What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Stars rule experiment - rugby league lineouts.

ShaneO85

Juniors
If the ref's can't get the current rules (most of which have stayed the same for the past 30 or so years, since limited tackles - possibly longer, i'm not that old) why the hell would we confuse them even more?

I'd rather they tinker with in-goal refs, video review by on-field refs, sort out main/pocket ref, etc to figure out the most efficient way to control the game during trials and all stars.

p.s. revert to the old corner post rule! i loved watching smart wingers tip the post infield to reduce the room to score in the corner. (smart wingers being extremely rare and endangered species)

Eels Dude

Coach
14 forwards attempting to run onto the field at the same time... And we want the obstruction rule to be simplified...

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
There should be one land mine buried under the grass during every game.

Well, maybe we can have 50 or 60 of them when Manly play.

flamin

Juniors
To everyone saying go watch Union is you want lineouts: the OP isn't saying anything about a Union lineout. He's talking about all the forwards standing outside the field of play instead of having a scrum restart.

eozsmiles

Bench
Lineouts take longer to organise than scrums. And with the number of forward passes from dummy half, what are the chances the apex can toss the ball in straight?

Full marks for looking at new ideas but I don't reckon a lineout would work. I'd rather a scrum that the players were slower to break from, which would give the attacking team more time and space.

While we're talking of new rules and stuff, scrap the 10m back chat penalty and pinch an idea from GAFL. If you want players to behave themselves then a 50m penalty would shut them up quick smart.

2010Dragons

Bench
Bring back the biff in the scrums it will make the scrums worth watching again
Now a days the scrum is boring and predictable. .....CATTLE DOG!!!!!!.....smack, bang, wollop !!! this is what we need.

Loudstrat

Coach
I'll give you a few mintees for effort Dingbat. Its a hell of a lot better than a lot of SWR's ideas.

just bring back contested scrums

further to that, play the next all stars game with an old school rule book, before some dickhead screwed it up

guarantee the fans would love it

Titanic

First Grade
I want a ten minute settling-in period and the old jerseys back instead of the Sydney Mardi Gras version of today.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I'll stand by the idea. As an idea. Although I shouldn't have used the L word. Apparently that's LU's equivalent of yelling 'pro-gay marriage' in an American church.

But I think Saint Doc's point is valid - there'd be no way of dictating who would be a 'forward' or 'back'. And if the forwards are defending then you're wearing out the fast men which defeats the point.

And from my own thinking: the defending players would also have to be allowed to line up on their own try-line if they wanted to, to prevent knock-ons 10 metres in front of goal from being a gimme try. It would probably lead to most teams just lining up their seven other players on the try line for any 'scrummable offense' inside their own half. Essentially there would be a second wave of defense that shows up late to the play.

Might lead to some interesting broken play but it would only last for about a tackle.

<Shrug> It was an idea. But lucky I can have a reasoned argument with myself...

This would take away the tactical kick for the sideline in play. Another thing offered by an uncontested scrum is how it tests the urgency of the forwards to stop the clock