What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: Centenary Test :: Australia v NZ @ SCG

Centenary Test Result :: Australia v New Zealand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Once Dead

Bench
Freakin' Leuleui.......is his repeated selection in the face of countless crap performances a practical joke?

I honestly don't know why the idiot didn't get the hook off the back of Halatau and Luke's work out of dummy half.......at least they made a break.

As long as Leuleui is in the New Zealand team at half then New Zealand simply won't win anything.......

pcpp

Juniors
Good result in the end. 28-12 is respectable. Last 60 minutes proves that NZ could possibly beat Australia.

The thing i'm most happy about is that it didn't singlehandedly destroy the international game and the World Cup as we know it.

Dragon

Coach
Chin up NZ. I thought the 2nd half showed what a bit of determination and urgency can do for your mob. Need to find some halves quickly though, absolutely terrible

Blake

Juniors
That's because the Aussies were told not to embarass them. Hold out and do it at the world cup. Actually, embarass the English - the Kiwi's won't get to the final.

Billythekid

First Grade
Whilst it wasn't a great performance i really think a full strength side could challenge Australia. Get Inu in there for Webb who had a shocker. Benji in for Hohaia who had a shocker. Roberts in for Leuleui who had a shocker. Vatuvei in for Perrett who had a shocker. Dump Cayless for Lima. Hopefully get Asotasi to play a full game also. Finally tell Pritchard to roam around the park. He is so devastating with the ball but he just never gets it.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Whilst it wasn't a great performance i really think a full strength side could challenge Australia. Get Inu in there for Webb who had a shocker. Benji in for Hohaia who had a shocker. Roberts in for Leuleui who had a shocker. Vatuvei in for Perrett who had a shocker. Dump Cayless for Lima. Hopefully get Asotasi to play a full game also. Finally tell Pritchard to roam around the park. He is so devastating with the ball but he just never gets it.

Perrett and Cayless were 2 of the Best.. (well the best of the rest behind SBW)

Webb shouls stay at the back it didnt help him having sh*tty Halves...

christopher

Juniors
30 minutes in and my mates were smsing me, ripping into me about nz.

We played terrible in the opening 20.

but i give the boys credit. despite the loss i have a small smile on my face because the boys showed they can hang with aus. we need halves if we are too beat them though.

geez nz looked nervous in that opening twetny. things like almost dropped ball, not making good contact in the tackle. there was no intensity from the boys.

on a sidenote, the nz anthem and haka was one of the best ive ever seen from any code.

need marshall and roberts or someone else beyond leluai and hohia. hohia is not a ball player. he's a good runner and thats it. leluai left the warriors cause he was about to get the chop. he is a confidence player, who only thrives in a dominant forward pack. if the match is even, he offers nothing.

that right side, with williams, soliola and perrett looks good. nightingale was solid but vatuvei has to replace him. sa was good too but inu has to replace him. but sa can take a spot on the bench.

webb did nothing tonight but its a big ask for him to come over to a complete diff standard etc and play well.

no one stood out from aus.

the first and last try to aus were fantastic as was soliolas effort.

well done nz and lets hope there are no injuries for the world cup. we need Marshall, Inu, Vatuvei, Ropati, Roberts, Hape, Tuiaki in the squad. and the first three must be in the first 13 for us to have a hope.

oh and how good was SBW and people say he is overated. best player on the park.

christopher

Juniors
great effort on the crowd.

sure one to two thousand were freebies but thats still 30 thou plus. good stuff. well done sydney

flamin

Juniors
Sonny Bill Williams = oustanding

Melbourne backs were brilliant. Though Australia shouldn't be pleased with the last 60 minutes. They really should have put New Zealand away after that opening but dropped off in intesity.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
yeah crowd was good, pretty vocal as well, imagine if GB was playing tonight.

Australia played well, but their best in the second half, but defensively it was brilliant. Some of those tackles on the goal line were outstanding, add to that Inglis' effort in the ingoal, how did he do that?

I thought after it was 22-0 it was going to be a floggin, but the NZL bench players stepped up I thought.

No doubt they'll get back Marshall back, but still need that creativity in the halves, there's simply no talk, but Webb and Luke did alright in attack.

Lookin forward to the opening game of the WC, lets hope we can get the same sort of crowd, if not better.

Lowdown

Juniors
whats funny?

gallen was head and shoulders above any other forward for australia tonight.

That's fugging hilarious. I think you'll fine Cameron Smith was head and shoulders, plus another 50m, above any other player on the park.

FFS - 50 tackles, a try, and a kicking game that tore NZ to shreads in the first half.

The only reason Australia had a quieter game in the second half, was that Thurston did more kicking in the second half...much to the Kiwis delight as he managed to single handedly kick it down their throats.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
As a kiwi supporter I can't say I'm to disappointed with that. One off tests are always difficult. Perhaps more for the Kiwis who don't have Origin combinations to give them at least a little bit of understanding between each other.

If the 2004/2005 Tri-Nations showed us anything it's that the Kiwis are a harder proposition when the've had 1-2 games playing together. I think that'll be the case for the World Cup. Doesn't mean they'll win of course but the'll be a bit more competitive.

The biggest difference was class. When the Aussies were given the opportunity they had the finishing touches to put it away. Kiwis just didn't have the finishers out there.

Having said that, at full strength Marshall, Inu, Vatuvei, and possibly Ropati and Roberts do have some finishing ability. Full strength would be the key words though. Keep Bennett on for the World Cup and get NZ at full strength and we've got an exciting competition coming up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame they can't get another game or two later in the year against PNG or Tonga to prepare a bit more. They looked like a team of strangers at times.

Nuke

Staff member
I enjoyed the game. I loved the occasion (100 yrs, old jersey designs and colours, SCG, Centenary Team parading around the ground, ect). But I have to say one thing pissed me off no end.

The one minute's silence in honour of Jack Gibson who died today wasn't silence. It is meant to be a mark of respect for someone who has died, yet throughout the entire minute tonight there was people shouting things, hootin' and hollerin', ect. That was an absolute disgrace. What a bunch of disrespectful f**kwits.

nadera78

Juniors
Interesting second half. SBW was immense, far and away the best player on the pitch. The halves were poor for NZ, Leuluai looked a hot prospect at 18 but just hasn't developed at all, same goes for Hohaia. The backs were decent for NZ, but it's the forwards that are a worry.

Whenever NZ has had a decent team capable of challenging the best ti has been based upon a pack of tough forwards who were determined to go all out and destroy their opponents. this team just hasn't got that sort of attitude. Or should that read heart? Fa'alogo, Pritchard and Smith are good club players, but just don't have it at this level, Pritchard in particular does absolutely f**k all, and goes missing when things are looking bad. He's got no heart for a battle. And Luke (very good in attack) was to blame for two tries right on their own line.

Roy Asotasi (and this is obviously not based on tonight, but is a long running bugbear of mine) just is not a captain. Great player, but not a leader.

lotti

Bench
Kearney probably read the Kiwis the riot act at half time, he's heard Bellamy do it to the Storm a few times.