What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthread XLIV - honouring Raider_69

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDR

First Grade
I stopped going into the game day threads in the cricket forum, the average intelligence level in there is jaw-droppingly low.

I will sometimes make a post during a game, but I don't stick around long enough lest I witness another shit-slinging contest between two braindead imbeciles.

Hallatia

Referee
Lenny is preferable to Hal.

I usually don't respond to hal at all because it's not my name and whatnot, but nowadays I really don't care that much. I still don't like it but I'm not that bothered by it any more

thorson1987

Coach
Sigh, I've been drawn in. In poker, a wager is an investment. If you're good enough ever time you "wager" will be profitable over the long run. In other words, individually it may not be profitable every single time. But if you do the same thing 100/1000/10000 times you will come out ahead. That's an investment.

Just like with investing in the stock market, every time you buy (or wager) you might not come out ahead every single time but every time you buy you are guided by certain principles that will ensure you come out ahead over the long run.

In poker, for a long term profitable player, a wager is an investment.

Still gambling f**ktard.

As I said no matter which way you spin it, poker is gambling.

Hallatia

Referee
I stopped going into the game day threads in the cricket forum, the average intelligence level in there is jaw-droppingly low.

I will sometimes make a post during a game, but I don't stick around long enough lest I witness another shit-slinging contest between two braindead imbeciles.
I have stopped participating in Australia game day threads too, I don't mind so much before or after the games, but during the games people there are mad. I still have to moderate though. The non Australia game day threads are alright though. Significantly less participation but better discussion

Jason Maher

Immortal
You are such a dumb f**k if you couldnt tell I was taking the piss, you complete and utter doucheknuckle.

And there are a lot more easier, less expensive ways to try to be cool other then spending dozens of hours with a needle stabbing into your arm a gazillion times a second.

Fight me IRL.

No way mate, you'd kick my arse. You've got tats.

Also, where's CB and his lame 4chan memes when you need him?

Apey

Staff member
Personally I've always wondered why people call you Hala, and why you deem that acceptable, when you have two l's in your name. :crazy:

And as much as I hate engaging Bunniesman in any sort of meaningful way, last semester at University I did a course called Combinatorics, where the first topic was about (sophisticated) counting. Our lecturer was very famous in the field of Combinatorics, but his particular research was the Mathematics of gambling.

From his site: "The mathematics of gambling, in particular poker, is one of his continuing interests."

A list of his publications: http://people.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/publications.html

A list of his varying poker probability calculations: http://people.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/computations.html

I'm willing to gamble that he'd classify poker as gambling, and he has infinitely more knowledge than anyone here on the subject. I would be interested in what his position would be specifically though, maybe I should email him...

Jason Maher

Immortal
Some people (not many) make a living out of sports betting (including racing), despite the deck being heavily stacked against them (i.e. the house pays unders, in order to make a profit). This proves two things: what BM just said is bollocks, and sports betting in general is a game for mugs, and an incredibly stupid investment. Be better off pissing your money up in a pub. At least you get beer in exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.