What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

perverse

Referee
My favourite episode was probably Blitzgiving. Something just tickled my cl*t about the blitz. lol.

Bulldog Force

Referee
:lol: Yeah that was a funny one. Another one I remembered is when Teds friend from college comes over, the episode was called "Sparkles" where Robins friend from Canada comes to visit her. Her friend is played by Nicole Scherzinger. I can't believe I forgot about that... I split my sides laughing when Ted, Barney and Robin where watching that Beaver video :lol: :lol: :lol: Good times :)

Tommax25

Bench
I heard the series creators talk about The Pineapple Incident. At the end of that episode, future Ted says 'and we never did find out where that pineapple came from'. They always regretted writing that line because it meant they could never explain that mystery.

That's silly, they could easily have showed how it got there from the POV of a non-main character, thus showing the viewer how it got there but not the gang. Such as an ex of Ted sneaks in and puts it there for whatever reason and leaves.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That's silly, they could easily have showed how it got there from the POV of a non-main character, thus showing the viewer how it got there but not the gang. Such as an ex of Ted sneaks in and puts it there for whatever reason and leaves.

Yeah they could've done something easily instead of keeping us wondering. I think there may have been a few stories in the show that weren't closed.

Caged Panther

First Grade
For those wondering about the Pineapple incident, I was reading something the other day that said about 20 minutes was cut from the finale including something that at least went some way to explaining the pineapple. No doubt it will see the light of day at some point, probably in the DVD release.

Now to the finale and final season.

For me with all the build up to finding out who the mother was I never wanted the show to end at the point at which he Ted met her, I wanted to know something about her see a little about there relationship etc in that sense I thought the scene where you saw there first date was cool and it was also very well done how they were able to achieve that but keep the actual meeting right towards the end of the show.

Now as to everything that happened in the final I loved it but do understand why some people don't. You know in some ways it doesn't make sense that they have all this mystery and hype about who the mother is to find out that ultimately that she dies. It's predictable he ends up with Robin. And you can make a very strong case that the fact that ultimately Barney and Robin don't work out means that that whole storyline was just filler.

However as others have said in the end the show, at it's heart, has always been about the up's and downs and unexpected turns in life and the fact that often the best laid plans don't always work out. In that context everything that happened in the finale is perfectly plausible for me.

Throughout the series Ted's life never went to plan and the fact that he found his true love and then she died is just one last reflection of that and plays to that thing that's always been at the core of the show. It's sad but real.

With the Barney and Robin people fight tooth and nail, pretend they're people they aren't (Barney admits as much when he asks the gang to let him be him) burry their head in the sands that things aren't going to work get married, wake up to themselves and get divorced. Yeah there is definitely an element of filler to it doesn't change the fact that these sort of things really do happen.

As for Ted and Robin finally getting together (presumably) yep it's predictable but the circumstances in which it occurs are totally about another theme the show was heavy on at times, the importance of timing in life.

I walk aways satisfied because the finale did keep things in line with the overall spirit of the show.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Also just on How I Met Your Dad

I'm curious but expecting it to be a disaster that doesn't last much more than a season or two, unless they can dramatically mix it up somehow. In that sense I was happy to read that the lead character will be a recently divorced women. I think it means the central character will be coming at it from a very cynical, non idealised version of looking for the love of her life, compared to Ted. In fact it puts her in the situation where she could be almost the anti-Ted.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Caged Panther - love your detailed response mate. I also agree the part how you mentioned the finale was in tune with the overall spirit of the show.

I must say How I Met Your Father seems certain to fail. It's one of those spin-offs that will leech off the success of it's pre-predecessor, but ultimately fail. It's completely different too given the mother in this series is a divorcee and not someone looking for her soul-mate.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Caged Panther - love your detailed response mate. I also agree the part how you mentioned the finale was in tune with the overall spirit of the show.

I must say How I Met Your Father seems certain to fail. It's one of those spin-offs that will leech off the success of it's pre-predecessor, but ultimately fail. It's completely different too given the mother in this series is a divorcee and not someone looking for her soul-mate.

Tend to agree. At this stage they are only making a pilot but it seems extremely unlikely it wouldn't be picked up for a season I think it will struggle to go beyond that though. Only hope is that there is apparently a lot of fresh faces on the creative/writing side of the show.

There has also been a rumour that the women telling the story will be Barney's No 31. Lol funny idea.

Game_Breaker

Coach
For me, the biggest problem with the finale is not the episode itself, but the 2 seasons that preceded it. They're basically a write off, which isn't too bad because they were the worst seasons.

I've heard people say in their reviews that the finale was serving the earlier seasons of the show, not the later seasons. In fact, the finale could've easily worked at the end of season 7 with some minor adjustments (e.g. Barney/Robin divorce etc.)

Those last 2 seasons really had no purpose, the producers should've done a Jerry Seinfeld and told the network "screw you, the show needs to end now". Instead, they jumped the shark with Barney & Robin part 2.

Bulldog Force

Referee
For me, the biggest problem with the finale is not the episode itself, but the 2 seasons that preceded it. They're basically a write off, which isn't too bad because they were the worst seasons.

I've heard people say in their reviews that the finale was serving the earlier seasons of the show, not the later seasons. In fact, the finale could've easily worked at the end of season 7 with some minor adjustments (e.g. Barney/Robin divorce etc.)

Those last 2 seasons really had no purpose, the producers should've done a Jerry Seinfeld and told the network "screw you, the show needs to end now". Instead, they jumped the shark with Barney & Robin part 2.

That's pretty much what they had to do with the show even after 9 seasons - they approached CBS and said that the show had run it's course and they won't be renewing the toggle - but I think season 8 was ok. That's where it should've ended... and not with a Barney/Robin wedding or mothers death. Just end it normally. Too many sitcoms these days have something extraordinary happen when they end - people move (Boy Meets World, Friends) change (Becker... becomes happy?!), or something else. That's why I loved Everybody Loves Raymonds ending - after 9 seasons it ended like a normal episode of the crazy family we all grew to love.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Just finished watching the finale. I am satisfied. It had a few shocks and it does make sense. I liked this season. A lot of it reminded me of the good years.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I know. There's always the re-runs though. I want to watch that one with Robin and Glitter as the Space Teens :lol: never laughed so much during this show. That's when it was at its peak IMO.

gronkathon

First Grade
Vesuvius was on 7 last night.

That was a well written and touching episode.

I have decided to watch through to the end again and see if I feel any differently

Latest posts