result - from Nolan's description of "structure comes first", I'm not as convinced that the direction/goal is entirely on as good a course as it could be (seeing as how long it's taken to simply adapt to a newly introduced structure), or maybe hasn't been implement as well as it could have been, or something?

bartman

Immortal
Still picking on your fellow fans instead of celebrating a win Suitchild?

No wonder some posts are so easy to miss, with crap like your last post in all of the threads here... :crazy:

Ratchy

Juniors
Why not because we all know when Parramatta lose their next game you'll back to beating the old drum

Ratchy

Juniors
Yep, because that worked brilliantly from 1991-1995.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the long term success of Parramatta and not Canterbury.

I dunno the current youth policy has landed players like Blair and Ryan who were unwanted from other clubs. So far there seems to be some steps in the right direction.

bartman

Immortal
Why not because we all know when Parramatta lose their next game you'll back to beating the old drum

Hey, if there's positive things to give credit about, I'm there. And when things aren't going so good, I'm there talking about that too. There's no point having fixed opinions imo, or in personally attacking fellow fans if they happen to have a different way of looking at things.

The ignore link is in my sig - feel free to click on it and follow the steps ;-).

bartman

Immortal
See bart, it's not just me that thinks you're a f**kwit.

Suity
Care factor Suity? You must've mistaken me for someone who cares about internet popularity :lol:.

And good to see that you're still focussed on celebrating a great Eels win, rather than crankily trying to score points on here over your fellow fans :thumn.

Keep on truckin' cranky pants :lol:.

Ratchy

Juniors
Hey, if there's positive things to give credit about, I'm there. And when things aren't going so good, I'm there talking about that too. There's no point having fixed opinions imo, or in personally attacking fellow fans if they happen to have a different way of looking at things.

The ignore link is in my sig - feel free to click on it and follow the steps ;-).

Don't flatter yourself in thinking your that much of an irruption for me to iggy you and I don't see anything on the post of a personal attack. It was more simply stating a fact which you didn't deny.

bartman

Immortal
If you can't be bothered ignoring me, then why be bothered posting to "play the person", rather than the issue being discussed?

If you want to fall in with those who spend more time picking fights with people on here, rather than discussing what's happening and enjoying the footy, then go right ahead mate. I won't remember your user name after I log out, sure as hell won't bring up whatever you say from different/old threads into a new discussion, and only reply to you if you quote me or respond to me like you did above.

Forget about the pettiness, and enjoy the win :D.