What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will not be silent about this

Western_Eel

Juniors
Guys i was just looking at the profiles on the RlWC website and in the team there are 11 out of 23 players who either born or are playing in the USA, also there are 2 (that i know of) in Paulo and Peterson who have played for the tomahawks in past games.

IMO that's Pretty good.
Is the real issue that there is no USARL players??

Evil Homer

Staff member
Guys i was just looking at the profiles on the RlWC website and in the team there are 11 out of 23 players who either born or are playing in the USA, also there are 2 (that i know of) in Paulo and Peterson who have played for the tomahawks in past games.

IMO that's Pretty good.
The issue is that the squad was selected by an Aussie and every player in the squad has some link to Australia, either by birth or parentage. The only legit Americans in the squad are Garvey (who currently plays in Australia) and Taylor Welch (who grew up in England and was only drafted into the squad as a late replacement).

Western_Eel

Juniors
Taylor Welch, Gabriel Farley, Kristian Freed and Michael Garvey were all born in the USA and play in the Amnrl
Craig Preistley was Born in AUS but plays in the AMNRL
Mark Offerdahl was born in the USA plays in France
Lelauloto Tagaloa was born in Samoa plays in the AMNRL
Roman Hifo Born in the USA and plays in NZ
Judah Lavulo and Clint newton were born in the USA and play in AUS
and Peterson and Paulo have both previously played in the Tomahawks side (there maybe more i dont know about)

So there's more than 6 players that spinner has asked for in the side

Steve Johnson also said last year that they may have as many as 12 USA born players in the world cup squad, well there's 8 so a few short

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ The WC profiles aren't accurate, for example the Howard brothers were born in the USA and aren't listed as such. Either way, Aussies who happened to be born in the USA are hardly relevant to what Spinner is talking about. None of the names you've listed are genuine American players, the only one is Garvey.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yeah, I know, and they aren't accurate. The status of each member of the squad has already been dissected on this thread. Either way, the birthplace of the players is irrelevant. The bottom line is that there's little to be achieved by selecting an entire squad full of Aussies at the expense of American players. Pretending that the inclusion of players who were born in the USA to Aussie parents and grew up in Australia somehow represents development is of no benefit to anyone.

I'll give the team credit, they've performed a lot better than I expected and have made a name for USA RL at international level, which has to be a good thing. But in terms of actual domestic development the impact is slim to none, whereas with the inclusion of a couple of legit American players the impact could have been much greater. They're running with a 22 man squad FFS following injuries and withdrawals, including a couple of legit American players in there even just as squad members would have done no harm to anyone and a massive amount of good for the sport in the USA.

joshreading

Staff member
I am happy that USA is going well in some regards but it has also highlighted the reality of the situation in interviews. The highlights of the Wales V USA game had 'USA' players highlighted. Not one american accent. I actually think there is only one American Accent in the team? Can anyone clarify this? (the guy born in the US, who lived in England and went back to the USA)

It is a little embarrassing to have not a single american accent. People are spotting it now on Facebook as well

Misanthrope

Staff member
For the average, extremely fickle US sports fan - surely success on the field is infinitely more important than a team full of local guys trying hard and losing every game 100-0?

Yes, for the development of the players this is not the best thing in the world, but for the growth of the game's image (and through it, a potential increase in player numbers) it's better to have a team perform well than have the right accent.

Evil Homer

Staff member
For the average, extremely fickle US sports fan - surely success on the field is infinitely more important than a team full of local guys trying hard and losing every game 100-0?

Yes, for the development of the players this is not the best thing in the world, but for the growth of the game's image (and through it, a potential increase in player numbers) it's better to have a team perform well than have the right accent.
The only problem with that is that the chances of the RLWC making any sort of impact in the USA are slim to none. I doubt anyone would really bat an eyelid in the USA even if they won the competition, the sports market is so saturated there. Meanwhile, the resources that we do have (current players) are left alienated and turned away from the sport. I think that a clear pathway for domestic players to international level is imperative and would be far more beneficial than any on-field success. That being said, I don't want an uncompetitive team and I'm enjoying the success of the current squad. It's just that the whole thing could have been so much better if they'd struck a balance, especially given that they've ended up with two free places in the squad. Two legit domestic players in there would have done the world of good.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Being Realistic the rules will probably not change for the 2017 WC, So imo i think the change needs to be either get rid of Steve Johnson and put in an american or make Johnson go to the USA and show him how talented some of the guys are

Boston13s

Juniors
Being Realistic the rules will probably not change for the 2017 WC, So imo i think the change needs to be either get rid of Steve Johnson and put in an american or make Johnson go to the USA and show him how talented some of the guys are

Yeah I think one of the things getting to the Americans here is that their 'national' team is being run by an Australian living in Queensland. I might be wrong but I don't believe there is even an American on the staff (Save the 2 'ambassadors' they have taken). Heck they even have a media guy there who they've shipped in from QLD. They guy is doing a decent job but surely they could have invited a US sports reporter along who would then be bought into rugby league from being on the trip and would have good contacts stateside to get more articles into the press here.

With regards to previous posts about nationalities. I believe the we'd clear a lot up by being able to ask each squad member a key question: "What is your nationality?" (Asking at the right point in time of course. Not in the midst of the World Cup). 90+% would surely answer Australian.

I'm supporting the boys all the way as a successful World Cup helps the credibility of the sport here but I think all anyone wants is a fair crack for real American players that put their bodies on the line for their clubs each year.

marv

Juniors
IMO that's Pretty good.

No, the real issue is pillocks on here think that USARL players without experience in high level leagues in Aus or the UK were good enough to mix it up here in the WC.

You would have thought results would have shut them up, but it seems they want to have a whinge about American accents now.

Of course you could say the same thing about ANY of the nations in the comp including everyones precious Wales and Fiji and it is a problem but hardly the end of the world given where International league is in its development.

marv

Juniors
Its great that they beat the Cook Islands but I'm pretty sure they will get more press in Canberra than California for it...

You could say the same about press in Wales and Wagga Wagga or Scotland and Sydney. Alliteration doesnt make them any different from the US i'm afraid.

RL is quite popular in Australia and not in USA or Scotland, that doesn't take away the efforts of these guys representing these countries.

RedVee

First Grade
The only problem with that is that the chances of the RLWC making any sort of impact in the USA are slim to none. I doubt anyone would really bat an eyelid in the USA even if they won the competition, the sports market is so saturated there. Meanwhile, the resources that we do have (current players) are left alienated and turned away from the sport. I think that a clear pathway for domestic players to international level is imperative and would be far more beneficial than any on-field success. That being said, I don't want an uncompetitive team and I'm enjoying the success of the current squad. It's just that the whole thing could have been so much better if they'd struck a balance, especially given that they've ended up with two free places in the squad. Two legit domestic players in there would have done the world of good.
I agree Evil.

TBH if Steve Johnson's KPI was to pick a squad to win a game, he has exceeded expectations no matter what we think of the situation. I must admit to being wrong as I doubted they'd win a game.

YANTO

Juniors
https://twitter.com/TheWiggles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81032WpTjDw#t=0

Someones has noticed the USA are doing OK...Aussie kids band that are also known in the US "The group has franchised their concepts to other countries, developed Wiggles sections in amusement parks in Australia and the US" so despite the doubters, people in the US are maybe now starting to take a little notice.At least millions of under fives will now be singing about the Tomahawks :)

gyallop

Juniors
The issue is that the squad was selected by an Aussie and every player in the squad has some link to Australia, either by birth or parentage. The only legit Americans in the squad are Garvey (who currently plays in Australia) and Taylor Welch (who grew up in England and was only drafted into the squad as a late replacement).

quick call the White House American Samoan is no longer a territory of the USA , get their rep out of congress...offerdahl's dad is a proud combat Vet who fought for his country like his son is now playing for it. He is over there now if you have the balls to say this disrespectful shit to the big mans face.

Evil Homer

Staff member
quick call the White House American Samoan is no longer a territory of the USA , get their rep out of congress...offerdahl's dad is a proud combat Vet who fought for his country like his son is now playing for it. He is over there now if you have the balls to say this disrespectful shit to the big mans face.
Pretty stupid answer as usual from you. I've not disrespected anyone, Offerdahl and the others were raised and learned the sport in Australia, that isn't an insult, it's a fact of life. They're doing great but an entire squad full of these type of players does little for domestic development, especially when there are two free spots in the squad that could have gone to legit American players and everyone would have been happy.

You've seen the reaction from actual American players on this thread so I don't know how you can question this at all.