What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

Murf

Juniors
This is my revised team based on the season so far, injuries permitting. Lets not lose fact NSW were 1 point and a Matt Cecchin QLD blow job in game one away from winning a series where we essentially had two away games. There's no need for wholesale changes.

FB) Gordon/Hayne (Gordon backup goal kicker)
LW) B Morris
LC) Jennings
RC) J Morris
RW) Hayne/Gordon (Gordon backup goal kicker)

FE) Carney (Third choice goal kicker in case of injury)
HB) A Reynolds (Goal kicker)

FR) Tamou
HK) Farah (vc) (Farah is playing the 80 minutes)
FR) Grant
LSR) Bird
RSR) Lewis (also the back line utility in case of injury)
LO) Gallen (c) (also a backup/rotation front rower)

INT) Merrin (Primarily front row/also a back row option)
INT) Woods (Front row)
INT) Watmough (Back Row/emergency front row)
INT) Graham (back row/halve utility)

18th man: Fifita, J Reynolds or Ryan James (give a young guy the experience of camp and game day and see if they can take their game to another level and/or be ready when they play in the future)

It's too soon back from injury for Tariq Sims. T-Rex is playing his way out of a jersey, but I still hold hope he may improve in time for game 1. I hate not picking Brett Stewart, but he is getting a bit too long in the tooth and has lost a fair bit of pace. It was also hard to leave Uate out of the team but he is another great option if someone else gets hurt, or goes T-Rex on us. Tim Mannah is also unlucky but we have some great props right now.

I think this team has everything required at this level, including 2 excellent goal kickers, to get the job done. Quality players, played in positions they excel in with plenty of balance. My only concern is our halves combination is obviously unproven and we may struggle if a back or Farah gets injured during a game. In my opinion this would be extracting the maximum out of NSW's resources.

Adam Reynolds should give NSW the short kicking game to put the blowtorch on the Qld goal line defence, even if his running game is very much a work in progress. Not a whole heap to chose from in that position so lets go with a guy who at least has a lot of things going for him.

Can someone fax this team to Daley please? My only change would be Grant, who hasn't exactly been killing it atm. Although he has been there before and that could be useful.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
No Michael Gordon is a joke. He's the most complete back in NSW, best goalkicker, excellent positioning, great support, elusive, defense. I don't see how Brett Stewart is a better option at all.

Because Stewart is better at all those things except goal-kicking.

Joker's Wild

Coach
say-what.gif

legend

Coach
I think Lewis may struggle and I agree with whoever said Merrin and Woods deserve a spot in the 17.

Maloney might get the nod because he can kick goals and he plays on a weekly basis with Pearce.

Revised side:

Stewart
Hayne
Jennings
Morris
Morris
Maloney
Gallen (c)
Bird
Hoffman
Tamou
Farah
Grant

Mannah
Merrin
Woods
Watmough

Spot On

Coach
:lol: A very poor understanding of the game is demonstrated by the need to support your argument with excerpts from the Daily Telegraph. I've had this argument multiple times before and Morris was culpable in both of Boyd's tries in the first game. I've even been through this debate in this thread.

Here

Here

Here

You disagree with what was written about Morris's performances do you???

In an ideal world Carney and Campese would be the best halves pairing. But in the current situation they should probably go with Pearce and Carney or Mullen and Carney. As long as Bird is nowhere near the halves they should be fine.

Doesn't matter how many times YOU have had to debate your point. You are wrong. You're not going to convince anyone other than yourself. Morris was one of our best last series. If you are going to sack a player who misreads in defence we won't have any players to run out for game 1 this year.

Campo?:crazy:

Aren't you the bloke who posted Matt Duffie was not at fault for the four tries Brisbane scored down his side a couple of weeks ago??

Morris will be there. Get used to it. Campo won't be. Carney will be very lucky to be selected.

Morris is the least of your worries mate.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
Surely Woods and Merrin have to be there this year, their form is undeniable

Yeah, Woods' form has been sensational..........as a fully-fledged PROP. This is significant.

I try not to watch Steelers games, so I don't. However, I see Merrin listed @ #13 in the Illawarra line-ups. What role is he playing? Middle third in attack and defence, or is he roving towards the fringes a bit more. This is significant because if he's playing exceptional in a role wider of the ruck this season, then this shouldn't be confused with the role he'll need to play if selected at prop which is to take on Scott - Shillo -Hannant - Myles/McGuire in Origin. It's different.

At the mo, I'd have Tamou-Grant-Woods-???? in the four man middle third rotation.

Bird and probably Watmough (not necessarily starting) would be two of my outside forwards. Need at least another one in the squad.

What role has Gallen played at Cronulla in the last season or two, and what role is he playing this year? My view on him playing prop in Origin is that he is undersized for the role. Despite all the hit ups and metres in the stats, he also becomes ineffective in the position for 80mins. In each game last year, the QLD made their run off the back of the momentum their props begin to generate in the 2nd half. Gallen needs to accept that if he is selected in the prop rotation (I wouldn't for reasons already stated), he has to take a spell for 15-20 mins. Fresh impact bodies in the middle is paramount.

isaiah

Bench
No Civenoceva, no Lockyer.

NSW 3 - 0

have you not watched much of the last 7 series?
if there is one thing we have done well, it is finding replacements for top players when injured or retiring.
there is obviously a long term plan in place and i'm guessing it even stretches into the current junior systems of most clubs.
cannot wait to see what a player like milford who debuted for the raiders on the weekend, grows to become

isaiah

Bench
just from today's selections, you can see the selectors going for:

stewart
hayne
jennings
j.morris
b.morris
maloney if carney is out
pearce
gallen
lewis
bird
tamou
farah
mannah

bench-
k.gidley
watmough
a.woods
merrin

i'm not too scared, 8 blot coming up

Probable team

Stewart
B. Morris
Jennings
J.Morris
Hayne
Carney
Pearce
Grant
Farrah
Tamou
Bird
Lewis
Gallen

Gidley
Watmough
Mannah
Woods

YAWNNNN

My Team

Jarryd Hayne
Brett Morris
Michael Jennings
Josh Morris
Michael Gordon/Akuila Uate
James Maloney
Todd Carney
Paul Gallen
Robbie Farrah
James Tamou
Luke Lewis
Anthony watmough
Greg Bird

Josh Reynolds
Tom Leroyd-Lahrs
Tim Grant
T.Williams

Tone83

Juniors
The best halfback nsw have is albert kelly and the best 5/8 is todd carney. There are a lot of reasons to not pick either, but at this stage they should probably just bite the bullet and lock them in.
Maybe adam reynolds over kelly this year only, kelly is gonna force his way in soon.