What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: R26 Fri :: Broncos 24 Knights 2 @ Suncorp

Round 26 Result :: Broncos v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

bri-her.jpg
v
nwc-main.jpg

BRISBANE
1. Karmichael Hunt 2. Darius Boyd 3. Joel Moon 4. Justin Hodges 5. Denan Kemp 6. Darren Lockyer (c) 7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant 9. Michael Ennis 10. Joel Clinton 11 Corey Parker 12. Sam Thaiday 13. Tonie Carroll​

Interchange: 14. David Stagg 15. Ashton Sims 16. Greg Eastwood 17. Nick Kenny​

NEWCASTLE
1. Kurt Gidley (c) 2. James McManus 3. Junior Sau 4. Adam MacDougall 5. Wes Naiqama 6. Jarrod Mullen 7. Scott Dureau
8. Matt White 14. Matt Hilder 10. Ben Cross 11. Steve Simpson 12. Cory Paterson 13. Mark Taufua​

Interchange: 15. Jesse Royal 16. Chris Bailey 17. Danny Wicks 18. Chris Houston
Reserves: 19. Richie Fa'aoso​

Referee
ref-purple.jpg
Tony Archer
Touch Judges: Alan Shortall & Tony De Las Heras; Video Referee: Tim Mander​

Related Matches
Toyota Cup R26 Broncos v Knights @ Suncorp, Fri 5:20pm
NSW Cup R22 Western Suburbs v Central Newcastle @ Campbelltown, Sat 3:00pm​

08-r26game2.jpg

Last edited:

Rovelli

Bench
Newcastle should win this one. I say this from the bottom of my heart. Broncos are the most over-rated team around. Forget Manly being over-rated. Brisbane get that award. I hope for the Warriors sake that they pull one out of the fire, so we get a chance to play in the finals again.

perverse

Referee
this will be the game of the round, and possibly the game of the season if brisbane bring the pain (like i expect them to).

Jono078

Referee
Broncos have their full squad available I think. Will be a tough game.

I don't know how much energy we used up on the weekend but hopefully we have enough to get over the Broncos and secure our spot in the playoffs.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I expect this to be a very intense game,the Broncos obviously know that what they did against the Bulldogs was very ordinary.
It's up to them,and on the flipside the Knights will be intense and confident.

In saying that though the Broncos won't drop their bundle if the Knights dominate like the Storm did - I think it'll probably be a late Broncos try(either after being tied for a long time or being in front but fighting off a constant of Knights attack) to seal it.

Rovelli

Bench
This is definitely the game of the round.

Two great, proud clubs going head-to-head, with Brisbane having a chance at 4th if the Dragons beat the Chooks; they won't lie down.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Ahh so much to play for, Brisbane farewell Wayne and Tonie in front of what I expect to be a big crowd. Should be an absolute belter.

JW

Coach
Newcastle should win this one. I say this from the bottom of my heart. Broncos are the most over-rated team around. Forget Manly being over-rated. Brisbane get that award. I hope for the Warriors sake that they pull one out of the fire, so we get a chance to play in the finals again.

Who's rating us though, mate? Our season has been stuck in first gear for months, with only a flying start to the year keeping us in the 8 - which has probably warped perception as to how we are really travelling.

Let's be honest - barring any sudden and significant form reversal we will simply be making up the numbers in two weeks time. No momentum whatsoever, not a single quality 80 minute performance since about Round 3 and a forward pack that are collectively playing with a depressingly soft attitude at this time of the year.

I'd love us to be a chance, naturally, and we have the individuals who are capable of keeping us in contests despite the team's overall shyteness. But it won't be enough to get us within kooee of some of the more fancied opponents.

renouf

Juniors
Who's rating us though, mate? Our season has been stuck in first gear for months, with only a flying start to the year keeping us in the 8 - which has probably warped perception as to how we are really travelling.

Let's be honest - barring any sudden and significant form reversal we will simply be making up the numbers in two weeks time. No momentum whatsoever, not a single quality 80 minute performance since about Round 3 and a forward pack that are collectively playing with a depressingly soft attitude at this time of the year.

I'd love us to be a chance, naturally, and we have the individuals who are capable of keeping us in contests despite the team's overall shyteness. But it won't be enough to get us within kooee of some of the more fancied opponents.

Absolute rubbish, what about the win against Cronulla? I don't think they'll beat Melbourne, but we can definitely beat any other side in the comp. We can beat Newcastle, the boys will be up for it. They weren't interested against the dogs, but as usual everyone is reading to much into it.

What about the attack? It's as good as it's ever been, hell its better then it was in 2006... everyone seems to have forgotten about that part of our game. Even with an under performing forward pack we're not making up the numbers, Lockyer will probably have to play his heart out but we'll give it a shake.

JW

Coach
Mate as I said, we have the individuals, but our pack in particular is simply not performing as they should be at this stage.

On current form, and i'm talking for a longer period that just last weekend, they should be comfortably exposed in the finals series. We can do it, we have the team to do it, but leaving it until a week before the finals is cutting it a bit close.

As others have said, this week will tell us plently. Win or lose, it needs to be an intense 80 minute effort and, if we find ourselves dominating early, we need to be 100% more ruthless than we've proven to be of late. Patchy stuff with the odd moment of individual brilliance isn't going to get us anywhere in finals, especially given the form we're bringing into them.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
Mate as I said, we have the individuals, but our pack in particular is simply not performing as they should be at this stage.

On current form, and i'm talking for a longer period that just last weekend, they should be comfortably exposed in the finals series. We can do it, we have the team to do it, but leaving it until a week before the finals is cutting it a bit close.

As others have said, this week will tell us plently. Win or lose, it needs to be an intense 80 minute effort and, if we find ourselves dominating early, we need to be 100% more ruthless than we've proven to be of late. Patchy stuff with the odd moment of individual brilliance isn't going to get us anywhere in finals, especially given the form we're bringing into them.

We've been inconsistent all year, due to 1 reason: injuries.

When we had our full side on the park for 2 weeks in a row we beat Cronulla and Canberra convincingly.

Oh and beating Newcastle won't prove anything, we need to beat a side that is struggling to make the 8 to be convinced Brisbane are the real deal? Comeon... they need to play someone like Manly or Melbourne

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
We've been inconsistent all year, due to 1 reason: injuries.

When we had our full side on the park for 2 weeks in a row we beat Cronulla and Canberra convincingly.

Oh and beating Newcastle won't prove anything, we need to beat a side that is struggling to make the 8 to be convinced Brisbane are the real deal? Comeon... they need to play someone like Manly or Melbourne
we just beat melbourne last week with one of the best high pressure performances of the year you dunce. i hope your players take the knights as lightly as you clearly do... because you'll be on the end of a hiding this friday night if it is the case.

JW

Coach
Agreed perverse, Newcastle is far from a dud side and have been quite solid for most of the season. Given the constant shake ups to their roster in recent times they've probably over achieved (in contrast to us) a touch as well. I've certainly been impressed by their efforts and they should continue to improve.

Neverthless Renouf, its not so much the quality our opponents this week which matters and whether we win or lose, rather our approach - which is what made yesterday's effort very dissapointing. I mean the finals are less than 2 weeks away and our team heads out against the Dogs in a soft, training run mood rather than a will to punish them. Its a cliche, but momentum coming into a finals series does help, and its going to be an ask for our blokes to suddenly come out and play intense, polished footy after months of being hot and cold.

We can do it, but Christ we need to get our arse into gear quick smart.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
we just beat melbourne last week with one of the best high pressure performances of the year you dunce. i hope your players take the knights as lightly as you clearly do... because you'll be on the end of a hiding this friday night if it is the case.

They got up for one game, big deal.. I've seen enough games this year to suggest Newcastle aren't all that. Canberra game ring a bell? Only a few weeks ago you guys were completely out played by a side we beat easily. I'm not saying it'll be an easy game on friday night, nobody ever gives Brisbane an easy game, but Newcastle are not premiership contenders and therefore beating them on Friday night means nothing.

I highly doubt Brisbane will take this game lightly..

Last edited:

Rovelli

Bench
It means everything to the Warriors, although, we should never have let it go that far. Losing to the Rabbits twice is unforgivable.

Gonna be a big game nonetheless.

They got up for one game, big deal.. I've seen enough games this year to suggest Newcastle aren't all that. Canberra game ring a bell? Only a few weeks ago you guys were completely out played by a side we beat easily. I'm not saying it'll be an easy game on friday night, nobody ever gives Brisbane an easy game, but Newcastle are not premiership contenders and therefore beating them on Friday night means nothing.

I highly doubt Brisbane will take this game lightly..

The Broncos aren't a premiership contender either on current form.

Latest posts