What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$1 Billion

applesauce

Bench
While I confess to knowing very little about the last TV deal, TV ratings & the upcoming TV deal, I want to ask the question: What happens if a network does pay overs to either NRL or AFL & they just can't sustain it then go belly up? This could be catastrophic for either code with expansions & raising the salary cap etc. Has this been discussed before?

Swamp

Sport in Australia is a massive money spinner. Regular series like the Simpsons which cost over 30k an episode and don't rate anywhere near as high are the first cuts a TV station makes before losing a product like NRL/AFL.

A TV station would everything in it's power in dropping other TV shows if their financial situation got bad enough. 7 and Ten have unprecedented profits right now (for them).

It isn't going to happen :)

Stormcap

Juniors
While I confess to knowing very little about the last TV deal, TV ratings & the upcoming TV deal, I want to ask the question: What happens if a network does pay overs to either NRL or AFL & they just can't sustain it then go belly up? This could be catastrophic for either code with expansions & raising the salary cap etc. Has this been discussed before?

Swamp

This actually happened in the German soccer league, not a TV station but a company that bought rights and onsold them went under and the government had to bail the league out.

Having said that both codes are very solid raters which is why they are sought after. Alot of shows are an unknown like that terminator series for example, it was hugely pushed by 9 and completely flopped. Sports dont do that, they may go up and down a little, but they are pretty predictable in how many people will watch. So stations can thropw big money at them knowing they will do ok.

I know with the AFL that 10 and 7 dont make alot on the actual games but it gives them alot of lead in to their other shows, they can advertise there other shows knowing that people are watching and your more likely to watch the news and maybe the late movie on 7 if your already watching the footy.

Theres alot of different surveys and ratings out there but its fair to sat that AFL and NRL are pretty close in ratings, but the AFL is longer and can fit more ads so its of more value.

No doubt the NRL got ripped last time but if the AFL gets $1bil the NRL is going to less. How much less is the thing.

The NRL cant just sit back and hope they get a huge tv deal they have to start pushing memberships and crowds and looking at others things.

intentcity

First Grade
^ +1

i just wish the NRL would get off their ass's and make some changes to maximise TV deals, its a shambles at the moment IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
memberships don;t count on AFl revenue though just at club revenue level. I would imagine they earn a fair whack from owning and leasing the two Melbourne stadiums to clubs and of course the internet rights which we gave away and they got $12mill for! Still leaves them earning $80-100mill more than us from somewhere?

Memberships are def the cash line at club level. WC Eagles get over $10mill a year just in membership revenue!

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
memberships don;t count on AFl revenue though just at club revenue level. I would imagine they earn a fair whack from owning and leasing the two Melbourne stadiums to clubs and of course the internet rights which we gave away and they got $12mill for! Still leaves them earning $80-100mill more than us from somewhere?

Memberships are def the cash line at club level. WC Eagles get over $10mill a year just in membership revenue!

meth labs perhaps?

the AFL dont own ethiad, they will own it outright come 2016 but untill then i dont think they get a cracker out of that, the MCC own the G, but thats a bit different, the AFL would get a slice of that but not all that much, most of the upgrades have been government subsidised over the years, although the AFL have chipped in.

also, maybe the NRL prop up certain teams more than the AFL do, although im not sure about that, merchandise would be a money spinner for the AFL, i think the AFL own the rights to that, but again, im not 100% sure.

also, not all the TV money went to the clubs, if the AFL can spend 200mill on WS alone maybe the clubs didnt get as much as we think.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
meth labs perhaps?

the AFL dont own ethiad, they will own it outright come 2016 but untill then i dont think they get a cracker out of that, the MCC own the G, but thats a bit different, the AFL would get a slice of that but not all that much, most of the upgrades have been government subsidised over the years, although the AFL have chipped in.

also, maybe the NRL prop up certain teams more than the AFL do, although im not sure about that, merchandise would be a money spinner for the AFL, i think the AFL own the rights to that, but again, im not 100% sure.

also, not all the TV money went to the clubs, if the AFL can spend 200mill on WS alone maybe the clubs didnt get as much as we think.

The NRL doesn't prop up any clubs... Only the AFL keeps teams alive on life support.

intentcity

First Grade
The NRL doesn't prop up any clubs... Only the AFL keeps teams alive on life support.

oops sorry, i shouldve said that news limited prop the storm up to the tune of around 6/7/8 mill per year, me bad, even after winning 3 premierships.

FWIW, the AFL dont prop up melbourne clubs, especially when they secretly wanted 1 or 2 to go bankrupt so they could force them to "relocate", and they certainly dont prop up SA or WA clubs, im sure they've givin the swans and lions a helping hand in the past though, but thats because they're protecting their investment, they certainly dont need to do it now though.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
oops sorry, i shouldve said that news limited prop the storm up to the tune of around 6/7/8 mill per year, me bad, even after winning 3 premierships.

FWIW, the AFL dont prop up melbourne clubs, especially when they secretly wanted 1 or 2 to go bankrupt so they could force them to "relocate", and they certainly dont prop up SA or WA clubs, im sure they've givin the swans and lions a helping hand in the past though, but thats because they're protecting their investment, they certainly dont need to do it now though.

So, you're agreeing with what I said? The NRL doesn't prop up any clubs whilst the AFL not only props up 30 year old expansion clubs but also gives handouts to teams in the games' heartland? Keep up the good work.

MsStorm

Bench

I think the Swans and Lions still get some sort of allowance from the afl.

intentcity

First Grade
So, you're agreeing with what I said? The NRL doesn't prop up any clubs whilst the AFL not only props up 30 year old expansion clubs but also gives handouts to teams in the games' heartland? Keep up the good work.

im sorry, where did i say the AFL prop up "heartland clubs?", i said the AFL wouldnt prop up struggling melbourne clubs because the AFL secretly (or not so secretly) want them to fold so the could relocate them, they tryed it with nrth melbourne but nrth found the money to survive, and mate, they dont prop up the swans anymore, or the lions for that matter, they havnt for a very long time too, clear enough? i really dont know how you could read my last post and come to those conclusions TBH.

intentcity

First Grade
I think the Swans and Lions still get some sort of allowance from the afl.

NO.

they get cap concessions (which they pay for), cost of living allowence(syd), no handouts, they dont need handouts, the lions average around the same crowd size as the broncos FWIW, syd crowds are also comparable with other SYD teams, they both have left behind supporters in melbourne and they both have good membership bases.

Last edited:

MsStorm

Bench
NO.

they get cap concessions (which they pay for), cost of living allowence(syd), no handouts, they dont need handouts, the lions average around the same crowd size as the broncos FWIW, syd crowds are also comparable with other SYD teams, they both have left behind supporters in melbourne and they both have good membership bases.

But they (Swans) still get a cost of living allowance...
I am sure the Lions get something as well.

applesauce

Bench
NO.

The difference being though the Broncos get 350k in TV rating per game while Lions would be hovering around 100k (brisbane figures).

intentcity

First Grade
The difference being though the Broncos get 350k in TV rating per game while Lions would be hovering around 100k (brisbane figures).

yeah but the lions rate well in the AFL states, especially melbourne, the lions have a pretty big following in melbourne, lots of fitzroy supporters still follow them, ditto the swans.

Slackboy72

Coach

If they give handouts it's for memberships they sell on behalf of the clubs.
IIRC most the GSS at the MCG is for AFL memberships, not club memberships.
I'm pretty sure there is an annual report that can tell you all the amounts each club gets.

Latest posts