What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to go back to 14 teams

Why do we need to change a thing??

We just signed off on a record TV deal and crowds are up this season.

Less teams doesn't mean there won't be two or 3 teams struggling at the bottom of the ladder. By expansion and growing the game that is where we will find our extra depth from. We still have 100 Australian players in England with the extra funds in the game and a larger salary cap we will be able to keep most of those players. The game is going gangbusters ATM why do people feel the need to change something that is going well???

Because, for some people, the glass is always 1% empty. They're never happy unless they've got something to whinge about.

TheRam

Coach
Looking over all the teams in the NRL and every team has atleast 3+ players who are not NRL standards.Teams like Parra and Penrith have about 8.
I just dont think there are enough good players to go around for 16 teams.
We are getting maybe 2-3 games each week that could go either way and the rest are predictable before a ball has been kicked off which makes them almost un watchable.

I say Kick Melbourne and the Sharks out and have 14 teams.Play each other twice with no byes and Origin stand alone.

:lol::lol::lol:

You're an idiot.

Utey

Coach
Can something be done to prevent hindy111 starting threads???

Honestly, it's about the 100th 1star quality thread in the last month.

Advice: THINK before you post. Then write down (by hand) what you planned to post on a noteapd. Tear page off notepad. Put page in rubbish bin.
There, you've saved us all a few otherwise wasted moments of our lives.

Agreed, it's bad. Real bad.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was just thinking outside the box .They all say how they want to expand the game.
I think this years and last years quality has been rubbish.Apoligies for suggesting we get rid of a few clubs.
I was going to suggest two parramtta teams a blue one and a yellow but im guessn use all would laugh at that idea too

barney gumble

Juniors
Sad but true. And the only way to have a genuine reserve grade (with genuine adults capable of playing NRL if they have to) is to increase the size of the squad earning at least minimum salary.

At the moment only the top 25 are entitled to minimum salary, which means at most eight blokes earning the NRL minimum will be lining up for the second tier competition. That's not enough to justify that comp being treated as genuinely second tier.

Every club has about 35 blokes on its fulltime squad, but ten of those will be earning less than the minimum salary and therefore probably holding down a job as well as playing fulltime. Most blokes hit a certain age (and experience level) and get jack of such a lifestyle, but it's these blokes that we need our up-and-comers playing with and against each week.

Basically the game needs to accept the concept of fulltime professional players who will only ever be good enough to be NRL backups. The game needs such players (mostly filling reserve grade teams) in order to help develop the game's future stars. The people who really need to accept it are the star players, because the funding for these 'reserve squads' will have to come out of the (future) salaries of the game's top earners. The catch-22 is that it is the game's top earners who are responsible for the majority of the game's revenue.

The game needs fulltime squads of 35 players all earning enough money that they don't quit football and get a real job. This is the only way to have a genuine reserve grade competition.

Excellent post, very true.

barney gumble

Juniors
thinking outside the box .

I was going to suggest two parramtta teams a blue one and a yellow but im guessn use all would laugh at that idea too

Fantastic idea!

We get double the salary cap. That way we buy all the best players and stack up the blue team with quality, sacrifice the yellow team to the spoon by loading them up with duds.

Brilliant.

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
Looking over all the teams in the NRL and every team has atleast 3+ players who are not NRL standards.Teams like Parra and Penrith have about 8.
I just dont think there are enough good players to go around for 16 teams.
We are getting maybe 2-3 games each week that could go either way and the rest are predictable before a ball has been kicked off which makes them almost un watchable.

I say Kick Melbourne and the Sharks out and have 14 teams.Play each other twice with no byes and Origin stand alone.

in total agreement.

i blame the 3rd pary sponsorship rule we are going back to the silvertails days when the richest clubs could buy up all the best players and the rest of us got their leftovers

i blame the 3rd pary sponsorship rule we are going back to the silvertails days when the richest clubs could buy up all the best players and the rest of us got their leftovers

Our problems have very little to do with a lack of $$ to spend on players. Our recruitment and retention strategies have, for some time been ordinary, new coaches begin their career behind the 8 ball, our fans are amongst the biggest bunch of whingers on the planet, and we end up with a bunch of ad hoc pseudo-solutions to problems we haven't realised we've got. Apart from that, were doing ok.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Mate, we are one of the richest clubs.

The third party contracts are designed to keep players in the NRL. They're not allowed to decide which club they play for.

We are only struggling because player values are in flux due to the recent massive changes in the salary cap. Because of this, most clubs don't want to risk paying too much on contracts that are too long, and most players don't want to risk getting underpaid on contracts that are too long.

The end result is short contracts all round (apart from a couple of exceptions), with players mostly staying where they are until everyone (players, managers and the clubs) decide what each player is worth.

With players mostly staying where they are, the strong clubs stay strong and the weak clubs stay weak. It's got little to do with money - Manly, Cronulla and Canberra are in the top eight for the second straight year, and none of them are rich.

Last edited:
let me clarify i wasn't talking about the eels specifically with the 3rd party sponsorship i was referring to the OP's point about there not being enough good players to go around and seeing lopsided contests every week

hell without 3rd party sponsors i doubt jarryd would still be an eel

let me clarify i wasn't talking about the eels specifically with the 3rd party sponsorship i was referring to the OP's point about there not being enough good players to go around and seeing lopsided contests every week

hell without 3rd party sponsors i doubt jarryd would still be an eel

Fair enough, and very true. But I'm sure you'll understand why the end of the post where you said 'the rest of us get their leftovers' made it sound otherwise.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
The problem is that the game lives and dies on its popularity (i.e. fans). If you cut teams or force them to merge you lose fans.

It doesn't matter how rational a new set up is (and I agree there are too many Sydney teams) - supporting a team is an emotional experience (and therefore unrelated to rationality).

That explains it.

Are you taking medication to stay on top of this?

Latest posts