What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: R26 Fri :: Broncos 24 Knights 2 @ Suncorp

Round 26 Result :: Broncos v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

~knights~

Juniors
that storm game will take alot out of the knights

I bet they are real flat against the broncs :(

Pigskin

Juniors
I also expect the Knights to be a little flat ... and I expect the Broncs to turn it on deluxe

I'll be backing the Broncs 13+ (or whatever large spread is available on Betfair) and it will be over by half time

The Knights have had a great season ... but here is where they get put in their rightful place ... cannon-fodder for Melbourne or Manly at best

Oink !

8Ball

First Grade
Been expecting the Broncos to turn it on every match since Lockyer came back. I'm starting to think it won't happen. Still, broncos by 2.

Shorty

Staff member
We've been inconsistent all year, due to 1 reason: injuries.

When we had our full side on the park for 2 weeks in a row we beat Cronulla and Canberra convincingly.

Oh and beating Newcastle won't prove anything, we need to beat a side that is struggling to make the 8 to be convinced Brisbane are the real deal? Comeon... they need to play someone like Manly or Melbourne
LOL Oh please.
Due to injuries?

You've been inconsistent because your players have been lazy with their effort pure and simple.
With the line up you have you should be contending with Melbourne,but you're not you're putting in a sound effort against the wooden spooners!

Brisbane are underachieving majorly and the Knights will take advantage of that.

that storm game will take alot out of the knights

I bet they are real flat against the broncs :(
Yeah that's a big possibility,however the chance at finals footy and giving Bedsy a good send off might help.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ahh so much to play for, Brisbane farewell Wayne and Tonie in front of what I expect to be a big crowd. Should be an absolute belter.

Hopefully the rest of the Broncos players lift to send these two legends out with a last home game win (reg season)
Wayne vs Brian.....no love lost there

Jono1987

Juniors
Hilder will be out and that is a huge blow to the Knights chances. However, Gidley always seems to lift against the Broncs, coupled with the fact it will be a very healthy crowd on friday night I wouldn't be surprised if the Knights spring an upset. Knights by +1.

renouf

Juniors
With the line up you have you should be contending with Melbourne,but you're not you're putting in a sound effort against the wooden spooners!

That's a pretty stupid statement considering Melbourne have barely had an injury all year. We've lost Lockyer and Hodges for more then half our games this year, Wallace was out for a short period aswell. Take both Cooper Cronk and Falou out for half the season and see how well Melbourne go...

Mr Saab

Referee
That's a pretty stupid statement considering Melbourne have barely had an injury all year. We've lost Lockyer and Hodges for more then half our games this year, Wallace was out for a short period aswell. Take both Cooper Cronk and Falou out for half the season and see how well Melbourne go...

Shorty doesnt watch Broncos games....she has no clue

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Traditionally (with the exception of last year) I am of the understanding that Brian Smith-coached sides have a pretty damn good record in Brisbane. Here's hoping he chalks up another. Although in saying that I've been to Suncorp the last time the Knights played there and Origin this year and I've been beaten by a combined score of 101-6. Not looking good if you take that into consideration :(

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: Too late. Already got the plane tickets booked and just finalising details of tickets into the game :p

I look at it this way - its gotta be third time lucky :fist:

Big Pete

Referee
Best of luck Knights supporters.

JW, I understand your dissapointment but I agree with renouf's optimism. While our performance against the Bulldogs was far from inspiring I believe with our big guns back and firing we should be a real force.

Don't forget the match against Canberra. Despite what others thought I believe the Broncos put in a superb performance to defeat a side with so much momentum and luck (thanks to Archer's silly penalty count). If it wasn't for injuries and suspensions I believe we would've been in a much better position.

"Would've could've didn't" as they say. So it all comes down to this match. If the Broncos perform to their ability I reckon they'll win by 16. Falter and it could go either way.

JW

Coach
The Canberra performance was brilliant, Pete, agreed. Was lucky enough to be up there to watch it first hand - it was great arvo. My concerns however stem from the inconsistency. Great performances surrounded by lacklustre, 2003-mid 2006ish performances. Not the kind of run you see into the playoffs by an eventual premier. I was deeply dissapointed with the effort againt the Dogs, regardless of their quality, being just a fortnight out from the finals and with no momentum or consistent form to build on.

Nevertheless, on paper we have the side to give Manly, Melbourne and others a decent fright, with attacking options being our forte for once and Lockyer, Hodges and co in fresh condition.

But as I said earlier, one week out is cutting it close. A polished, intense performance this week will inspire much more confidence. I look forward to it.

Serc

First Grade
god damnit jd. stay away from suncorp on friday night.

Its ok champ...I broke an even bigger curse a few weeks back when I saw us actually win for the first time ever (5th attempt) when going to the game, and that includes Suncorp! :p

Shorty

Staff member
Shorty doesnt watch Broncos games....she has no clue
Not half predictable with that comment:roll:
Not at all..considering my partner is a Broncos fan and I go to more Broncos games than Cows..of course not!!!!:lol:

gong_eagle

First Grade
Broncos v Knights Preview
NRL.com

Suncorp Stadium
Friday 7.35pm
http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=52708

IT’S black and white for the Newcastle Knights when they travel over the border to the Queensland capital to take on the Broncos: win and the finals beckon, lose and a nervous wait begins.

Currently holding onto eighth spot by differential alone the Knights can be usurped by the Warriors – and possibly even the Eels if they go down to the fifth-placed Broncos.

As such there is no doubt Knights’ coach Brian Smith will be treating this match like a final, just as he did last week as his side caused a boilover by toppling the Storm to stay alive.

Should they lose to the Broncos, Smith is in the unenviable position of hoping his former team beats the Warriors, but not by a huge margin, to stay alive.

The Broncos also have plenty to play for.

They are fully aware a win could see them leapfrog the Roosters into the top four, a position that brings with it a home semi-final (contingent on the Dragons getting up over the Roosters at the same time in Sydney).

Should the Broncos lose and the Dragons win they’ll surrender fifth spot and fall back to sixth, a dangerous place to be in the McIntyre finals system.

Michael Ennis returns at hooker, displacing PJ Marsh, in the only change for the home side that defeated the Bulldogs, while the Knights’ line-up has been given some tweaking and may still change depending on the judiciary.

Marvin Karawana is currently out with Danny Wicks and Richard Fa’aoso coming onto a five-man bench; however hooker Matt Hilder is facing a contrary conduct charge for allegedly spitting on Melbourne’s Anthony Quinn.

If he is ruled out Smith will need to reshuffle his line-up but don’t expect confirmation on replacements until the last possible second of the one-hour-before-kick-off deadline.

Watch out Broncos: The cross-field kicks are coming.

The Knights are aware that only Melbourne are inferior to the Broncos at defusing cross-field kicks and they have a 64 per cent chance of a result every time they hoist the ball up and across.

With the chance to a) get a try or b) get a repeat set of six the odds have to be played if other avenues of attack fail. Denan Kemp, Joel Moon, Darius Boyd and Justin Hodges are going to be peppered.

Watch out Knights: Considering the Knights have conceded a whopping 36 penalties more than the Broncos this season it is imperative they stay on the good side of referee Tony Archer.

Thankfully for the Knights Archer has had plenty of big match experience and is unlikely to blow the pea out of the whistle (although he did infamously do as much in Origin II at this very venue).

It will be a very fine line for the Knights who need to dominate the ruck in order to slow the Broncos’ attack but who can’t afford to be back-pedalling due to a shriek of the whistle.

Where it will be won: Good old-fashioned defence.

The Knights were truly committed to the defensive cause in their upset of Melbourne and it will be this type of determination that will decide the winner here. Both sides have been similar in defence this season, with the Knights leaking just 12 more points over the year thus far.

They are also similar in the fact the middle of the field has been their weakest and that they both have one sideline that is much more vulnerable than the other.

For the Knights they have had problems defending on the left (opposition attacking to the right corner) while for the Broncos it’s the opposite.

They have issues when the opposition goes left.

Whichever side galvanises as a unit and is prepared to throw every inch of their being into the entire 80 minutes without thoughts of self preservation will win.

The History: Played 31; Broncos 22, Knights 9. The Broncos have won six of the past seven matches between the two sides, including a 34-22 victory earlier this season.

The last time Newcastle travelled to Suncorp Stadium they were smashed 71-6.

Conclusion: The Knights will be absolutely desperate, perhaps a tad more so than the home side, so they are a very good chance of pulling off the win.

Brian Smith has always loved the siege mentality of going to Brisbane and in fact he’s said winning at a packed house in the Queensland capital is one of the most satisfying parts of being a long-term coach.

The mid-week Matt Hilder circus is certainly distracting for the Knights, but Smith has lifted the troops before when things seemed grim.

Probably the biggest question mark hovering over the Knights is whether they have any petrol left in the tank after last week’s heroic effort and whether or not there are any mental scars from their last trip north that ended in a 65-point hiding.

The Broncos will start favourites but don’t write off the Knights.

Match officials: Referee – Tony Archer; Sideline Officials – Alan Shortall & Tony De Las Heras; Video ref – Tim Mander.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW); Fox Sports 2 – Delayed 1.00am.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Frederick

Staff member
Probably the biggest question mark hovering over the Knights is whether they have any petrol left in the tank after last week’s heroic effort and whether or not there are any mental scars from their last trip north that ended in a 65-point hiding.
Doubt it considering there's only about 4 players remaining from the team that played that day

Latest posts