What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: R21 Fri :: Sea Eagles 30 Panthers 10 @ Brookvale

Round 21 Result :: Sea Eagles v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

man-main.jpg
v
pen-alt.jpg

MANLY WARRINGAH
1 Brett Stewart, 2 Michael Robertson, 3 Steve Bell, 4 Steve Matai, 5 David Williams, 6 Steve Menzies, 7 Matt Orford ©
8 Brent Kite, 9 Matt Ballin, 10 Josh Perry, 11 Luke Williamson, 12 Glenn Hall, 13 Glenn Stewart

Interchange: 14 Heath L'Estrange, 15 Mark Bryant, 16 Adam Cuthbertson, 17 Jack Afamasaga
Reserves: 18 Jeff Robson, 19 Phil Morwood

PENRITH
1. Rhys Wesser 2. Brad Tighe 3. Michael Jennings 4. Maurice Blair 5. Michael Gordon 6. Wade Graham 7. Luke Lewis
8. Tony Puletua 9. Luke Priddis 10. Petero Civoniceva (C) 11. Frank Pritchard 12. Trent Waterhouse 13. Nathan Smith

Interchange: 14. Matthew Bell 15. Junior Moors 16. Joseph Paulo 17. Masada Iosefa
Reserves: 18. Frank Puletua​

Referee
ref-green.jpg
Shayne Hayne
Sideline Officials: Chris James & Russell Turner; Video Referee: Steve Clark​

Schedule
Gates 2:30pm -- NSW Cup 2:40pm -- Toyota 5:15pm -- NRL 7:35pm​

Related Matches
Toyota Cup R21 Sea Eagles v Panthers @ Brookvale, Fri 5:15pm
NSW Cup R17 Manly v Bulldogs @ Brookvale, Fri 2:40pm
NSW Cup R17 Windsor v Balmain RE @ Windsor, Sat 6:00pm​

08-r21game1.jpg

Last edited:

Rovelli

Bench
Manly need a few of their troops back. That said, I can still see them holding out the dangerous Panthers side. But boy, it will be close either way.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers by 18? No way. Not with Manly coming off a big loss.

If we win, it will be a close game. Manly are a great defensive team, and Panthers are going to have to really work to win this one.

cupid

Juniors
If Manly get some of their troops back + home ground I think we will win by 6

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Yes mx, panthers by 18. Manly showed on Sunday that there left side defense is very vulnerable when the opposition shifts the ball quickly, and this is what penrith are starting to do. They are getting quick clean ball to their big mobile second rowers and to their quick centres and will tear manly apart out wide on friday night.

Also penriths biggest liability is their defense around the ruck. Manly do not have a quality hooker who is quick enough nor smart enough to exploit penriths weak ruck defense, if you watch the games the panthers struggle in it is against oppositions with hookers who love to run the ball who carve penrtih up (ennis twice, gidley etc) but manly with ballin or whoever they play there wont have the same affect as they dont run as much and arent as smart, thank god monagahan isnt still there or he would have a field day.

Penriths lateral movement form their forward pack is also getting better every week. Without carrying players like Brendan Worth (the big slow lazy type forwards) their lateral defense with the likes of Pritchard, Waterhouse, Petero, Smith and now Maurice Blair playing in the forwards is ever improving and this will take away from the Sea Eagles pet play of an inside ball from one of their halves to their backrowers (Watmough and Stewart) who try and catch out the slow lateral moving defenders.

Panthers by 18
I totally agree. Manly have nothing without Monaghan, and are very lucky to be coming first, Penrith should be there instead.

Penrith by 24.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Yes mx, panthers by 18. Manly showed on Sunday that there left side defense is very vulnerable when the opposition shifts the ball quickly, and this is what penrith are starting to do. They are getting quick clean ball to their big mobile second rowers and to their quick centres and will tear manly apart out wide on friday night.

Also penriths biggest liability is their defense around the ruck. Manly do not have a quality hooker who is quick enough nor smart enough to exploit penriths weak ruck defense, if you watch the games the panthers struggle in it is against oppositions with hookers who love to run the ball who carve penrtih up (ennis twice, gidley etc) but manly with ballin or whoever they play there wont have the same affect as they dont run as much and arent as smart, thank god monagahan isnt still there or he would have a field day.

Penriths lateral movement form their forward pack is also getting better every week. Without carrying players like Brendan Worth (the big slow lazy type forwards) their lateral defense with the likes of Pritchard, Waterhouse, Petero, Smith and now Maurice Blair playing in the forwards is ever improving and this will take away from the Sea Eagles pet play of an inside ball from one of their halves to their backrowers (Watmough and Stewart) who try and catch out the slow lateral moving defenders.

Panthers by 18

Some very logical reasons as to why penrith can win. I still don't think they will though.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Glenn Stewart is the key

If he is there, we will defend pretty well on that side (although Lyon is a huge loss, but should be negated by Beaver defending that side too). If he isn't Pritchard and Jennings could really tear us apart

I think both Stewart and Watmough will be playing, i read somewhere that the only reason they didn't play yesterday was due to the 5 day turnaround, if it had have been a bit longer they probably would have played

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Glenn Stewart is the key

If he is there, we will defend pretty well on that side (although Lyon is a huge loss, but should be negated by Beaver defending that side too). If he isn't Pritchard and Jennings could really tear us apart

I think both Stewart and Watmough will be playing, i read somewhere that the only reason they didn't play yesterday was due to the 5 day turnaround, if it had have been a bit longer they probably would have played
Hope you're right, cause i heard from a reliable source that Watmough had to have surgery to remove a floating bone in his knee and wont be back until the Storm game.

choc_soldier

Coach
I have nightmares when I think of our recent history at Brooky.

This has all the potential to be a cracker TBH.

Downie

Guest Moderator

Panthers by 18

Ballin and L'Estrange are MUCH better at exploiting teams around the ruck than Monaghan ever was. Monagahan was a half-playing-hooker and he was average for the first 80 metres of the field, mainly due to his slowish service from dummy half. Ballin gives exceptionally crisp service and loves to pick out offside markers. He's a reason why Kite and Perry have been doign so well this year.

Who would be most likely to be defending out on the Panthers' right side? Matai has probably been our best in the last month or so and has been making plenty of breaks. With Watmough hopefully back next to him they'll be a major focus of our attack.

Manly won't lose 2 in a row (hopefully!). Manly by 16 ;-)

Sleep

Juniors
Huge test for the Panthers and incredibly important game. The Manly/Panthers game last year was one of the best all season. Here's hoping the result is replicated.

Terry-Randal

Juniors
all Depends if Manly can get their players back i know they wont have watmough, Bani,Lyons,King and maybe no williamson looks like manly may end this season in 4th place what an anti climax it would be

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Hope you're right, cause i heard from a reliable source that Watmough had to have surgery to remove a floating bone in his knee and wont be back until the Storm game.

Your source seems to be correct

MANLY SEA EAGLES
1 Brett Stewart, 2 Michael Robertson, 3 Steve Bell, 4 Steve Matai, 5 David Williams, 6 Steve Menzies, 7 Matt Orford ©, 8 Brent Kite, 9 Matt Ballin, 10 Josh Perry, 11 Luke Williamson, 12 Glenn Hall, 13 Glenn Stewart

Interchange: 14 Heath L'Estrange, 15 Mark Bryant, 16 Adam Cuthbertson, 17 Jack Afamasaga; Reserves: 18 Jeff Robson, 19 Phil Morwood

mxlegend99

Referee
If the Panthers show up looking for an upset, this game should be awesome. Manly are a great team, and Panthers can play great footy on their day. Should be some good match ups between Wesser/Stewart, Gordon/Williams, Jennings/Bell, Matai/Pritchard etc.

That's assuming Matai and Pritchard are on the same side of the field.