What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R1 | Sat | Panthers 34-16 Raiders | CUA

Result: Panthers v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skeepe

Immortal
Terry Campese is far from Darren Lockyer '06.

Not THAT far really. He will need to improve from last year's form though.

I have, he's easily exposed. Potentially an awesome backrower and would've been the perfect off the bench.

He's played a grand total of 3 first grade games in the centres, and one of those was only a half a game where he started in the second row and moved once Monaghan got injured. In those games, which include the Raiders vs Dragons game at Canberra Stadium, he has scored two tries and not been found out in defence once. How do you figure he's "easily exposed"?

Good to hear on Learoyd Lahrs. That evens things out a little.

I'd still take Penrith's pack at this stage over the Raiders.

Then you are a very poor judge of talent. The Raiders pack will steamroll every other pack in the competition - just you watch.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Still a good two leagues away. Once he can perform away from the nation's capital I may agree.

Are you sure about that Skeepe? Really confident? Because he's yet to taste victory from that position and was average against the rabble that was the Warriors of 09 and again far from spectacular against the Broncos. I don't recall him scoring two tries in that position either. I know he scored one, but that's that.

Coming up against Jennings, he could find himself easily exposed.

What makes you say that? For one, you don't have a hooker yet. Hookers are generally the difference. Panthers have a superior backrow and Civoniceiva upfront is far superior to pillow and Tilse.

Still a good two leagues away. Once he can perform away from the nation's capital I may agree.

Are you sure about that Skeepe? Really confident? Because he's yet to taste victory from that position and was average against the rabble that was the Warriors of 09 and again far from spectacular against the Broncos. I don't recall him scoring two tries in that position either. I know he scored one, but that's that.

What makes you say that? For one, you don't have a hooker yet. Hookers are generally the difference. Panthers have a superior backrow and Civoniceiva upfront is far superior to pillow and Tilse.

there is a very good chance pritchard will play like a broken down goat, Plum is a raiders reject who could start in the backrow.

Raiders backrow may very well look like

Harrison
TLL
Tongue (after 20 mins)

skeepe

Immortal

As I said, he'll need to improve markedly on last season. When Campese performs the way he did at the end of '08, it's a marvellous sight.

Extremely sure. Yet to taste victory? Good one.

Raiders 24 vs Dragons 12. Come on, I'm sure you remember. Everyone else seems to. He didn't score a try in that game. Scored a try in the very, very close 23-20 loss to the Bulldogs (the Raiders improved markedly once he came on) and scored against the Warriors.

Forgot about that Broncos game, that was a late change.

He's a very good player, regardless of where he's playing. I will expect him to have improved quite a bit in the off-season. He was extremely impressive in the All Stars game, and is a very capable centre.

I'm more worried about Reece Robinson or Brett Kelly (whoever they choose for that wing) being exposed than I am about Thompson.
[/quote]

Alan Tongue is a pretty handy player, you may have heard of him. Travis Waddell is improving all the time, and should establish himself as one of the premier hookers in the competition by season's end.

Kevin Kingston and Masada Iosefa are hardly world beaters themselves.

The Panthers backrow is good, but Harrison, Learoyd-Lahrs and Miller are each more talented than their opposite numbers, despite receiving little to no recognition of that fact.

Apart from Petero, the Panthers have absolutely nothing up front. Shillington is one of the best props in the country, as evidenced by his rise and rise through the rep ranks, Tilse would be similarly regarded if he were wearing a blue or red V on his jersey and I actually rate him higher than Shillington, while Logan off the bench is a formidable player and in career-best form, or so the trial reports go.

Petero is a very, very good player, but on balance the entire Raiders forward pack is streets ahead of anything the Panthers, and indeed pretty much any other team in the NRL bar Souths, could offer.

Big Pete

Referee
Yes, hypothetically TLL could be playing with one leg and be useless. Tongue is far from the player he was as well.

Again, I'd take the Penrith forward pack over the Raiders at this stage.

skeepe

Immortal
Yes, hypothetically TLL could be playing with one leg and be useless. Tongue is far from the player he was as well.

Again, I'd take the Penrith forward pack over the Raiders at this stage.

You're more than entitled to your opinion.

Your opinion just happens to be wrong is all.

But you don't need to take my word for it. Watch next Saturday, you'll see.

typicalfan

Coach
This game will come down to the Raiders defense in the middle of the ruck, if they can handle the Panthers big men they will be in with a chance. Interesting too see how Burns and Walsh go with 2 points on the line if they fire I think it will be Panthers by 14.

Big Pete

Referee
As I said, he'll need to improve markedly on last season. When Campese performs the way he did at the end of '08, it's a marvellous sight.

Yet even at his peak he was shown up when playing away from Canberra.

Eg. against the Broncos at Suncorp.

Extremely sure. Yet to taste victory? Good one

My mistake! For some reason when reviewing the RLA guide his named got past me.

I'm more worried about Reece Robinson or Brett Kelly (whoever they choose for that wing) being exposed than I am about Thompson.

Fair point. But Thompson is no Monaghan and he's far from the quality of Jennings in the 3/4's.
Alan Tongue is a pretty handy player, you may have heard of him. Travis Waddell is improving all the time, and should establish himself as one of the premier hookers in the competition by season's end.

Tongue is a very average hooker and hasn't been the same player you Raiders fans rub yourselves silly over since 2007. Waddell is still a kid.

Fair point about the Panthers but at least they're natural rakes and are experienced first grade participants.

The Panthers backrow is good, but Harrison, Learoyd-Lahrs and Miller are each more talented than their opposite numbers, despite receiving little to no recognition of that fact.

Lewis is far better than Miller.

I'd generally take Waterhouse over either Harrison or Learoyd Lahrs.

Pritchard can also beat Harrison and Lahrs on his day. Although generally yes I would take either of them over Pritchard.

Petero is a very, very good player, but on balance the entire Raiders forward pack is streets ahead of anything the Panthers, and indeed pretty much any other team in the NRL bar Souths, could offer.

Tilse still needs to prove himself. Shillo still isn't even a proven represenative player.

Civoniceiva is still easily superior to either. Penrith also have a number of good up and comers who can easily slot in. But yes, at this stage I could see Raiders having marginally the better front row.

Also, Poore and Moi Moi > Shillo and Tilse.

mxlegend99

Referee
If the Panthers can bring their trial form into Round 1 then we should comfortably win this game. Although we haven't won Round 1 in years and with Matt Elliott as coach there's no real guaranteed wins. So i'll just be happy if we grab the two points regardless of how scrappy the game is.

Truthy746

Juniors
I watched Penrith play their trial match against Parramatta, and I was extremely impressed with the way they were able to convincingly defeat the 2009 grand finalists. Dark horses for the title of 2010 NRL Premiers that is for sure. However, I have always had a soft spot for the Raiders due to their attacking potency and this year I feel will see a big impovement from the men in Canberra. But I won't be backing them until they can prove that they can win away from home, which I can't see against a Panthers outfit that should start the season hitting the ground running.

Panthers by 12

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In your opinion.

The Raiders are easily a top 4 side, referees pending.

If you're not a deadset gee-up, have you thought of sitting back and reading what you write and waking up to yourself?

referees pending is a pissweak disclaimer to make. EVERY team, whether you like it or not, has a rough trot with refs, they aren't perfect.

Extolling your clubs virtues while alleging they can't do it if the refs are against them is a cop-out. Get back in your hole.

Devilous

Juniors
If Penrith play as well as they did in the Parramatta trial we will be in with a really good shot of starting the season with a win.

Bodsy

Juniors
I think Raiders in an upset, everyone talking about Panthers pre-season form. They'll go out and throw the game away IMO.

Raiders by 10.

aussies1st

Staff member
Given Herbert will be our 7 and away from home, can't see us winning. Hope to be proved wrong though.