What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: Centenary Test :: Australia v NZ @ SCG

Centenary Test Result :: Australia v New Zealand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abpanther

Staff member
Or should that read heart? Fa'alogo, Pritchard and Smith are good club players, but just don't have it at this level, Pritchard in particular does absolutely f**k all, and goes missing when things are looking bad. He's got no heart for a battle.

Are you serious? Did you actually watch the game? I thought Pritchard was one of the kiwis best on the field after SBW.

ash the bash

Juniors
I enjoyed the game. I loved the occasion (100 yrs, old jersey designs and colours, SCG, Centenary Team parading around the ground, ect). But I have to say one thing pissed me off no end.

The one minute's silence in honour of Jack Gibson who died today wasn't silence. It is meant to be a mark of respect for someone who has died, yet throughout the entire minute tonight there was people shouting things, hootin' and hollerin', ect. That was an absolute disgrace. What a bunch of disrespectful f**kwits.

To be fair, I was at the ground did not hear any announcement no one around me new why everyone was standing up?? It was a bit confusing the Ground should have done a better job of announcing it. Absolutely disgraceful thou if people knew yet were still talking...

AILD

Bench
really enjoyed the first half...second half, there was more action off the field then on it.

must agree with the poster re: the minute silence, that was disgraceful. im not sure how you couldnt hear the announcement tho...it was pretty loud.

and what about the streaker? i got an awesome shot on vid camera of the palm he did on the security gaurd that put him on his ass...brilliant stuff.

Scottey

Juniors
How did Gaz make the aus team? He has done nothing special all year

seriously reputation speaks louder than form

Nothing special all year?
Bit harsh considering we're only 8 weeks in.
You can't leave him out.

Reputation speaks louder than form?
Experience speaks louder than inexperience.

nadera78

Juniors
Are you serious? Did you actually watch the game? I thought Pritchard was one of the kiwis best on the field after SBW.

In the first half the Kiwis were stuck in their own half for almost the entire 40 minutes. They struggled to get out of their own 20 metres at times. And how often did Pritchard put his hand up and take on a share of the workload? He was nowhere to be seen.

Second half and they get a bit of momentum, and suddenly Pritchard wants to get involved.

He's a fair weather player, and exactly what NZ don't need when playing against Australia or England. He's got no stomach for a fight, and lets other players do his work for him. It's easy to look good doing it that way; avoid the action when things are bad, so no-one sees you being put in a difficult position (where you're more likely to make a mistake) and then get involved at the glory end of the field with one or two runs against a defence on the back foot and suddenly you look like you're having an impact.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
In the first half the Kiwis were stuck in their own half for almost the entire 40 minutes. They struggled to get out of their own 20 metres at times. And how often did Pritchard put his hand up and take on a share of the workload? He was nowhere to be seen.

Second half and they get a bit of momentum, and suddenly Pritchard wants to get involved.

He's a fair weather player, and exactly what NZ don't need when playing against Australia or England. He's got no stomach for a fight, and lets other players do his work for him. It's easy to look good doing it that way; avoid the action when things are bad, so no-one sees you being put in a difficult position (where you're more likely to make a mistake) and then get involved at the glory end of the field with one or two runs against a defence on the back foot and suddenly you look like you're having an impact.

Most of the time i would agree with you

However, last night was different. He really made an impact off the bench (Remember he was off the bench he wasn't starting) in both halves. He didn't make any errors will ball in hand and made good metres and his defense looked much improved.

EDIT - Gasnier proved again last night how overrated he is. If he wasn't related to Reg Gasnier and wasn't a New South Welshman - he wouldn't be nearly as hyped. Sure he is big and he is fast but he attempts to throw the miracle ball way too often. The annoying thing is he good be a lot better than he is. He just doesn't seem to have a great deal of football sense. As a Kiwi fan alot of your team really scares me - he isn't one of them. Ditto Mason.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Defence was the difference.

Aussies scored 3 very soft tries and then 2 more from kicks. Granted the were two of the better kick tries ou're likely to see but kicks nonetheless.

On the other side the Aussies goal defence saved 3-4 lmost certain tries.

Godz Illa

Coach
EDIT - Gasnier proved again last night how overrated he is. If he wasn't related to Reg Gasnier and wasn't a New South Welshman - he wouldn't be nearly as hyped. Sure he is big and he is fast but he attempts to throw the miracle ball way too often. The annoying thing is he good be a lot better than he is. He just doesn't seem to have a great deal of football sense. As a Kiwi fan alot of your team really scares me - he isn't one of them.
lol It seems the Kiwi backs felt the same way - to their detriment. He made more line breaks than the entire Aussie backline.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
lol It seems the Kiwi backs felt the same way - to their detriment. He made more line breaks than the entire Aussie backline.

He made 2 linebreaks

One of them he bombed by throwing a stupid flick pass.

Not sure where his defense was in the second half when SBW/Soliola/Perret were attacking.

Godz Illa

Coach
A low-percentage pass, big deal. Not like we were in golden point time.

SBW attracts defenders, one of the reasons he is one of the best players in the game.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
A low-percentage pass, big deal. Not like we were in golden point time.

SBW attracts defenders, one of the reasons he is one of the best players in the game.

Fair enough. I just don't think he is the best centre in the world and last night didn't change my opinion.

Godz Illa

Coach
Also don't forget he is a right centre - played there his whole career - but played on the left last night. I remember people making excuses for Hodges a few years ago when he was forced to play on the left for Australia and produced less favourable results.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I can't understand the stuff Gasnier cops, superb player. As i kiwi fan i can tell you that he certainty worries me every time we play Australia

Dazzat

First Grade
Gasnier went well last night except for a couple of stupid passes. Hodges dropped the ball when he was going to score. Gasnier had the better game, but Hodges is still the better player over all ... when you consider attack and defence.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Funny how after 20 mins the Aussies looked totally superior and unmatchable, yet after 80 the Kiwis and Poms were thinking that they must be in with a real shot. Inglis' rendition of Nadia Cominence (sp) was awesome, but after 80 he and Folau showed they have a lot to learn about wing play. Gasnier was the best Aussie 3/4, but Soliola was better still. After the first 20 mins, SBW and Halatau had blinders, and Isaac Luke showed that experience will make him one of the Kiwi greats.

Slater aside, I was dissapointed in the last hour that Australia offered. Compared to Halatau in the middle, the Aussie pack were crap. And compared to SBW, the Aussie ball playing was sad. Defninitely missed Heather's ball playing, but that's what happens when he doesn't get a chance to rest his dodgey knees.

Mason was sh*t. So was Webb. So was Topou. Together, their effort fell short of what Hindy would have done in one half alone. Let alone Laffranchi, or a dozen or so other forwards in the NRL - Thaiday, O'Meley, Ryles, ect. As for Lockyno1's quip "What has Hindy done this year"? Answer - about 100 times more than Lockyer. Or our selected wingers for that matter.

Hoffman as our best forward. Slater our best back.

NSW will field a better side than Australia did last night.

And I echo the thoughts on Asotasi's leadership. Without the burden, he's the games best prop. He's no Rueben Wiki. Casting around for alternatives, with SBW already with immense pressure on his shoulders, maybe a fit Kidwell could do the job?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Wasnt it great to see the legends in a lap of honour, it got the crowd really interesting and pumped up, part of history.

Alehana

Juniors
I didn't see the game (coz ch 9 full od d!ckheads), but when i frst heard the scoreline i thought, aus is going to kill at this rlwc and for a long time into the future. but after reading some comments seems as though NZ with help with injuries, full strength squad (something we havent seen in a while) would really challenge australia,
from what i've read it seems nz could have easily won the match with the amount of ball they had, it just came down to the halves (lance is a fullback, as soon as he came in i knew aus would win) (tomas would have played better had he had a few more days same with brent) the kicking game (well what do u expect from those halve combinations) and generally the boucne of the ball didn't go kiwis way, (i dont know for sure, but i heard there was a penalty to NZ for obstruction or something right b4 gas' try, and (i havent seen it) but apparantely smith did double movement b4 he scored) and luke shoud have scored when he made the break, and that flukey ingles pass which lead to that try was amazing) if nz tidy up their goal line defence (something not that hard to do) get their kicking game right (with stacey i think they can) and get their defence in general play together (with bennet) and stephen to inspire them, and with a bit of luck good ref calls and a better first 20 mins, all these factors can contribute to a big NZ win over australia.

Altho i'm dissapointed with the result, its better than last time, altho we may not win rlwc, i think in a few years time, nz will be back at the top of international RL.

i got my prediction right aus by over 12 but less than 20.

JoeD

First Grade
That game left me confused. I can't decide whether

a) nz were sh*t and got blown off the park in the first 20 minutes, after which Aust. took their foot off the pedal and coasted to victory

OR

b)NZ were unlucky in the first 20. Gas's try via a superman like Inglis was once in a lifetime and Smith should have been penalised for a double movement. Take those two tries out of it and there is nothing between the 2 teams, which showed in the last 60.

Which one was it? Should this be a poll question?

Simo

First Grade
That game left me confused. I can't decide whether

a) nz were sh*t and got blown off the park in the first 20 minutes, after which Aust. took their foot off the pedal and coasted to victory

OR

b)NZ were unlucky in the first 20. Gas's try via a superman like Inglis was once in a lifetime and Smith should have been penalised for a double movement. Take those two tries out of it and there is nothing between the 2 teams, which showed in the last 60.

Which one was it? Should this be a poll question?

Bit of both Joe.

NZ at 6-0 down would have been different had Issac Luke not been cut down by Billys great tackle.

But you let in so many soft tries that I would say you were just sh*t and we took off the pedal.

There were some embarrisingly soft tries for a test match.

Latest posts