What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: Origin I :: Wed 3 Jun :: QLD 28 NSW 18 @ Etihad

Origin 1 :: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iafeta

Referee
I thought the Thaiday no call of offside was more of a bummer for NSW. They were on a roll at that stage. Queensland were tiring.

adamkungl

Immortal
there is no way he went out. but anyway. Another Harragon f**kup for the history books.

I was pretty happy with most of the side. I'd change a few though:
McManus, completely out of his depth. Monaghan needs to be on that Wing.
Cooper in for fat sh*t Lyon.
Mullen in for Campese? Both halves were pretty bad but I think the more we change the closer we get to square one, yet again.

Ausguy

Coach
we could argue all night about the forward pass try nsw were awarded to... it only went 2 metres forward....

move on everyone and im a nsw supporter, who cares, we were fuggin hopeless, we will get pumped 3 nil.

Kiki

First Grade
that was definitely a try. anyone with eyes can see that. thats one of the worst ref decisions in an origin that ive ever seen.

having said that, the blues let it get to them and they shouldnt have. we had the points in us just not the confidence.

effnic

Bench
My thoughts:

- Where the f**k was Lyon? One sideline break... ffs! We need more from our centres!

:lol: How is it Lyons fault they planned to keep playing qld up the middle and not even pass the ball out lyons way, it was obvious to any person with rugby league knowledge Bellamy wanted the game to be a forwards battle but u just cant see that. And we all saw what he can do when he did get the ball.

Rodent

Bench
I can't believe how many league fans still don't know what a forward pass is. Where it is thrown from and where it is caught have no real relevance. Someone on here described it so well. If you drop a tennis ball out of your car window whilst sitting at the lights it will bounce up and down on the spot. Now what would happen if you dropped it out the window when you are driving at the speed Jarrod Hayne was running (say 28-30km/h)? Would you expect it to bounce up and down on the spot? Of course not, it will bounce forward at the same speed you're driving at but it will decelerate due to friction etc.
For those that don't understand physics, just have a look where Jarrod Hayne was at the moment his pass hit the turf. Sure the ball landed in front of where he passed it but the ball landed behind Jarrod. That is because he threw the ball back. Despite throwing it back, the ball was still travelling at almost his running speed forward and that is why it landed in the in goal. This is NOT a forward pass. Of course if Hayne was standing still when he threw the pass and it had landed in the in goal then the argument of "it landed 2m in front of where he passed it from" would hold water.
Get it? If I have helped just 1 person understand why it was not a forward pass I'll be happy. It is one of the least understood principles in our game:?

Do you have a photo proving he did step on the line lockyrulz?

0,,6657176,00.jpg

Mr Saab

Referee
that was definitely a try. anyone with eyes can see that. thats one of the worst ref decisions in an origin that ive ever seen.

having said that, the blues let it get to them and they shouldnt have. we had the points in us just not the confidence.

You have not see much then.

Game 1 2000....Knock ons galore and it resulted in Tallis calling Harrigan a cheat

Game 3 2002....Lockyer denied a fair try by the video referee. QLD would have won the series and not had the draw

Game 3 2006....Brett Hodgson knocks off when attempting to catch a bomb and NSW score.

Apey

Staff member
I can't believe how many league fans still don't know what a forward pass is. Where it is thrown from and where it is caught have no real relevance. Someone on here described it so well. If you drop a tennis ball out of your car window whilst sitting at the lights it will bounce up and down on the spot. Now what would happen if you dropped it out the window when you are driving at the speed Jarrod Hayne was running (say 28-30km/h)? Would you expect it to bounce up and down on the spot? Of course not, it will bounce forward at the same speed you're driving at but it will decelerate due to friction etc.
For those that don't understand physics, just have a look where Jarrod Hayne was at the moment his pass hit the turf. Sure the ball landed in front of where he passed it but the ball landed behind Jarrod. That is because he threw the ball back. Despite throwing it back, the ball was still travelling at almost his running speed forward and that is why it landed in the in goal. This is NOT a forward pass. Of course if Hayne was standing still when he threw the pass and it had landed in the in goal then the argument of "it landed 2m in front of where he passed it from" would hold water.
Get it? If I have helped just 1 person understand why it was not a forward pass I'll be happy. It is one of the least understood principles in our game:?

funnily enough I use to have trouble imagining this until I started Physics this year at Uni :lol:

nqcowboy87

Bench
did anyone notice at the scrum in the last 10 minutes i think after gidleys massive balls up in the in goal, where nsw went to push in the scrum and archer called them up and told them not to push till the ball was in, thurston went to feed it and it seemed he just rolled it down the side without even putting it in the scrum

mxlegend99

Referee
That angle makes it look as though his foot is over the line, but it still doesn't show his foot touching it. From that angle you can't tell whether his heel is flat on the ground and touching the line, or if his heel was above the ground the whole time. From the reverse angle you can see the grass between his foot and the whiteline at the same frame. Which means there's a chance his heel never actually touched the line. That angle doesn't show his heel very clearly, so it's not the best angle to judge unless you're wanting to disallow the try regardless of the facts.

There's not a single angle that actually showed his foot *touching* the line. Different angles tell different stories. Without an angle that was looking directly down the sideline from both the front and back at ground level, it's impossible to tell if his foot actually touched the line.

It deserved BOTD atleast. BOTD is meant to be awarded to the attacking team, and only the most biased of fans could suggest that there's no doubt at all here. Every week they disallow several tries that have much more obvious things wrong with them, and aren't half as good as that one would have been.

The only bright side out of the decision, is it showed one area that NSW really need to work on. Any time a decision went against us QLD absolutely destroyed us. They got a penalty just after that then scored. They then got another soft penalty and scored. Then not long after that scored again. We barely came close to touching the ball in that period.

QLD have had plenty of dodgy decisions go against them over the years, and manage to move on a lot better then these blokes did.

Ausguy

Coach

im going to presume this was directed at me....

i fully understand the ruling, my opinion is it went forward out of his hands. It was a forward pass. If you dont agree fine this is a forum after all.

Kiki

First Grade
You have not see much then.

Game 1 2000....Knock ons galore and it resulted in Tallis calling Harrigan a cheat

Game 3 2002....Lockyer denied a fair try by the video referee. QLD would have won the series and not had the draw

Game 3 2006....Brett Hodgson knocks off when attempting to catch a bomb and NSW score.

yes i said ONE of the worst.

benj4

Juniors
I am still laughing at all the calls for mass sackings from some NSW fans. Probably only need one or two changes at the MOST. Like Phil Gould said, NSW's best chance is to pick a core team and stick with it for more than one game. Lockyer, Thurston and Smith have been playing together for years. Of course Wallace, Campese and Farah weren't going to be at that level so soon. There isn't a half combination out there that is just going to come in and quickly gel like Locky and JT do.

dragonfire

Bench
I am still laughing at all the calls for mass sackings from some NSW fans. Probably only need one or two changes at the MOST. Like Phil Gould said, NSW's best chance is to pick a core team and stick with it for more than one game. Lockyer, Thurston and Smith have been playing together for years. Of course Wallace, Campese and Farah weren't going to be at that level so soon. There isn't a half combination out there that is just going to come in and quickly gel like Locky and JT do.

Said it previously but i think QLD would be even better if it was Thurston and Prince calling the shots. I thought that Lockyer really didnt contribute greatly for QLD.

Rodent

Bench
Ausguy, fair enough. The thing is if it went forward out of the hands then Hayne would have had to accelerate after passing it to overtake the ball before it hit the ground.